Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Dec 2005 (Tuesday) 02:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

usefulness of center column ?

psychonaut
93 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 13, 2005 02:10 |  #1

so as i understand it for maximum stability center column should not be extended or not used at all. this seems to imply that ideally i want legs that can go sufficiently high without center column.

Gitzo G-1348 fits the bill ... 166 cm tall without column.

but the question is, suppose you have that model, would you still want a center column ? perhaps the short center column that they offer optionally.

i am thinking that without center column one could run into some problems when taking pictures in portrait mode, namely the camera might not clear the legs at some angles ?

adding a center column is expensive though, its $50 for the column itself ( the short one ) plus $70 for the locking/sliding mechanism. and i dont like the cost-efficient the kit with the long column because longer column IMHO would add extra weight and sacrifice minimum height all for nothing, because the legs are already tall enough and dont need extra extension ?

what do the kind folks feel would be the optimum configuration as far as legs and center columns go ?

sponsored links
jjonsalt
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 13, 2005 11:10 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

A center column that reverses can be very handy at times.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 13, 2005 17:37 |  #3

And a center column that can not only be reversed (head on the bottom, under the legs) but mounted horizontal (to get your camera looking straight down or possibly even over a wall, etc.) is even better. The Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BPro is one which has this feature. I use its special versatility frequently.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

psychonaut
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 13, 2005 18:35 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #4

SkipD wrote:
And a center column that can not only be reversed (head on the bottom, under the legs) but mounted horizontal (to get your camera looking straight down or possibly even over a wall, etc.) is even better. The Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BPro is one which has this feature. I use its special versatility frequently.

well i already bought the 3021Bpro last year ( not for myself, but as a present ) ... the person is very happy with the tripod but to my knowledge never used the column in any position other than the way it comes orginally. i really dont feel like this is crucial to have ... but its a good tripod for the money, no regrets buying it.

HOWEVER this time around when im buying a tripod for MYSELF i want something better ... and by that i mean lightweight and rock solid.

towards that end IMHO the tripod must have 2 things :

1 - be made out of carbon fiber.
2 - be tall enough that center column would not be needed in 90% cases.

neither Manfrotto 3021Bpro nor Gitzo Explorer fit those criteria.

Gitzo G-1348/1349 is what i feel i really need. the only question is do i get it with no center column ( 1348 ) with the standard center column ( 1349 ) or do i buy the legs with no column and then an extra-short column separately ?

and the only reason i can think of for needing the column is without it i think i might not be able to pan with the camera in portrait orientation ( if not using an L-plate ) because RRS BH-55 head has a very low sitting ball and the camera might run into the tripod's legs. did anybody have that problem ?

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 13, 2005 21:46 as a reply to  @ psychonaut's post |  #5

psychonaut wrote:
towards that end IMHO the tripod must have 2 things :

1 - be made out of carbon fiber.
2 - be tall enough that center column would not be needed in 90% cases.

Sounds like a good target. The main advantage of CF is reduction of vibrations, light weight is very secondary. Most people on the forums struggle with twist/collar Vs Lever lock legs as part of their tripod decision. Its fairly personal, I find I like lever lock (I have a Gitzo too).

I recently did a test by eliminating my center (CF) column in my Bogen 3444D and replacing it with the lower plastic fitting, which is just an inch tall. Cranked down the column lock knob as firmly as I could by hand. Put the BH 55 on to this nub of a post. Put in my camera with my longest lens/TC combination and looked to see how much the image vibrated with MLU, without MLU etc. Repeated the same test with my center post and surprise, the camera vibrated less WITH the center post (down of course). I figure the CF coupling was as, or more, sturdy and the CF center post helped to reduce vibration.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

chtgrubbs
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Dec 13, 2005 21:57 |  #6

I use the center post all the time to make slight changes in elevation to the camera which will affect view point and perspective and hence composition. If I didn't have a center column it would be a real pain to continually adjust the legs to get the camera in the right position.

psychonaut
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 14, 2005 01:47 as a reply to  @ chtgrubbs's post |  #7

to Mike K - i think the real reason you saw less vibration with the center post is that it simply added weight close to the camera body. i bet if that center post was made out of lead instead of carbon fiber you would see even less vibration ;)

mass loading is one of the most effective ways to reduce vibration in high end speakers for example. some high end home speakers ( for example avalon acoustics, or wilson audio ) weigh so much that they simply cannot be moved without some special equipment.

this is also one of the reasons why i think that a ballhead should not necessarily be as light as possible.

to Chtgrubbs - i understand what you're saying ... hmm =/

psychonaut
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 14, 2005 02:31 |  #8

ok so i guess i want a column.

i narrowed it down to two B&H Kits ( i live in NYC, ill go to B&H on sunday probably to buy the legs ).

option 1: Gitzo G-1329 ( which is a kit using G-1325 legs and G-1318 carbon fiber center column )

option 2: Gitzo G-1349 ( which is a kit using G-1348 legs and G-1318 carbon fiber center column )

i am 5'10" or 179 cm tall, and the real question is - is there any point for me to go with the longer 1348 legs vs the 1325 legs ?

on one hand the 1348 weighs only 0.3 lbs more, and its folded length is actually 2 inches less ( due to having four sections instead of 3 ) but on the other hand i dont think i will have use for the extra height ... or will ? i can only think of two situations where i might have use for it - shooting something overhead, or using the tripod on an inclined surface where not all legs will be extended to same degree ... but realistically how often will that be the case ? and for those occasions i could just extend the column on the 1325.

i can't decide, HELP !

