Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 01:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 85mm f1.2 L Mark II Lens Repair Question?

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 07, 2012 01:04 |  #1

I have an opportunity to pick up an EF 85mm f1.2 L Mark II Lens for about 1/3rd the cost of a new one. I examined the lens and it looks brand new and doesn't have one ding, scratch or mark on it and obviously never been dropped. The problem with the lens is that neither the manual focus or autofocus works. When I put the lens on my 5D Mk III and go into the menu system the camera see's the lens as the 85 Mk II so obviously the lens is still communicating with the camera body.

The questions I have is if anyone has ever seen this type of failure and if they have I was wondering how much it might cost to fix? If the focusing motor is the issue and the cost to fix is say $400 (USD) I would jump on it in a second. If I had to put out $800-$1,000 to get it repaired then it's no longer worth it to me. I hit the $1,000 mark for the repair it would only be a couple hundred more to ge a new one that comes with full warranty. BTW, I did check and this 85mm is out of warranty. I also callled Cannon repair center and got the runaround. The only way they will give some potential costs for the repair is for me to return the lens to Canon first. Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

sponsored links
c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 07, 2012 01:21 |  #2

The only way they will give some potential costs for the repair is for me to return the lens to Canon first.

no other way to point out what is wrong from the internet. As long as the lens isn't water damaged, you should be ok.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,247 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 07, 2012 01:40 |  #3

snowblower wrote in post #14682351 (external link)
I have an opportunity to pick up an EF 85mm f1.2 L Mark II Lens for about 1/3rd the cost of a new one. I examined the lens and it looks brand new and doesn't have one ding, scratch or mark on it and obviously never been dropped. The problem with the lens is that neither the manual focus or autofocus works. When I put the lens on my 5D Mk III and go into the menu system the camera see's the lens as the 85 Mk II so obviously the lens is still communicating with the camera body.

The questions I have is if anyone has ever seen this type of failure and if they have I was wondering how much it might cost to fix? If the focusing motor is the issue and the cost to fix is say $400 (USD) I would jump on it in a second. If I had to put out $800-$1,000 to get it repaired then it's no longer worth it to me. I hit the $1,000 mark for the repair it would only be a couple hundred more to ge a new one that comes with full warranty. BTW, I did check and this 85mm is out of warranty. I also callled Cannon repair center and got the runaround. The only way they will give some potential costs for the repair is for me to return the lens to Canon first. Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Do I understand correctly that MANUAL focus does not work either?

Mark

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 07, 2012 02:42 |  #4

If the lens does not stop down when the dof preview is pressed on the body, this may suggest a communication or power problem, which could be affect the AF and manual focusing as well.

If the apeture does stop down it most probably a failure of the Ring type USM motor, which I think only Canon would be best placed to fix.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Uncle ­ Flash
306 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 07, 2012 02:43 |  #5

I think I read somewhere that these do not have mechanical focusing. It's all electronical wizardry.

Big dreams, small wallet.

tunin
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 07, 2012 02:54 |  #6

I like risks and good deals, I would jump right on it.

Go to canon's return for service form, fill it up and you'll get an estimate... I just had a 24-105L sent in with some major problems the focus would not work and the lens gets stuck at the wide end.. . The estimate was and ai ended up paying the estimate amount = 306.-

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.net (external link)
*** Amateur tools ***

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2012 03:54 |  #7

rrblint wrote in post #14682421 (external link)
Do I understand correctly that MANUAL focus does not work either?

Yup, this lens uses an electronic motor drive to focus for AF or MF. That means when the camera is turned off, turning the focus ring will do nothing but spin around and not move any elements. Fly-by-wire if you will.

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

woehlerking
456 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 07, 2012 11:53 as a reply to  @ Mashimaro's post |  #8

So My guess is your going to get it for about $650.... and say you have to spend $350 for repair =,
85L II for a grand.
I could be wrong but I don't believe the repair should be much more if the glass is ok.
Great buy and canon should give you some sort of short term warranty.

gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p=10063848&post​count=2316

snowblower
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 07, 2012 13:22 |  #9

Thanks everyone for the responses. Yes, both manual/auto focus don't work but everything else seems fine. My guess was that the ultrasonic motor has died but I couldn't find anywhere that when you turn the manual focusing ring on the lens you need the motor to work for the focus adjustment to work. Obviously the electronic communication between the lens and 5D III work because the camera reads the lens when I pull up the microadjustment menu. I want one of these lenses but at $2,000 USD it's not in the cards. Looks like what I'm hearing from some of you I would be dumb to not go after this deal.

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

notastockpikr
417 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 07, 2012 13:26 |  #10

I'm confused with the question. The 85mm 1.2L II uses "focus by wire" to focus the lens. You can't put the camera up to your face and turn the focus ring and focus. The camera must be turned on and the shutter button pushed half way for the lens to focus. When the camera is turned off, the focus ring spins freely and the lens can't be retracted.

I'm only guessing here, but the owner probably doesn't know this and thinks the lens is defective. I'd buy the lens and read the manual. If the lens is indeed damaged and the focus motor needs to be replaced, Canon charges a fixed repair rate which is probably $300-$400. Add the repair cost to the bargain price for this lens and you have yourself a good deal.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 07, 2012 13:43 |  #11

What if motor is ok, but has not enough power to move the focus - because of bend mechanics?
Probably the motor has died after some time trying.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

snowblower
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 07, 2012 15:12 |  #12

notastockpikr wrote in post #14683892 (external link)
I'm confused with the question. The 85mm 1.2L II uses "focus by wire" to focus the lens. You can't put the camera up to your face and turn the focus ring and focus. The camera must be turned on and the shutter button pushed half way for the lens to focus. When the camera is turned off, the focus ring spins freely and the lens can't be retracted.

I'm only guessing here, but the owner probably doesn't know this and thinks the lens is defective. I'd buy the lens and read the manual. If the lens is indeed damaged and the focus motor needs to be replaced, Canon charges a fixed repair rate which is probably $300-$400. Add the repair cost to the bargain price for this lens and you have yourself a good deal.

When I tested it yesterday it wouldn't focus either manually or automatically. More research this morning I discovered that the manual focus is electronically driven from the focus ring by the AF motor system. It now makes total sense why both are dead and it looks like USM failure is the primary problem.

ShootToCapture
403 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 07, 2012 15:31 |  #13

I found one on craigslist for $800 with similar issues like your canon 85mm f1.2L.

aegid
506 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 07, 2012 16:56 |  #14

I've encountered one of these as well. Oddly enough it was the sample Canon brought with them to their booth for a trade show, haha.

5d3,17-40,24-105,24 1.4,85 1.4,70-200 2.8 is ii

sponsored links

6,089 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF 85mm f1.2 L Mark II Lens Repair Question?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.