Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want to wrap my hood in carbon or somethine

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 08, 2012 21:01 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14689511 (external link)
While I think well done carbon wraps look good, sometimes downright fantastic, I too would like a real carbon hood to be offered. I'd snatch one in a heartbeat.

Who cares how they look. Does the Carbon wrap improve it's intended use...no. So why spend the bucks on something that will not add one thing to your photos. Buy something like a cable release, a filter, an L-bracket...something that actually improves your abilities.

If you want to look sexy while shooting, buy designer jeans, but don't disgrace your tools by making them look cute.

sponsored links
Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 08, 2012 21:06 |  #17

Hogloff wrote in post #14689557 (external link)
Who cares how they look. Does the Carbon wrap improve it's intended use...no. So why spend the bucks on something that will not add one thing to your photos. Buy something like a cable release, a filter, an L-bracket...something that actually improves your abilities.

If you want to look sexy while shooting, buy designer jeans, but don't disgrace your tools by making them look cute.

I'm so ashamed of how ordinary my lens looks without a CF hood that I go so far as to try and hide it :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Ghillie DSLR (external link) by Nature Nut 84 (external link), on Flickr

Adam - Upstate NY:

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 08, 2012 23:35 |  #18

You can get Di-Noc off eBay from a number of sellers in pretty small sizes. But as mentioned before, get enough to account for learning mistakes (i.e. at least twice what you need).

Hogloff wrote in post #14689557 (external link)

Why do you care?

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,728 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 09, 2012 06:32 |  #19

Interesting thread, except for.....

But I digress. I just purchased a 50L from a forum member and the hood came wrapped in what appears to be carbon fiber. It actually looks good and seems to be a very good way to protect the hood, should one be concerned about that.

MotorPro
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 09, 2012 06:38 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #20

Some people buy cameras and lenses to take pictures...others buy cameras and lenses to have people look at them

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 09, 2012 06:54 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14690134 (external link)
You can get Di-Noc off eBay from a number of sellers in pretty small sizes. But as mentioned before, get enough to account for learning mistakes (i.e. at least twice what you need).

Why do you care?

I don't. Just trying to straighten out misguided members.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,728 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 09, 2012 07:17 |  #22

MotorPro wrote in post #14690838 (external link)
Some people buy cameras and lenses to take pictures...others buy cameras and lenses to have people look at them

And some do both. So what?

When I owned the 200L and 300 f2.8, I got more comments walking around with them than anyone would like, but I dealt with them. Big deal.

If someone wants to be noticed, that's their personality. Others like to blend in. It takes all types to make up the wonderful world we live in.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2012 07:42 |  #23

Hogloff wrote in post #14690874 (external link)
I don't. Just trying to straighten out misguided members.

So there is absolutely nothing you do to yourself or your belongings where it has no bearing on performance? Do you shave? Do you mow? Do you comb your hair? Do you keep your camera and lenses clean?

There are countless things people do that really have no bearing on their results, but they like doing it, they think it is cool or looks neat, etc. This and consumer staples are what keep the economies rolling. ;)

If somebody wants to wrap their hoods with some other material, great. Since this activity will have no impact on anybody else and doesn't hold any ethical or moral issues for mankind, then I don't see anything misguided here, personally. Could time be better spent than wrapping a lens hood in vinyl? Sure... like watching TV, drinking beer, napping, answering posts on a photog forum, extra-curricular activities with the Mrs., etc. :lol:

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 09, 2012 09:16 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #24

I love it. Pimp my camera gear! :)

Personally, I would forget the carbon fiber and go with something with more style. Like this:

http://www.lensskins.c​om/Pink_Petals_p/pi.ht​m (external link)

Seriously, white carbon fiber might look good on one of the white L lenses.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 09, 2012 09:24 |  #25

wrap one in $100 bills, it's a real attention grabber.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,728 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 09, 2012 09:34 |  #26

Talk, talk, talk. It's time to put up or shut up ;) ;)

To the OP, if you haven't gotten sick of the moral police already, here's what it would look like. Again, I did not wrap it. It came that way when I bought it from a forum member.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 09, 2012 09:49 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #27

Thanks for the photos MDJAK. The hood looks hot! I may try this!

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 09, 2012 10:00 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14691004 (external link)
So there is absolutely nothing you do to yourself or your belongings where it has no bearing on performance? Do you shave? Do you mow? Do you comb your hair? Do you keep your camera and lenses clean?
There are countless things people do that really have no bearing on their results, but they like doing it, they think it is cool or looks neat, etc. This and consumer staples are what keep the economies rolling. ;)

If somebody wants to wrap their hoods with some other material, great. Since this activity will have no impact on anybody else and doesn't hold any ethical or moral issues for mankind, then I don't see anything misguided here, personally. Could time be better spent than wrapping a lens hood in vinyl? Sure... like watching TV, drinking beer, napping, answering posts on a photog forum, extra-curricular activities with the Mrs., etc. :lol:

Teamspeed, you are digging deep here. Hygene and making your lens hood look cool are at different ends of the spectrum. I guess some people view their cameras as tools and some view them as some kind of status symbol of sorts. I know where I fit and it's ain't in the lens hood designer catagory.

But I guess whatever floats your boat Teamspeed.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 09, 2012 10:33 |  #29

i'll preface my post by saying that i personally would never wrap any of my equipment in carbon fiber vinyl, but i don't see any reason why people should be dissuaded from doing so if that's what they want.

Hogloff wrote in post #14688888 (external link)
Baffles my mind why people care so much about how their equipment looks to other people.

who ever said it was for other people? i have an eccentric tick that led me to perform the time-consuming task of removing the red "DOMKE" labels from the sides of my camera bag. they bothered me, and i personally like the look of a completely black canvas bag.

it wasn't done for anyone else, and it certainly didn't benefit it's carrying abilities in any utilitarian way. i just like it this way, so i did it.

Hogloff wrote in post #14691552 (external link)
Hygene and making your lens hood look cool are at different ends of the spectrum. I guess some people view their cameras as tools and some view them as some kind of status symbol of sorts. I know where I fit and it's ain't in the lens hood designer catagory.

you're really giving off a better-than-thou tone whether you intended on doing so or not. just because some people think a wrap would look cool on their own equipment doesn't mean you have to agree. the fact that you have different colored clothing, or drive a car other than something ultra-reliable and utilitarian like a honda civic (unless for practical purposes need something bigger or a truck).. you're lying to yourself if you think that nothing you do has ever been influenced by aesthetics.

how about your house? do you plant flowers outside, have anything other than white/beige walls, or have any artwork on your walls? before you jump on people for wanting to spend a couple dollars on customizing their possessions to their liking, you should ask yourself what you do that others can potentially find trivial.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2012 10:33 |  #30

Hogloff wrote in post #14691552 (external link)
Teamspeed, you are digging deep here. Hygene and making your lens hood look cool are at different ends of the spectrum. I guess some people view their cameras as tools and some view them as some kind of status symbol of sorts. I know where I fit and it's ain't in the lens hood designer catagory.

But I guess whatever floats your boat Teamspeed.

That is a better answer than calling others misguided... ;)

Also, shaving and combing has much more to do with style (and therefore how you want others to perceive you) than hygiene. You can have great hygiene but not shave or comb every day. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

15,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
Want to wrap my hood in carbon or somethine
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.