Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 07 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jacoby Ellsbury on the road to Boston

fteter
152 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2012 22:29 |  #16

I like shot #1 quite a bit. It's intriguing - you're wondering what Ellsbury is looking at, why he's starting to smile and what is going on in his head.

#2 and #3 are well-done (although the chopper bugs me too), but it's #1 I keep going back to. Nice work!

--FMT--

sponsored links
kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 08, 2012 22:40 |  #17

fteter wrote in post #14689916 (external link)
I like shot #1 quite a bit. It's intriguing - you're wondering what Ellsbury is looking at, why he's starting to smile and what is going on in his head.

#2 and #3 are well-done (although the chopper bugs me too), but it's #1 I keep going back to. Nice work!

Thanks!

#1 was taken in the dugout about 2 minutes before they took the field. Players were mulling about in the dugout and he was talking to them. Guess I was in the right position for that one, or so I think anyway...

And now that it was brought up, I'm not liking the chopper myself. Guess it takes fresh eyes to realize it.

For #2, what would be the best way to crop out the catcher, without pretty much messing up the framing of the shot? I saw him smiling so I wanted to get that, but couldn't help that he was so close to the catcher. Do I keep aspect ratio and lose the bat on top or his legs on the bottom? Do I crop as a tall rectangle? It's a shot that makes me scratch my head...

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

madjack
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 08, 2012 22:51 as a reply to  @ kenjancef's post |  #18

For what its worth, I dig the chopper. Its an action shot.:D

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 08, 2012 23:48 |  #19

kenjancef wrote in post #14689342 (external link)
Why a delete? Please let me know why. I like the first, but your opinion. On the second, if I cropped tighter I'd loose most of the top or bottom. Would that be ok, or do I crop in a weird rectangle?

It makes the player look bad, and no as a PJ you're not trying to always make them look good but there's just no story behind it except he looks bad...now if he did something on the play (re-injured or something) different story, but alone would not make it out of camera for me.

I changed the size on Flickr.

Today Lowell players were given a ton of stolen photos from flickr to sign, never see an image on there unless a nice big watermark across the middle personally.

I knew about not selling images. I am still pretty new to SmugMug, and I thought I had changed it globally on the top-level gallery, but apparently that was not the case. It is fixed and will make sure I set it right in the future.

This is relatively new in the minors as back in the day you could, not anymore.

Actually, this on should be "4", but who's counting... Here's my take: I do want to be a paid photographer, and I love to shoot anyway. But if I were to try to get hired, wouldn't the future employer want to see my work? Do you think he'd take my word for it? I need to start somewhere, so I sorta have no choice. I know that for some this isn't the right way, but if you had a better option in mind I'd love to hear it.

This is not a catch-22, I will never understand the people who say it is.

You can go to the game and shoot on your own and create images without giving them away to anyone to use, you actually said this on other threads that they allow you in without a problem. Yet, you choose to give them to a third party to use for free. As an editor I sit there and ask WHY WOULD I PAY THIS GUY IF HE'S WORKING FREE FOR OTHERS?? Seriously, you'd feel ripped off as an editor that you got charged but so and so didn't - why did they get the deal? Why am I the only sucker having to pay? I used to have to explain to editors I got paid by that third party as they are well known for not paying, yes they do pay some people but so many do it free just to be there (and in most cases abuse the pass just to get autographs, but they get away with it because working free).

I know plenty of photographers who built a portfolio at youth games or just going to games on their own, this whole it has to be a pro sport to get recognition is just complete and utter crap! Want to impress, go to a boring game of 8 year olds and make them look big league...making a big leaguer look big league is easy, very very easy! Always amazes me when you see a portfolio with a big leaguer in it just for being a big leaguer instead of a good image, never understand it.

Just to put another nail in the free coffin, I know more than a few who are now blackballed from certain outlets because of the fact they don't stop working free. It is ironic that many editors ASK for free images all the time, but in turn they never want to work with people who work for free. It's why my favorite word is no.

Also, please don't think my reply is sarcastic, because it's not. I REALLY want to learn the Do's/Don'ts of sports photography. That's why I asked about the cropping and why you would delete. How can I learn if I don't know why? So please criticize all day, but let me know WHY so I can get better.

