Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 03 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MK III upgrade or D800?

Bond_Savingsbond
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 03, 2012 13:01 |  #1

I've owned my 5D MK II for just over a year now, and I love it except when it hunts for focus.

The 5D MK III is the answer to many people's prayers in terms of focus, but at an increased price (for now atleast).

I mainly shoot portraits/candids and am just getting into weddings and event's.
Currently I own 3 Primes (35/50/135) and 2 5DMK II's (one in the shop for cleaning/inspection). I am on the verge of getting rid of one of my primes and either one or both of my bodies.

My question is should I sell my two bodies for a 5D MK III? Or should I keep what I have and save up my earning from my future weddings/portraitures and buy the 5D MK III later. The main reason I want the MK III is for the ISO and AF (during events/weddings).

Also, I've been playing around with the idea that for the same price of the 5D MK III, I can get a D800 and their new 24-85 lens (This would mean I would sell my 35 and one of the two bodies and make up the difference).

I'm looking for suggestions, opinions and experiences from others. (

Thank you

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

sponsored links
brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 03, 2012 13:58 |  #2

Get the D700 instead. It has the ISO of the 5D3 as well as the AF, despite being 5 years older. It also costs $1300 less if you buy it new and $1600 less if you buy it gently used (which we did when we bought two).

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 03, 2012 14:14 |  #3

If it comes at the expense of having 1 camera instead of 2, I wouldn't make the switch to the 5D3 or the D800.

As for the D700, it's a fine camera no doubt. If you go that route, make sure you are comfortable about the 12MP resolution since you've been shooting with the 5D2. The AF is definitely an upgrade, however the AF on the 5D3 is better than the D700. In fact it's better than the D3 and D3s. I can't speak for the D4 since I've never used that camera.

Bond_Savingsbond
THREAD ­ STARTER
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 03, 2012 14:23 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #4

Thank you guys for the the D700 suggestion, I never thought about aquiring a D700 to be honest, but now I am strongly considering it.

500px (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2012 14:49 |  #5

I have two D700s, and I have no plans to upgrade. Just be aware the Nikon system is generally a little more expensive than Canon. If I was buying now I'd probably get the D800, apparently the AF is a little faster. I'd probably wait for the rumoured D600/D400, full frame at a budget price.

Don't get the 24-85 F2.8 - 4G. Variable aperture lenses are annoying, usually lower quality, and the D700 focuses better with F2.8 lenses - though my 16-35 F4 VR is pretty nice. The Nikon 24-70 is probably be best standard zoom ever made for an SLR camera, sharp and colorful, it's a really nice lens. Robust too, and it focuses very well.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Bond_Savingsbond
THREAD ­ STARTER
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 03, 2012 15:13 |  #6

tim wrote in post #14666225 (external link)
I have two D700s, and I have no plans to upgrade. Just be aware the Nikon system is generally a little more expensive than Canon. If I was buying now I'd probably get the D800, apparently the AF is a little faster. I'd probably wait for the rumoured D600/D400, full frame at a budget price.

Don't get the 24-85 F2.8 - 4G. Variable aperture lenses are annoying, usually lower quality, and the D700 focuses better with F2.8 lenses - though my 16-35 F4 VR is pretty nice. The Nikon 24-70 is probably be best standard zoom ever made for an SLR camera, sharp and colorful, it's a really nice lens. Robust too, and it focuses very well.

Thank you,
If I could use my 50 and 135on a Nikon body I would do it in a heartbeat! Canon has such amazing prime lenses.

With the savings from the D700 instead of a D800, that 24-70 is looking more and more tempting. Although what peaked my interest on the 24-85 lens is that it's new tech with 2 Aspherical Elements and that it has VR. I'm still trying to do as much research before making the massive plunge!

500px (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2012 15:23 |  #7

Nikon isn't great for really fast primes yet, but they're getting better.

I really liked the IS on the 17-55 when I used Canon, but for some reason I don't seem to need it as much with the D700 and 24-70. Maybe it's something to do with full frame, maybe it's the heavier camera, but I'm finding less need for it. I'd like it, but I don't think i'd sacrifice F2.8 @ 70mm for it.

Low light focus on the D700 requires a speedlite. The SB900 is pretty heavy, it eventually breaks every D700 hotshoe if it's left up there all the time. The lighter flashes are better, and hopefully the D800 has that flaw fixed. But it's still a great camera.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 03, 2012 15:35 |  #8

Bond_Savingsbond wrote in post #14666337 (external link)
Thank you,
If I could use my 50 and 135on a Nikon body I would do it in a heartbeat! Canon has such amazing prime lenses.

With the savings from the D700 instead of a D800, that 24-70 is looking more and more tempting. Although what peaked my interest on the 24-85 lens is that it's new tech with 2 Aspherical Elements and that it has VR. I'm still trying to do as much research before making the massive plunge!

If you are talking about the 50L and 135L, then yeah, you are out of luck with Nikon. Otherwise they've pretty much caught up with their primes with the 24G, 35G, and 85G. The 24-70G is great. So is the 70-200 VRII.

Again, if switching means not having 2 bodies, I would hang tight until you can actually afford 2 bodies, be it the 5D3 or D800.

Bond_Savingsbond
THREAD ­ STARTER
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 03, 2012 15:48 |  #9

nicksan wrote in post #14666434 (external link)
If you are talking about the 50L and 135L, then yeah, you are out of luck with Nikon. Otherwise they've pretty much caught up with their primes with the 24G, 35G, and 85G. The 24-70G is great. So is the 70-200 VRII.

Again, if switching means not having 2 bodies, I would hang tight until you can actually afford 2 bodies, be it the 5D3 or D800.

Yes they are the 50 1.2 and 135L. I had to go through a few lenses and a lot of overtime hours(I actually did not enjoy using the amazing 70-200 MK II for events) to get to these three lenses. And I thought I would like the 35L over my Rokinon 35, but after shooting a wedding and then a photoshoot the following day, I feel that these are the two lenses I need will really need for a long time, especially for portraits.

My plan was: Nikon for zooms and Canon for stickly primes.

Sometimes I wish I never gotten an L lens, because I want them all :(

500px (external link)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 03, 2012 15:52 |  #10

Lens prices, if you consider used and refurb, upset the money calculations for Nikon pretty quickly, as does their battery grip and even battery charger prices.

And if your 5d2 constantly hunts for AF that sounds like some problem I don't see with mine. Sure the 7D et al AF is nicer but it doesn't really prevent hunting.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 03, 2012 16:01 |  #11

Yeah, I never had issues using the center AF point on the 5D2. The 5D3 is definitely sweeter and more efficient, but I shot weddings fine with the 5D2.

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 03, 2012 20:51 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #12

I say keep both bodies and switch one to a 5dIII down the road. You have great Canon primes which you are likely to miss if you switch your whole gear.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 03, 2012 21:00 |  #13

Get 5D III kills my D700 AF for sure. Don't forget 70-200 IS II the best zoom ever made. As far as D800, look no further than my avatar :lol:.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 03, 2012 21:24 |  #14

tim wrote in post #14666378 (external link)
Low light focus on the D700 requires a speedlite.

Not in my experience. The only times I've felt the need for a flash in the dark have been when it's been too dark to shoot, not too dark to focus.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2012 22:40 |  #15

brokensocial wrote in post #14667648 (external link)
Not in my experience. The only times I've felt the need for a flash in the dark have been when it's been too dark to shoot, not too dark to focus.

Shooting couples doing their energetic first dance in a room lit only by fairy lights it took 1-2 seconds to focus, it was awful. With a speedlite it was very quick.

sponsored links

4,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MK III upgrade or D800?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.