Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 00:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 7D firmware released - good upgrades!

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2012 01:17 |  #466

kfreels wrote in post #14824388 (external link)
Well, found a flaw in it already. I set the file name to be K7D_ and they all ready _7D_. No matter what I make the first letter, it becomes an underscore.

That is because you are using AdobeRGB as your image profile. I think that they forgot to explain that or perhaps it needs to be changeable to what you really want.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

sponsored links
javierz0509
744 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 07, 2012 01:19 |  #467

kfreels wrote in post #14824394 (external link)
Yeah. Mine says the same thing. Odd really.

something here

Follow me on Facebook (external link) - Canon 5D MK3 - 85mm f/1.8 - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

marzel
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 07, 2012 01:20 as a reply to  @ Bill Boehme's post |  #468

Upgraded mine. Working great so far.

I did notice the "saving movie file" localization (im assuming its a localization thing) error ;)

My camera keeps telling me 22 max buffer size, but I havent actually tried it out yet.

Im really liking the zoomed image scrolling speed!

javierz0509
744 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 07, 2012 01:21 |  #469

marzel wrote in post #14824403 (external link)
Upgraded mine. Working great so far.

I did notice the "saving movie file" localization (im assuming its a localization thing) error ;)

My camera keeps telling me 22 max buffer size, but I havent actually tried it out yet.

Im really liking the zoomed image scrolling speed!

where do u see the buffer size?

Follow me on Facebook (external link) - Canon 5D MK3 - 85mm f/1.8 - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

liquidstone
insane Bird photographer
1,089 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 07, 2012 01:22 |  #470

kfreels wrote in post #14824388 (external link)
Well, found a flaw in it already. I set the file name to be K7D_ and they all read _7D_. No matter what I make the first letter, it becomes an underscore.

Oh, wait, it gets better. If I try to intentionally put an underscore there, it says that "_" cannot be the first letter. lol
SO I HAVE to use a letter or number and not an underscore but whatever I choose will be changed to an underscore. Wow.

If your color space is in Adobe RGB (in camera), the file name will always start with an underscore.

Romy Ocon, Philippine Wild Birds (external link)
Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.

marzel
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 07, 2012 01:24 |  #471

javierz0509 wrote in post #14824406 (external link)
where do u see the buffer size?

To the right of the battery status icon when looking at the screen. Half-press your shutter and it should tell you. It used to always say 15 for me (in raw of course). 22 is still an upgrade, but Im wondering if thats a mis-calculation.

Im also using a Delkin UDMA-6 32GB card that does 105Mb read, 67/Mb write.

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 07, 2012 01:25 |  #472

kfreels wrote in post #14824307 (external link)
So here's a dumb question. The instructions say to check the file size on the website to confirm. I know why. But my file size doesn't match. The site says the .FIR file should be 17,462,140 bytes. I have 17,053KB which translates to 17,462,272 bytes. I have extra bytes I don't know what to do with!

Can someone else please confirm my byte count is correct on a working install?

Open a command prompt (windows) or terminal (osx), CD to the appropriate directory, and check the ACTUAL file size with 'dir' (windows) or 'ls' (osx). Either way the firmware update should use a file size check and a checksum, the chance of a bad firmware update (other than the battery going flat on you) is incredibly low.

marzel
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 07, 2012 01:27 as a reply to  @ phreeky's post |  #473

Right click on firmware file->Properties

There should be 2 properties (in Windoze) "Size" and "Size on Disk". Match "Size" with the "Size" properties of the file copied onto your CF card while still in the card reader, and if they are identical, you should be good to go!

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2012 01:28 |  #474

liquidstone wrote in post #14824409 (external link)
If your color space is in Adobe RGB (in camera), the file name will always start with an underscore.

:oops: I was just coming back here to post that and you beat me to it. Now I feel sheepish. I think I just need to go to bed. Work in 5 hours. lol

Anyways, all is good here. Went very smooth. File conversion from RAW to JPEG is kind of neat but it says it is saving the "movie" but otherwise all seems in order. I'm glad I didn't have to go through and reset all my custom functions - they all remained as they were. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 07, 2012 01:33 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #475

WFT users - Caution!

I tried it out, and it turns out that as long as Canon don't post version 1.0.7 for the WFT-E5 network grip, you can not use it together with the 7D, if you upgrade the 7D to 2.0.0.

Now the WFT-E5 is a pretty rare accessory, but still, if you need it with your camera, stay off the 2.0.0 version until you also can download an update for the network grip.

Anders

jack880
Goldmember
2,852 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 07, 2012 01:36 |  #476

I'm in the uk - any reason to wait for uk site to have it or can i use us version?

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jackhenriques/ (external link)
1DX, 7D, 20D, G7X II, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 16-35 f/2.8 L II, 50 f/1.8 II, 50 f/1.4, TS-E 17 f/4 L, 8-15 f/4 L, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, x1.4 extender II, Kenko extension tubes, 430 EX II x 2, DJI Mavic Air

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 07, 2012 01:37 as a reply to  @ jack880's post |  #477

The firmware is the same globally.

Anders

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2012 01:44 |  #478

liquidstone wrote in post #14824409 (external link)

I don't know if they mention that in the new manual, but it might be a good idea to let the user decide whether the color space should make a difference in the file name.

I like your long telephoto shots with the stacked teleconverters. I have stacked two TC's, but never even considered using three. I especially like the capture of the ISS. How did you set up the camera so that it was ready to capture the ISS -- I know that it moves very fast across the sky.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

Sven-EOS
481 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 07, 2012 01:51 |  #479

Reading about this update promted me to finaly get a 7D as an upgrade from my four year old 450D.
Got the very last one at my local dealer!
Tomorrow I shall date it up.

"Luck is probability taken personally"
Chip Denmanus

javierz0509
744 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 07, 2012 01:56 |  #480

mines says 23, how come others are getting 27? faster memory if so which one?

sponsored links

257,023 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 7D firmware released - good upgrades!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.