Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want to wrap my hood in carbon or somethine

Uncle ­ Flash
306 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 09, 2012 10:47 |  #31

Gold leaf with a pink leopard-skin interior.

Seriously, why do people really get upset about this sort of thing?

Big dreams, small wallet.

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,740 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 09, 2012 10:49 |  #32

You guys/gals just don't know the HOG. He is the devil's advocate on every topic, just generally a disagreeable fellow. Just ignore him and if we're lucky, he'll go away. :lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,557 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2012 10:53 |  #33

MDJAK wrote in post #14691768 (external link)
You guys/gals just don't know the HOG. He is the devil's advocate on every topic, just generally a disagreeable fellow. Just ignore him and if we're lucky, he'll go away. :lol:

lol, nahh, he has great insight and is very helpful in how to shoot tough situations, he's a keeper at POTN! :cool:

I actually have some vinyl fake CF look material laying around. I used it to cover a back of a tablet I bought, it gave it more grip and covered up all the manufacturer's stickers. I probably should get rid of the excess. I like the look of the hood with it on there though, much better than the scrapped up/scratched look they develop over time. Is it easy to remove if you had to put a new coat on?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,740 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 09, 2012 11:03 |  #34

Not knowing what it was, and the seller having not disclosed it was there, I was a bit taken aback when I first saw it. So, naturally, I began to peel it off. Then I realized it looked nice. And different. So I pressed the small part near the seam I lifted back down. It seems as if I could have taken it right off with no residue left.

As to HOG, I was joking, partly, at least, thus my :lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,557 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2012 11:10 |  #35

Wonder if it would start to separate in the hot sun during a day of shooting an airshow... ???

I probably have enough to do the whole body. :lol:

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 09, 2012 11:10 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

MDJAK wrote in post #14691837 (external link)
Not knowing what it was, and the seller having not disclosed it was there, I was a bit taken aback when I first saw it. So, naturally, I began to peel it off. Then I realized it looked nice. And different. So I pressed the small part near the seam I lifted back down. It seems as if I could have taken it right off with no residue left.

As to HOG, I was joking, partly, at least, thus my :lol:

MDJAK...its all in good fun. I just call them as I see them. I don't hold back any punches just to fit in. Stir it up, not really. I just wish people would concentrate more on their photography skills and improving them rather than all this peripheral crap we discuss here.

Now lets talk about how to properly meter a Hawiian sunset without blowing out the sun and keeping some structure in the shadows.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,557 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2012 11:13 |  #37

Hogloff wrote in post #14691877 (external link)
MDJAK...its all in good fun. I just call them as I see them. I don't hold back any punches just to fit in. Stir it up, not really. I just wish people would concentrate more on their photography skills and improving them rather than all this peripheral crap we discuss here.

Now lets talk about how to properly meter a Hawiian sunset without blowing out the sun and keeping some structure in the shadows.

I can't start discussing that because it will mean my wife will start talking about our trip again. It made such an impression on her when we went, she would go again at a drop of a hat. :)

Beautiful place, we most likely will go again, and then I will have to search all the topics on how to do that. :D

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 09, 2012 11:53 |  #38

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14691892 (external link)
I can't start discussing that because it will mean my wife will start talking about our trip again. It made such an impression on her when we went, she would go again at a drop of a hat. :)

Beautiful place, we most likely will go again, and then I will have to search all the topics on how to do that. :D

You'll need a set of these for your next trip!

http://www.lensskins.c​om/Island_Photographer​_p/ip.htm (external link)

:cool:

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 09, 2012 12:00 |  #39

as important as technique and development are, this forum would be a dull place if everyone treated photography so dryly. it's a hobby for a lot of people for a reason, and the process can be as enjoyable as the end result.

it baffles me when people around here say that the final image is all that matters. for me, it couldn't be farther from the truth. i shoot with old film cameras a lot because it's a cathartic experience for me. look, feel, and experience when shooting sometimes trump the reward of a well-exposed and composed image.

