Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 30 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 03:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Car photographer... with a twist

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 30, 2012 03:41 |  #1

Is it just me or is this dealership just being really cheap? I understand it's a summer job, but still...

We are currently seeking an individual for full time hours taking photo's of Mercedes- Benz product. The job would involve washing, preparring and then photographing all new and pre owned vehicles and then uploading their information and photo's to our website.

Joel

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 30, 2012 04:52 |  #2

It seems normal to me, they aren't looking for a "photographer" as such, there are no artistic requirements involved. Just taking shots of every car for sale to stick on the website. It just involves walking around the car taking some snapshots, then uploading them to the website.

As for washing the cars first etc., that is quite common amongst serious car photographers too, unless they have assistants to do it for them. With magazine work, it isn't uncommon for photographers shooting cars at various locations, to have to wash off the road dirt at each stop.

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 30, 2012 11:00 |  #3

Making sure the car is waxed before hand helps a great deal too.
This make it really easy to dust and use Quick Detailer on tougher dirt or film.

An automotive photog should have several car care items that always go along with them.

For interior I like Meguiars natural shine, its cheap, doesnt leave a film, and doesnt leave a super high gloss. Instead you are left with a clean, natural look that photographs really well.

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 30, 2012 11:03 |  #4

ps. As for the job, if you need one and are starting out then this might be a good chance to to grow in many ways and its paid. :)

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 30, 2012 13:16 |  #5

"Here's your wash pail, sponge and digital pocket camera. Welcome to the dealership, son."

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 30, 2012 13:42 |  #6

snyderman wrote in post #14653196 (external link)
"Here's your wash pail, sponge and digital pocket camera. Welcome to the dealership, son."

dave

Very true. This isn't a photography job per se.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 01, 2012 04:47 |  #7

So they get someone to photograph cars, edit the photos, upload the images and maintain the website, all for the cost of a minimum wage car washer (who also has to wash & wax the cars), Hmmm . . .

Kev

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2012 07:19 |  #8

NinetyEight wrote in post #14655494 (external link)
So they get someone to photograph cars, edit the photos, upload the images and maintain the website, all for the cost of a minimum wage car washer (who also has to wash & wax the cars), Hmmm . . .

Are you reading the same advert?

I don't see any mention of "editing" photos, they are just snapshots that will be resized and slapped on the web, no other editing required. "maintain the website"? No, they add the pics and fill in the details of the car, it's no harder than putting a listing on ebay. If the actual website needs altering, there will be somebody else to do that. "minimum wage"? Yes, quite possibly, but we don't know what they are paying so you are just making an assumption there.

However, why is this anything to upset photographers? This is not a job for a "photographer". A trained monkey could do it, or even a moderately interested school leaver, who dropped out at 15. It is not a skilled job, requires no experience and no qualifications.

The job is to make the cars presentable, take a few snapshots with a point and shoot camera on full automatic, then stick the photos and the car details into a standard advert template on the web (i.e. fill in the boxes as appropriate).

Skills required: wash a car, point a camera and press a button a few times whilst walking around the car, fill in a few fields on a website template and push another button to upload.

This is so far removed from being a "car photographer" I don't even know why it is on a photography forum. The person who does this job could no more come up with the sort of car photography we see in the transportation section (even the worst of it) than I could fly to the moon. Likewise, no "car photographer" is going to be looking at this sort of job, where the actual "photography" takes up maybe 5% of the working day.

This is minimum wage, unskilled work. Any idiot could do it, why do people feel that, because a camera is picked up briefly each day, this is a photography job?

PhotosGuy
75,864 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 01, 2012 08:40 |  #9

sandpiper wrote in post #14651993 (external link)
It seems normal to me, they aren't looking for a "photographer" as such, there are no artistic requirements involved. Just taking shots of every car for sale to stick on the website. It just involves walking around the car taking some snapshots, then uploading them to the website.

As for washing the cars first etc., that is quite common amongst serious car photographers too, unless they have assistants to do it for them. With magazine work, it isn't uncommon for photographers shooting cars at various locations, to have to wash off the road dirt at each stop.

I'd agree, & it sounds better than a Summer job where you're limited to asking, "Do you want fries with that"?

FWIW, any job is what you make of it, & the opportunity of trying to get good images under crappy conditions would be worth something if you're able to pull it off.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 01, 2012 13:10 |  #10

sandpiper wrote in post #14655691 (external link)
This is so far removed from being a "car photographer" I don't even know why it is on a photography forum.

Well the ad was titled "Summer job taking photos", which to me emphasises the photography aspect first. But I guess you could call it a bit of false advertising.

http://edmonton.kijiji​.ca …photos-W0QQAdIdZ391451333 (external link)

Joel

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2012 13:30 |  #11

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14656735 (external link)
Well the ad was titled "Summer job taking photos", which to me emphasises the photography aspect first. But I guess you could call it a bit of false advertising.

http://edmonton.kijiji​.ca …photos-W0QQAdIdZ391451333 (external link)

It sounds better than "summer job washing cars" that's all. Sure, actually taking photos is a part of the job but it will be a pretty small part, and nothing that requires a "photographer".

To me "photography" includes thinking about creating an artistic result, composition, lighting, playing with DoF etc. This job includes non of that, it isn't "photography" to my mind. It is, literally, "taking photos", a snap of the front end, the back end, both sides and the interior. All done on automatic, literally point the camera at the car and push the button. It will take about 3 minutes per car, compared to 30 minutes to wash and valet it first and 10 minutes to upload the info to the website.

sponsored links

2,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
Car photographer... with a twist
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.