Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Lee Foundation Kit

jamie3979
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 12, 2012 13:42 |  #1

I've just recently, as in a few hours ago, started to look at maybe making a jump to a Lee Foundation Kit. My question is can I use the wide angle adapter on a standard lens? I'm hoping that even makes sense or perhaps I need to do more research. What I was thinking of doing is buying the kit and the wide angle adapter in hopes to save some money. Will that work? Also, anyone who currently uses that type of setup what filters would you suggest to be of most useful right away? I hope these questions aren't ridiculous, but if they are keep in mind I'm still learning.

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 12, 2012 13:46 |  #2

The WA adapters can be used on any lens with the correct thread size. They just change how close the filters are to the lens.

I use the WA adapter because I need it on my 16-35 on FF.

Which filters would be most useful? Probably a .6 or .9 graduated soft ND, as well as a 2-4 stop solid ND. I have .3, .6, .9 Soft GND, .6 Hard GND, Big Stopper, and a 2-Stop Singh Ray Reverse GND.

Gear List

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 12, 2012 17:27 |  #3

IIRC, Lee is no longer offering standard adapters so once current stock is gone that'll be it for non-WA.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 17:29 |  #4

Was there even really any advantage to the non wide angle mounts?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 12, 2012 17:33 |  #5

$, that's about it.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 12, 2012 17:36 |  #6

You can use the wide angle adapter on any lens with the same thread size. The wide angle adapter mounts the holder closer and is more expensive.

Filters depends on what youre into, subject wise.

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 12, 2012 19:39 |  #7

I have a WA adapter for my 10-22 and a standard for my 70-200, as far as I can tell, there's no difference in quality, just in the design and $$ (quite a big difference in $$). I'd get a standard adapter for any lens longer than 18mm on crop. My most used filter is my 0.9 hard GND, I also have a 0.9 soft which doesn't get much use on its own.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2012 19:53 |  #8

Sirrith wrote in post #14708837 (external link)
I have a WA adapter for my 10-22 and a standard for my 70-200, as far as I can tell, there's no difference in quality, just in the design and $$ (quite a big difference in $$). I'd get a standard adapter for any lens longer than 18mm on crop. My most used filter is my 0.9 hard GND, I also have a 0.9 soft which doesn't get much use on its own.

The design with the WA adapters is to bring the filter holder closer to the lens. This prevents vignetting and that's why you pay a bit more. :)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 12, 2012 19:55 |  #9

jdizzle wrote in post #14708898 (external link)
The design with the WA adapters is to bring the filter holder closer to the lens. This prevents vignetting and that's why you pay a bit more. :)

Yup, I know :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links

1,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with Lee Foundation Kit
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.