Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 05 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 19:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Indoor arena settings

Showjumper91
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 05, 2012 19:40 |  #1

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips as to what settings to use without using the flash. I have a Canon 7D with a 70-200 f4 IS lens.

There is a horse jumping competition coming up with some large jumping classes in the indoor arena and I would love to get some good pictures. The indoor arena is undercover but open on three sides and the lighting is fairly average.

I would love to know what IOS, shutter speed, focus technique, etc. that others use so that I am a bit prepared. Thanks so much in advance :)

sponsored links
Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,645 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 11, 2012 15:51 |  #2

No one can tell you what settings you will need because they are dependent upon the light level. However, here are some hints to get started.

Use Av (aperture preferred) at 4.0, and then adjust the ISO until you get a shutter speed of 1/640 (or slightly faster). Use servo focus and choose the most appropriate focus point (with expansion points) to get the rider in sharp focus. Shooting RAW will give you the most leeway to adjust in post processing.

If the background is very bright compared to your subject, you may need some +Exposure Compensation to properly expose the subject (rider and horse). Give careful thought to having backgrounds as clean (non-distracting) as possible. Shoot and post your results. Good luck.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 11, 2012 16:46 |  #3

The best way to determine camera exposure settings for an indoor event is by using a light meter to measure the available light. (external link)

That was done at this indoor horse event.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: 70-200mm
Image Date: 2011-08-12 09:06:57 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 77.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 4000
Exposure Bias: none
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: 70-200mm
Image Date: 2011-08-12 09:21:11 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 200.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 3200
Exposure Bias: none
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Yes, the images are grainy because of high ISO noise. Since this was a jumping event a high shutter speed was needed to stop action. Noise reduction software was not used in this case.

If no light meter is available, the next best approach is to choose a shutter speed (such as the suggested 1/640) that will stop action and then choose a ISO that will accommodate the shutter speed with a decent exposure. But, without measuring the light and seeing how the illumination works, any further suggestions would be mo more than guesses. If the arena is open on three sides, that may allow enough light inside to allow a useful shutter without an extremely high ISO, but, that light may also fool a camera's built in meter if extra light comes in from one side.

Showjumper91 wrote in post #14676010 (external link)
I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips as to what settings to use without using the flash. I have a Canon 7D with a 70-200 f4 IS lens.
There is a horse jumping competition coming up with some large jumping classes in the indoor arena and I would love to get some good pictures. The indoor arena is undercover but open on three sides and the lighting is fairly average.
I would love to know what IOS, shutter speed, focus technique, etc. that others use so that I am a bit prepared. Thanks so much in advance :)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 11, 2012 16:52 |  #4

Showjumper91 wrote in post #14676010 (external link)

A covered arena with open sides can be a bit of a nightmare as you can end up with strong backlighting. As mentioned above go wide open with your lens, use a fast shutter speed, and adjust ISO to get there if you can in that light. Stick with manual as the light in most arenas is pretty even.

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 11, 2012 20:59 |  #5

gonzogolf wrote in post #14703523 (external link)
Stick with manual as the light in most arenas is pretty even.

I agree, M is the way to go when you are someplace that the light is even. Pick up a gray card if you don't have a light meter and use the camera to meter off that. Take some practice shots at those settings then adjust accordingly.

If you don't have a gray card then get your initial exposure of the ground (assuming it is a dirt floor, not some black rubber) then go from there.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,645 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 12, 2012 09:33 as a reply to  @ palmor's post |  #6

I'm surprised that everyone is expecting even lighting at a covered arena that is open on three sides.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2012 09:54 |  #7

Your camera has a light meter in it, by the way. The best approach would be to put your camera on AV, set it at f4 and aim at different areas of the track making note of the shutter speed. You'll want it ~1/640 or faster. Increase ISO as needed.

Once you figure out the settings, put the camera in Manual and keep it at those settings.

Remember, meter for the player. If the background blows out, that's fine, but the player needs to be properly exposed.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 12, 2012 10:50 |  #8

All the indoor pens around here with the exception of the Will Rodgers center ISO 3200-6400 shoot worth the fastest glass you have wide open 1/500 at the bare minimum. I shoot in manual inside the arenas since there will be brighter and darker spots and sometime your metering will pick up on something bright and adjust accordingly and you lose the shot over it.

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 12, 2012 12:27 |  #9

Zivnuska wrote in post #14706304 (external link)
I'm surprised that everyone is expecting even lighting at a covered arena that is open on three sides.

I suspect it's less that they're expecting even lighting, than they prefer to meter for one or two spots and just shoot them rather than following the horse around the whole ring. It would be my preference as well - shooting a large object that comes in different colors on AV would seem to be a setup for problems.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 13, 2012 09:49 |  #10

Zivnuska wrote in post #14706304 (external link)

The actual light falling on the arena will likely be pretty even, its the backlighthing that will change, and thats the sort of thing, along with differently colored horses that tend to fool automatic modes.

Showjumper91
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 14, 2012 03:58 |  #11

Thanks guys

I'll take all your advice into account and see what works best

sponsored links

4,585 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Indoor arena settings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.