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 14, 2005 20:41 as a reply to  @ psychonaut's post |  #9

psychonaut wrote:
to Mike K - i think the real reason you saw less vibration with the center post is that it simply added weight close to the camera body. i bet if that center post was made out of lead instead of carbon fiber you would see even less vibration ;)

this is also one of the reasons why i think that a ballhead should not necessarily be as light as possible.

TO psychonaut
I really doubt your hypothesis above. This is a 1DmkII camera witha 1.4X canon TC and 400 5.6 lens with a RRS L bracket on top of a RRS BH55. The mass of all this stuff atop the center column is a good 6-7 lbs. The center column is CF and about 15" long, cant be more than 1/2 lb. The change is mass with or without the column is a very small % change and is isolated from the camera body by the L bracket and the BH55.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 15, 2005 00:17 |  #10

I have the 3021BPro, and I don't use the center column about 98% of the time. I VERY rarely extend it (usually only if I'm on a chair, and I need a high perspective) Never extend it for normal shooting. I have used the tripod column as a boom arm (the 3021Pro's specialty), and it has come in handy on a few occasions (long exposure where I had to get the camera over a fence, and macro).

Still, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the short column for it, leaving that on almost all the time, and making the head change if I'm going to shoot with the arm. I would like to shoot low to the ground more than sideways, and removing the bottom of the center column is a pain. I'd leave the bottom off all the time, but the top half of the standard column isn't particularly stable. Nice thing is, with my L bracket, I can shoot horizontals AT ground level on a tripod (lower the legs, flop the tripod head and mount it to the vertical mount...you can put the camera 1mm above the ground like this.) :)

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

Blue ­ Deuce
"I don't say anything witty"
3,751 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 15, 2005 07:08 as a reply to  @ Jman13's post |  #11

I removed the center column and mounted a Kirk support base. I dont feel combfortable mounting a large telephoto on a column. I think its better to keep the center of gravity as close as possible to where the tripod legs meet for balance and support.

psychonaut
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 15, 2005 08:55 as a reply to  @ Jman13's post |  #12

Jman13 wrote:
I have the 3021BPro, and I don't use the center column about 98% of the time. I VERY rarely extend it (usually only if I'm on a chair, and I need a high perspective) Never extend it for normal shooting. I have used the tripod column as a boom arm (the 3021Pro's specialty), and it has come in handy on a few occasions (long exposure where I had to get the camera over a fence, and macro).

Still, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the short column for it, leaving that on almost all the time, and making the head change if I'm going to shoot with the arm. I would like to shoot low to the ground more than sideways, and removing the bottom of the center column is a pain. I'd leave the bottom off all the time, but the top half of the standard column isn't particularly stable. Nice thing is, with my L bracket, I can shoot horizontals AT ground level on a tripod (lower the legs, flop the tripod head and mount it to the vertical mount...you can put the camera 1mm above the ground like this.) :)

would you still want to have a short ( or any ) column if you didnt have 3021Bpro and could mount the head directly to your legs ?

psychonaut
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 15, 2005 09:07 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #13

Mike K wrote:
TO psychonaut
I really doubt your hypothesis above. This is a 1DmkII camera witha 1.4X canon TC and 400 5.6 lens with a RRS L bracket on top of a RRS BH55. The mass of all this stuff atop the center column is a good 6-7 lbs. The center column is CF and about 15" long, cant be more than 1/2 lb. The change is mass with or without the column is a very small % change and is isolated from the camera body by the L bracket and the BH55.
Mike K

which L-Bracket is it ? the one that is now discontinued ?

im trying to figure out if i will have problems in portrait mode if i dont have center column ... an L-Bracket would solve those problems but i think they discontinued it ? they dont have L-plate specific to my camera and their multi-camera L-plate for some reason does not inspire confidence in me ... and costs more than a CF center column would in an B&H kit.

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 15, 2005 12:02 as a reply to  @ psychonaut's post |  #14

Psychonaut - If I didn't have the Bpro with the option to do the boom arm, no I would not have a center column at all. I extend the column on maybe one out of 500 shots, and it's only for a high perspective. The only reason I have a column at all is so I can use the horizontal arm feature of the BPro, but I'm definitely buying the short column here in the next few weeks. I'd much rather be able to go low than horizontal easily. If I really need it, I'll switch it out with the standard column.

As for the L-bracket, what camera do you have? I would imagine that between Kirk and RRS, you'll be able to get one that fits your camera. My L-bracket (well, all my Arca-Swiss stuff, clamp, plates, etc) is from Kirk. Switching from the Manfrotto RC2 clamp to the AS clamp w/ L bracket was the best money I spent on stability.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 15, 2005 12:22 |  #15

psychonaut --

I'm shorter than you, so don't have quite the needs. The gitzo explorer is almost tall enough for me, and with feet spread a little, it works with only a couple inches of center post extension. a couple inches is no big deal.

the tripod is reasonably rigid with the center post jutting out at a weird angle, which is neat for macros & close-ups.

as for weight, most of these tripods come with little hooks at the bottom of the centerpost. hang your camera bag off it, rather than carrying a heavier centerpost.

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

sponsored links

6,770 views & 0 likes for this thread
usefulness of center column ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.