Never said I gave anything away for free and this was before the confusion about shooting it for the university, so you can't fall back on that in this instance. I think the entire thing has stemmed from your misunderstanding of the first post you quoted in response to one of mine. I said that when you are building a portfolio, you can't expect to get paid at the same time. You shoot for free, for yourself. I never talked about giving away the images and in fact I agreed that use should be paid for. You went off the deep end telling me I'm a know-nothing college kid and you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm glad that your way works for you, I really am. You seem like an angry guy though. You throw people's business cards away because you don't agree with them? How about finding out what's going on first? I was simply trying to back up the OP when you jumped his ass about shooting it for free. The team has a photographer, the OP was shooting for himself, how is he hurting anyone? He's already said he doesn't want to do this as a career, yet you keep shoving these missives down everyone's throat, laying out the rules of how it's got to be. Good day, sir.
PS - what 'personal' attacks have I made? You were the first to lob a personal attack, calling me a know-nothing college kid. Sometimes, I swear I hate the internet.
1) You have said you work for free in other threads and then justified it saying it lead to paying gigs, this is exactly what I said - go back and look. Though do have to say that sometimes I will use "you" instead of "someone" when it should be, so that can cause confusion. You doesn't always mean you in particular, my mistake wording wise that can be taken literal as directed only at one person when it's not. Just the English language that you hear all the time, you is not always YOU. However, you DID say this in other threads and probably why you just had to respond in this one taking it off course from what it originally was about, carrying it over from there.
2) You've never worked in this field, working for the college paper while in college is not what the OP is doing. OP is shooting the exact field I work, not the LR college paper - if that was the case you can say how it works based off your experience, what it takes, etc. as you've done it (actually so did I at my college but ended it pretty quickly with much better offerings on the table at the time). You posted without knowing anything about the situation, go back and look as the first few posts since joining had to try and explain what was happening. This is not general, this is VERY specific to the place and what the OP is shooting until you took it off course.
Never called you a no nothing college kid, called you a college kid that knows it all because it's how you come off and how most act in college. See it all the time, was one at a time that wanted to do things my way and others weren't changing my mind - nowadays things are much different even though it wasn't that long ago, work with a LOT of photographers getting different view points, opinions, what they did and worked or failed completely - some newbs and some long time pros. Things have only grown since taking that approach, you don't see to want to do that and that's fine.
3) What personal attacks, your first post you come in saying greedy photographer only shooting for money yet quote me saying the EXACT opposite, that's not a personal attack? If I was a greedy photographer you think I'd be on this board giving out advice? Telling people how they live their life as angry or upset or disappointed is not personal attack? Telling someone to get over themselves but yet can't quote ONCE to back what you're telling them they are saying, when they're not actually saying it. Calling someone an angry person without knowing one thing about them? Seriously, these are not personal attacks? Yea OK.
4) How about some of your contradictions....you can give your opinion and it can be taken any way the reader wants - so you say, but others do the same and it's bossing people around...someone quotes you and answers it directly then it's that person perceiving it wrong, not that your opinion may be wrong or worded poorly, nope never you (again others perceive your words wrong but you always perceive others right?)...I'm seriously waiting for you to quote me once saying it has to be done this or that way - you highlighted some words that mean nothing, let's see the quotes! Hell if you read around the words you highlighted it's saying the exact opposite of what you claim.
5) Yes, I throw business cards away from people I do not want to work with, has nothing to do with that I don't agree with them. It has everything to do with business, you yet again assume (how come you can assume but if someone else does you attack them again?) I don't get to know them before tossing it? Almost always get the cards at a game, talk and shoot the game with them, almost always good times and sometimes you just get people that really should not be there, hell even gotten a few thrown out.
Anyways, they hand me a card and say if I need anything let them know, but me as a business owner asks why would I want to work with you when you're undercutting me and the business? You give your images away for nothing and my job is to make you money off your images? This is another example of you doesn't actually mean YOU in particular btw, so we're clear. Of course I throw them away, not going to work with someone who is negative for the business. Tried to help some in the past and it's only hurt the business so now more strict in those wanting to help grow and succeed.
6) Internet does suck, I know I come off blunt and to the point - if you read it as angry that's how it's going to come off in your mind. 99% of the time it's not even close to true, just meant to be blunt and to the point - not going to sit here and baby talk or beat around the bushes just because others want to read it in a preconceived way to fit what they want it to be. You're going to read anything that way, that's proven.
7) Moderator can delete all our posts here after he came in with the personal attack and let it go back to what it was about, why in personal opinions some are keepers and others are not. Done and out, gone to the dark side anyways!
**EDIT**Written before the last response, can add the last comment to your list of attempted personal attacks,