Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

do you trust autofocus 100% ??

ceremus
266 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 11, 2012 22:52 |  #46

Rayman7 wrote in post #14704457 (external link)
In my understanding: The autofocus system relies on the sensor information you give it and puts its through some form of algorithm to determine if the subject is in focus.

You're close, at least when talking about point & shoot and mirrorless cameras. They use an AF system called "contrast detect", which means that for a given focus field, the camera racks the focus back and forth and studies the area for the greatest contrast between a border, the greatest contrast being the point where focus is achieved. In contrast detect focus, an AF point can be anywhere in the frame, which is why for things like some of the Lumix G mirrorless cameras you can touch anywhere on the screen and have that be your focus point. The T4i will also have that feature when shooting in live mode, since live mode depends on contrast detect AF.

Traditional SLRs though use something called "phase detect" AF. These AF sensors bypass the camera's main sensor completely, and they work by measuring how the light comes through the lens, and whether the light is converging on the correct plane to be in focus. (This is really simplified, see here (external link) for more detail.) Phase detect is much, much faster than contrast detect.

Rayman7 wrote in post #14704457 (external link)
I've often wondered maybe there are some tips as to what information is best to give the AF point i.e. are we best to choose a particular colour to focus on? What about picking something with a line on it, or a pattern?

Obviously this isn't ideal in all situations but would be good to know if something like this helps.

All AF systems depend on contrast to some degree to attain proper focus. Autofocus systems are as useless trying to resolve a featureless blank wall as they are trying to focus in pitch dark. If you can point your focus toward a strong border between light and dark, you'll be able to focus quickly.

My flickriver (external link)

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,407 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 11, 2012 23:11 |  #47

Hell NO I do not trust anything 100% which is why I shoot in Manual Mode. :)

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2012 03:21 |  #48

Doug,

So you DO trust manual?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 12, 2012 11:21 |  #49

which means you DO trust the metering, even if it's the spot meter ;)

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,161 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 12, 2012 11:25 |  #50

Yes, unless I am doing 1:1 macro or something.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,487 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2012 11:27 |  #51

h4ppydaze wrote in post #14706741 (external link)
which means you DO trust the metering, even if it's the spot meter ;)

I trust spot metering totally. It gives me information I then use to make a conscious decision about exposure. I shoot manual to and have for decades. A spot meter can be a valuable tool if you know what to do with the information it is giving you. ;)

I don't trust autofocus 100% of the time.

sponsored links

5,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
do you trust autofocus 100% ??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.