Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 02:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Something I was working on.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 04, 2012 02:02 |  #1

Eh, probably not done yet. But I talk way too much about everyone else's work as if I know what I'm talking about, without showing nearly enough of my own. So here's something.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1194.photobuck​et.com …un_With_Frogs/f​inal1d.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
Ramon-uk
689 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 04, 2012 05:39 |  #2

Yes you are right it is "something", exactly what you are trying to achieve with shot is a bit of a puzzle to me, but .... hey we are all different :)

The circular thing you have pasted into the middle of the cog is off centre, try centering it up a bit and softening the edges of the circle, also the shot is a bit over exposed on the right hand side.
As for the bits of sticky tape well I'm not sure why they are there but I don't think they add much to the picture.

Perhaps you could explain your idea so that we can all understand your objective.

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 04, 2012 05:53 |  #3

i love it

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 04, 2012 09:08 as a reply to  @ john5189's post |  #4

I just have to know the "why" of the masking tape bits?

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Clean ­ Gene
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 07, 2012 03:49 |  #5

Ramon-uk wrote in post #14668720 (external link)
.... hey we are all different :)

lol...That's an understatement, given the feedback I've gotten over the last few years.

Anyway, I disagree about the centering. I tried it positioned differently, it didn't work.

I totally agree about the softening and the exposure matching. I agree...it needs more work.

As far as the tape is concerned, that relates to the whole "not finished" comment. I'm aware of that issue, I'm aware that the tape doesn't work right now, I'm aware that the photo is not finished. You need not be concerned with that (since there's no context by which it would mean anything to you). You are certainly entitled to concern yourself with that if you like (since the image is the image), but the only honest answer I can give at this point is "it's not done yet". The bottom line is that you've given me some valuable feedback on a work in progress.

So, thanks.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 07, 2012 13:45 |  #6

I think this is a very creative piece. One thing to note. In the eye high key is more powerful than a target. In this image the eye will travel out of frame to the right (due to high key) even as the target (the sprocket window) holds the observers attention. Once this attention lapses I am led to a softer high key mass to the right which is not as entertaining as the target. I think you can still project a sense of direction of light while maintaining balance in the frame. A slight edge vignette all around would keep the eye in the frame.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,836 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 08, 2012 06:32 |  #7

Is this all "cut and paste" in Photoshop or is this a photo of a "work in progress" piece of wooden fence with additional elements on it. In other words: did you Photoshop the sticky tape in or is it "real".

If it is just Photoshop then it is a matter of taste wether you like it or not how things are pasted together. If it is a real world photo other technical elements come into the equation. So: I wonder...???

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 08, 2012 12:40 |  #8

This looks like a bad photo that has had other bits pasted in randomly for no apparent reason.

Gear List

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2012 12:07 |  #9

jetcode wrote in post #14683976 (external link)
I think this is a very creative piece. One thing to note. In the eye high key is more powerful than a target. In this image the eye will travel out of frame to the right (due to high key) even as the target (the sprocket window) holds the observers attention. Once this attention lapses I am led to a softer high key mass to the right which is not as entertaining as the target. I think you can still project a sense of direction of light while maintaining balance in the frame. A slight edge vignette all around would keep the eye in the frame.

I think that if a photo needs all this "explanation" of what one is supposed to see, and most do not, something is missing.;)

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

sponsored links

1,689 views & 0 likes for this thread
Something I was working on.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.