WHY is the most important thing.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 09, 2012 00:00 |  #20

ewheeler20 wrote in post #14689433 (external link)
The problem is that to get paid work, you need to show a potential employer some of your previous work... but you can't get previous work unless you get paid to do so! aaaahhhh

This is not true...I shoot on my own all the time - go out and practice, try different things, etc. etc. However, nobody is getting those images free! Never been paid to shoot political events or touristy stuff in my life - but yet have images I could put a portfolio together if need be because went out and shot them on my own. My SportsShooter profile is a political event from last year (yes it needs an update), wasn't paid a dime to be there and did it to learn those events after watching a great documentary called the Presidents Photographer (oh to have half the knowledge he has!)...however they were used by several TV Channels over the last year since, all paid. So shot on my own, nobody used free, got paid anyways for my practice as was not handing them over free.

madjack
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 09, 2012 00:23 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #21

This thread is great!

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 09, 2012 09:20 |  #22

Station15 wrote in post #14689830 (external link)
Usually choppers result in an out so it doesn't end up being a good picture and no one (including the player) is interested in these types of shots.

When shooting higher level sports, usually the intent of the photographers are not to sell their images to the players... but to sell them to publications, organizations, or fans.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 09, 2012 09:24 |  #23

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #14690176 (external link)
It makes the player look bad, and no as a PJ you're not trying to always make them look good but there's just no story behind it except he looks bad...now if he did something on the play (re-injured or something) different story, but alone would not make it out of camera for me.

I disagree. Jacoby Ellsbury has been rehabbing for months now, and the fact that he is back with at least the pawtucket redsox is a good sign. The fact that he went 0-4 is a bad sign. In Boston, going 0-4 is news. A publication may need a photo to go along with that story. I see photos all the time on websites like espn.com,foxsports.]co​m, etc that have stories about slumping baseball players. Photos of whiffs, missed dives, dropped balls are always accompanying those stories.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 09, 2012 13:32 |  #24

ewheeler20 wrote in post #14691391 (external link)
When shooting higher level sports, usually the intent of the photographers are not to sell their images to the players... but to sell them to publications, organizations, or fans.

Correct, and there's two styles within that as well...there's PJ style where you're telling the story of the game and there's stock. Stock all that really matters is a clean face shot, not so much peak action or story telling image - these images will be used for articles usually about the players themselves, features, etc.. PJ is the story of the game, the big play, the big screw up, what changed the outcome, etc. It's why you see newspaper photographers at games for an inning and leave, they got their story telling image and that's all they need. Stock on the other hand shooting more.

ewheeler20 wrote in post #14691411 (external link)
I disagree. Jacoby Ellsbury has been rehabbing for months now, and the fact that he is not back with at least the pawtucket redsox is a good sign. The fact that he went 0-4 is a bad sign. In Boston, going 0-4 is news. A publication may need a photo to go along with that story. I see photos all the time on websites like espn.com,foxsports.]co​m, etc that have stories about slumping baseball players. Photos of whiffs, missed dives, dropped balls are always accompanying those stories.

This is not how it works in rehab, to people who don't know the game an 0 for day in a rehab game might mean something, but within the game it's nothing. They'll announce the stats, because that's what people look at instead of what's important, but a stand alone in a rehab game this has no story and is not a good stock image either.

Now a slump that's lasted awhile, sure you'd use a struggling photo with the article, this isn't the case here as he's missed time - story is him in the batters box, just being back on the field playing. Missed dives, dropped balls, same thing...peak action (a dive) or a momentum changer (dropped ball) has a story. A chopper in a rehab game means nothing, no story behind it in the game and those needing stock a month or more from now are not going to look for it either. Personal opinion, but for me just not one I'd keep in this case.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 09, 2012 14:21 |  #25

Codda wrote in post #14688898 (external link)
Huh....? Should have won league MVP last year... 2011...32 HR 105 RB 39 SB in 168 games...

Isn't this a 162 game season???

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

groundloop
984 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 09, 2012 14:33 |  #26

SMP_Homer wrote in post #14692735 (external link)
Isn't this a 162 game season???

Don't forget the postseason.

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 09, 2012 16:31 |  #27

Mike, good info.

kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 09, 2012 17:11 |  #28

ewheeler20 wrote in post #14693402 (external link)
Mike, good info.

I agree.

Gear List

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 10, 2012 18:13 |  #29

groundloop wrote in post #14692813 (external link)
Don't forget the postseason.

The Sox played in the post-season in 2011???

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 10, 2012 18:43 |  #30

SMP_Homer wrote in post #14698787 (external link)
The Sox played in the post-season in 2011???

As far as I can recall, they haven't been in the postseason since 2009...

Gear List

sponsored links

10,523 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jacoby Ellsbury on the road to Boston
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.