Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

do you trust autofocus 100% ??

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 11, 2012 03:56 |  #16

With the 85L, not really. But thats probably more user error unless I use live view but then thats not AF.

sponsored links
frontier2005
102 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 11, 2012 06:32 |  #17

i wear eyeglasses, manual focus it's really hard for me. i see it clear in viewfinder but, on LCD its blurry.

Canon 7D,135L , Canon 40mm 2.8,

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 11, 2012 08:51 |  #18

Depends on which lens I am using and its inherent "issues" with focusing, how much I am pushing the autofocus system on 5d and t2i, and what my accepted tolerance for "misfocusing" is (short distance f/2.8, group portrait f/4, landscape f/8).

frontier2005, maybe you need to adjust your diopter (the little dial next to the viewfinder). I am legallly blind without my glasses but am able to manually focus fine via the viewfinder, but it did take some adjustment.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 11, 2012 09:22 |  #19

I shoot autofocus 99% of the time. This would include shooting tennis events and family, etc.

I do resort to manual focus on some rare or difficult occassions.

It's difficult to tell if I'm spot on with manual focus whereas I rarely get any OOF shots using AF and the center point.

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 11, 2012 09:32 |  #20

AF 99% of time. For walk-around and people, I use back button focus for better control in re-composing the shot.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2012 09:43 as a reply to  @ post 14700607 |  #21

The viewfinders provided as standard equipment on DSLRs do not lend themselves to critical focus. Additionally, many lenses made today have manual focus controls that are way to coarse for precise focusing. So yes, I use AF 99% of the time. If I am shooting in very low light and the camera is mounted on a tripod I will ocasionally use live view expanded to 10X.

ceremus
266 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 11, 2012 09:58 |  #22

Beachcomber Joe wrote in post #14701592 (external link)
The viewfinders provided as standard equipment on DSLRs do not lend themselves to critical focus. Additionally, many lenses made today have manual focus controls that are way to coarse for precise focusing. So yes, I use AF 99% of the time. If I am shooting in very low light and the camera is mounted on a tripod I will ocasionally use live view expanded to 10X.

Yup, pretty much this. Manual focus SLRs and MF rangefinders were optimized for focusing manually, and DSLRs just aren't. Unless you're using the LCD w/ magnification, or you actually installed one of those split prism focus screens (if it's even possible to do so on your model), you're probably going to miss critical focus by going manual instead of AF.

My flickriver (external link)

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2012 12:29 |  #23

ceremus wrote in post #14701662 (external link)
Y... Manual focus SLRs and MF rangefinders were optimized for focusing manually, and DSLRs just aren't. Unless you're using the LCD w/ magnification, or you actually installed one of those split prism focus screens (if it's even possible to do so on your model), you're probably going to miss critical focus by going manual instead of AF.

This is the reason for me to use the EE-S screen and a split screen on my 5D`s.
The EE-S ist good for Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2, Canon FD 85/1.2 and Zeiss 35/1.4 and others.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

arkphotos
455 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 11, 2012 12:49 |  #24

100%
I tried manual focus, and miss alot more than the af does (assuming there is some contrast to grab).
My biggest problem with mf - i dont have the lenses (or viewfinder) that makes it workable. even if the viewfinder did, the focus 'throw' on all my lenses is too fast manipulate reliably.

1.6 crop & some lenses

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 11, 2012 12:53 |  #25

It seems to work fine for me. I'd say that these days if you DON'T use AF you will be missing moments.

But rather, if you don't use your AF correctly.

Gear List

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 11, 2012 13:02 |  #26

Well I can tell you that I am much less prone to focus problems when I have my F/stop bumped up to F/5.6 or higher. That's not always possible when shooting indoors.

If I am feeling lazy I don't take the time to set up extra external flashes throughout the room to brighten things up.

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 11, 2012 13:04 |  #27

BaghdadFred wrote in post #14702484 (external link)
Well I can tell you that I am much less prone to focus problems when I have my F/stop bumped up to F/5.6 or higher. That's not always possible when shooting indoors.

If I am feeling lazy I don't take the time to set up extra external flashes throughout the room to brighten things up.

That would just be hiding focus problems by utilizing a bigger DOF.

Gear List

jlbrach
219 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 11, 2012 13:04 |  #28

i trust autofocus like i trust power steering lol

canon 5d3,,1d4
85L,35L,,200 2.8,135L,70-200 2.8 ISv2

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 11, 2012 13:17 |  #29

I use AF the vast majority of the time. I feel like it's plenty accurate. There are times I will switch to MF but that's usually just if I'm having trouble getting the camera to select the correct thing to focus on. But even then that is usually solved by switching to a single AF point.

The place I use manual most is in macros, because that's where the camera has the hardest time getting it right.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,678 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 11, 2012 13:18 |  #30

ceremus wrote in post #14701662 (external link)
Yup, pretty much this. Manual focus SLRs and MF rangefinders were optimized for focusing manually, and DSLRs just aren't. Unless you're using the LCD w/ magnification, or you actually installed one of those split prism focus screens (if it's even possible to do so on your model), you're probably going to miss critical focus by going manual instead of AF.

Pretty much, manual focusing with DSLRs can be quite the pain. Not impossible but many of the focusing screens usually just aren't really very good for it. I have a split image screen for my EOS 3 that I used a fair bit but I only ever put it in my 1D Mark II once to amuse myself, I haven't really found myself using it much. I do have a couple manual focus only lenses but as long as I don't mount them to my XTi I can manually focus them fine on my 1D2.

The focusing screen on the Rebel actually effectively increases DOF and makes it harder to tell when focus snaps in to place. Most modern DSLRs share the lack of "snap" due to the screen design but at least on the "higher end" cameras you can tell, it's just more subtle.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,072 views & 0 likes for this thread
do you trust autofocus 100% ??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.