Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 14 Dec 2005 (Wednesday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First post..input appreciated

jwbker
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 14, 2005 18:18 |  #1

I've been checking out this forum for awhile now, finally got around to putting up an image.

This is not really urban, since it's in the desert, but you'll get the idea.

This was taken with a 20d at f8 and 1/100 ISO 100 and a polarizer on the 10-22 at 14mm

Please offer any critques, comments, or questions, if so moved.

Cheers,

James

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

James

sponsored links
rckaine
328 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 14, 2005 19:00 |  #2

Well talk about stiking out like a sore thumb. Not sure what to say about. I like the scenery though.

Kaine

Kevin
Cream of the Crop
5,920 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 14, 2005 19:23 |  #3

Great shot. It really speaks of the middle of know where.

jwbker
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 14, 2005 19:56 as a reply to  @ Kevin's post |  #4

I was going for the yellow when I took the shot, didn't get as much snap out of it as I wanted.

Any thoughts on technique or composition? I appreciate your responses.

James

mwinog2777
294 posts
Joined Oct 2001

Dec 14, 2005 20:17 |  #5

Excellent picture. Keep up the good work.

psykopyro
132 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 14, 2005 20:24 |  #6

awesome! where do you live? your profile says NYC but it looks like the photo's in Arizona.

Canon EOS 350D
EFS 18-55mm Lens
Focal DT-5000S
Seagate 5GB ST1 MD
(2) Sandisk Pro 1GB CF
Canon i9900 :D
---------------
Nikon FE
Vivitar S1 28-90MM Lens
---------------
Pentax ME Super

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 14, 2005 20:33 |  #7

Nice picture with main lines centrally located. You could try applying the rule of thirds here, such as offsetting the subject and the horizon so that they fall within the imaginary horizontal and vertical lines that trisect the frame. Very nice play of colours, which I suspect what attracted your eye in the first place. Try underexposing it a bit to bring out those rich details lost in the background bush, and boost up the saturation a bit in PS. Now this isn't in NYC right? Welcome to the forums!

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 14, 2005 20:34 |  #8

jwbker, I have really been working on my own post processing lately and found your pic compelling to try my newer workflows:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I'd be happy to share what I did if it is the pop you were looking for.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

jwbker
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 14, 2005 20:59 as a reply to  @ cosworth's post |  #9

I'll break the suspense to say, yes, I live in Manhattan but we lack cacti and open spaces short of the Park. psychopyro had it right with Arizona as the setting, good guess. Have you spent time there?

I'm only using the Canon utility and PS Elements at the moment, but I will get PSCS soon, which is why there's not a lot of PP done on the image. I am certainly interested in seeing your edits and learning your workflows.

About your edit, Cosworth, I like the blue you got from the sky the best. With the fire hydrant I was trying to capture the vividness of the yellow against the sky. I think a wider aperture on a bit longer lens would have done it for me, in retrospect. (Compositionally, I think the clouds get in the way in this image but I still like it overall. Might make it my avatar for starters.)

BottomBracket, thanks for reminding of the rule of thirds, a concept I think anyone is exposed to (no pun intended). It's always the neglected basic things that catch you most of the time. As you noted, the colors grabbed me and I got carried away with the sky. Again, a compositional error. The clouds come back to haunt the image again, since without them I think a crop would work nicely for this one. Next time I'm back, I'll wait for a clear blue sky and redo the photo. Could you elaborate on underexposing to bring out the detail in the brush in the background?

Thanks to all for your comments and encouragement.

James

James

SWPhotoImaging
Goldmember
3,231 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Dec 14, 2005 22:50 |  #10

This shot might have won last month's "Out of Place" competition here on POTN.

SWPhoto-Imaging

Formulated_One
227 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 14, 2005 22:55 |  #11

Just something different..!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

T.G. Photography
---------------
Please Post - Comments, Critiques, Questions, or Tips..
Equipment- Canon EOS Rebel XT 350D, Standard 18-55mm Lens, 75-300mm Lens, & $20 Wal-Mart Tripod..

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 14, 2005 23:11 |  #12

Nice comp, good effect. Welcome to POTN James!

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Images (external link)

cosworth
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 14, 2005 23:44 |  #13

Formulated, that looks great.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 15, 2005 00:28 as a reply to  @ jwbker's post |  #14

jwbker wrote:
BottomBracket, thanks for reminding of the rule of thirds, a concept I think anyone is exposed to (no pun intended). It's always the neglected basic things that catch you most of the time. As you noted, the colors grabbed me and I got carried away with the sky. Again, a compositional error. The clouds come back to haunt the image again, since without them I think a crop would work nicely for this one. Next time I'm back, I'll wait for a clear blue sky and redo the photo. Could you elaborate on underexposing to bring out the detail in the brush in the background?

Thanks to all for your comments and encouragement.

James

Hey James! The rule of thirds is just a suggestion. I didn't mean to say that you made a compositional error, in fact I like your pic. I just wondered how it would look with the rule of thirds in effect. The sky is incredible. Do you have any pictures of those saguaros?

The brushe looks awash in light too much. Perhaps by underexposing by 1/3 to 2/3 EV, there would be more detail in there. This will ( at least I hope it will) render better color saturation too for that part, and the rest of the photo. By the way, Cosworth has done a splendid job, but the blown detail on the brush gives him little to work with in that area.

I am in NYC too. Perhaps us NYorkers can meet up and do some street photography.

Keep warm!

Pio

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

cosworth
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 15, 2005 00:52 |  #15

BB, f5 the pic and see if the light burn I applied helped.

sponsored links

3,292 views & 0 likes for this thread
First post..input appreciated
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.