Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 23:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D does not turn on ... except for the top LCD

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 11, 2012 23:27 |  #1

After attempting to use it with a suspect battery running low (which has worked OK in the past), the camera now refuses to turn on with any battery. Strangely, the top LCD works, and when I turn the mode dial, it responds to that. However, the camera seems paralyzed below that and the main LCD does not work and even the data light (which flashes when you insert a memory card) does not work. Needless to say, none of the lenses focus, etc. etc.

At this point, I am wondering what would be the quickest repair option. I have a trip planned next weekend and I really would like my camera before then...

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

raptor117
362 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 11, 2012 23:34 |  #2

Check if the battery compartment is corrosion free, might be some aren't in contact with the battery

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 12-24ii | Canon 24-70 f/4L IS | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC | Canon 70-300L | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 85 1.2Lii | Canon 135L
Canon 7D | Sigma 50-150 OS

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 11, 2012 23:43 as a reply to  @ raptor117's post |  #3

Have you tried pulling the small backup battery and letting the camera sit for 1/2 hour with both batteries removed. How old is the camera (is it the original backup battery .. maybe it needs replacing)?

My Gear List  :p

shoenberg3
THREAD ­ STARTER
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 11, 2012 23:48 |  #4

I tried to remove the backup battery but I wasn't able to undo the small screw that gives me access.
I may have stripped the screw...

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

870 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D does not turn on ... except for the top LCD
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.