i think the stuff you deem as "peripheral crap" can be primary reasons for enjoyment of the craft for others. i don't know, there are a lot of things on these forums that i find irrelevant, but i usually just opt to ignore it and focus on what is important to me. the fact that you think you're speaking your mind and refusing to pull punches and fit in.. i think you're just unnecessarily giving people a hard time.

in any case, i'll wrap up by saying that i think a lot of the equipment rumor mill, arguments over things that are splitting hairs, and even hood coverings are uninteresting, but i wouldn't for a second suggest that it's crap. we're all different, and i think this forum is big enough where we can all enjoy ourselves without raining on each others parades, that's all.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,557 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2012 12:03 |  #40

tgara wrote in post #14692083 (external link)
You'll need a set of these for your next trip!

http://www.lensskins.c​om/Island_Photographer​_p/ip.htm (external link)

:cool:

My wife would love that, no doubt. For me though, its just not my color. :lol: Now that tiger skin, woohooo! Surprised they don't have a brick pattern, it would be perfect for the 24-70L.

Here in the midwest, this would be our version of camo these days: http://www.lensskins.c​om/Cracked_Up_p/cracke​dup.htm (external link)

I could put my lens and hood down on the ground during softball shoots, and lose track of them. :)

mo5751
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 09, 2012 12:15 |  #41

The main reason I wanted to do it is to hide all the scratches the hood had developed

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,557 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 09, 2012 12:21 |  #42

mo5751 wrote in post #14692197 (external link)
The main reason I wanted to do it is to hide all the scratches the hood had developed

Just think of them as professional photog battle scars! :)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,740 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 09, 2012 14:24 |  #43

It's the peripheral crap that ruined my sunrise pics on haleakala. I accidentally had a filter screwed to a filter and it caused ghosting and rings in my pics. Guess I'll have to go for what will be my fourth time. But alas, Paris is calling my name first.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,740 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 09, 2012 14:27 |  #44

You are completely right. Except for the film part. ;) :lol:

Another hobby of mine is collecting and using flashlights, mucho expensive ones. It would indeed be pretty boring if it was all about lumens and not the equipment also.

alt4852 wrote in post #14692115 (external link)
as important as technique and development are, this forum would be a dull place if everyone treated photography so dryly. it's a hobby for a lot of people for a reason, and the process can be as enjoyable as the end result.

it baffles me when people around here say that the final image is all that matters. for me, it couldn't be farther from the truth. i shoot with old film cameras a lot because it's a cathartic experience for me. look, feel, and experience when shooting sometimes trump the reward of a well-exposed and composed image.

i think the stuff you deem as "peripheral crap" can be primary reasons for enjoyment of the craft for others. i don't know, there are a lot of things on these forums that i find irrelevant, but i usually just opt to ignore it and focus on what is important to me. the fact that you think you're speaking your mind and refusing to pull punches and fit in.. i think you're just unnecessarily giving people a hard time.

in any case, i'll wrap up by saying that i think a lot of the equipment rumor mill, arguments over things that are splitting hairs, and even hood coverings are uninteresting, but i wouldn't for a second suggest that it's crap. we're all different, and i think this forum is big enough where we can all enjoy ourselves without raining on each others parades, that's all.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 09, 2012 14:42 |  #45

MDJAK wrote in post #14692768 (external link)
You are completely right. Except for the film part. ;) :lol:

Another hobby of mine is collecting and using flashlights, mucho expensive ones. It would indeed be pretty boring if it was all about lumens and not the equipment also.

that's because you've haven't used one of these:

IMAGE: http://joeyc.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/rolleiflex28f.jpg

it's a goddamn work of art if you ask me and shooting with it makes you wonder how a 60 year old camera that works on springs and gears can be oh-so-smooth. :p

as for flashlights, i recently bought and used a klarus XT11 on my trip out into the deserts of utah, arizona, and nevada. i paid a pretty penny for it, but it's definitely earned it's place in my pocket. amazing little thing. :D

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links

16,390 views & 0 likes for this thread
Want to wrap my hood in carbon or somethine
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.