Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Jul 2012 (Friday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brand new 5D3 for $3199 + 5D3 kit for $3999 + FS at Frys.com

CanonCleGuy
680 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 13, 2012 09:47 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

If you are charged tax, I don't think its a good deal. Else its a fantastic deal

http://www.frys.com/pr​oduct/7016181 (external link)

http://www.frys.com …te=sr:SEARCH:MA​IN_RSLT_PG (external link)

Good luck

5D Mark 3 | 7D + BG-E7 | 60D (Wife)
70-200 II L | 50 L | 100mm L | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 2X III | 28-135 (Wife) Wishlist: BG-E11 + 24-70 L, 24-70 II L , 1DX :shock:
600 EX-RT | 430 EX II | Manfrotto tripod + head | Lowepro

sponsored links
Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 13, 2012 10:49 |  #2

CanonCleGuy wrote in post #14711084 (external link)
If you are charged tax, I don't think its a good deal. Else its a fantastic deal

http://www.frys.com/pr​oduct/7016181 (external link)

http://www.frys.com …te=sr:SEARCH:MA​IN_RSLT_PG (external link)

Good luck

It's not really plus - i am pretty sure you can buy either one :)

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 13, 2012 12:43 |  #3

Kirill wrote in post #14711308 (external link)
It's not really plus - i am pretty sure you can buy either one :)

I live near a Fry's so their ads are in my local newspaper. Each Friday they come out with a new multi full page ad. They are showing the 5D3 in both body only and kit form (18-135) at the prices in the title. It says limited to one per customer.

I haven't been following 5D3 prices so I can't comment on how good a deal it is.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

mqqse
153 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2012 07:31 |  #4

Anyone know if they are considered an "office supply" by Amex for the 5% cash back? :)

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 14, 2012 22:15 |  #5

Yup, not really a deal if you have to pay tax like I do in CA. It comes out to ~$3480 for the body only with tax.

jnaks
474 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 15, 2012 01:54 |  #6

mqqse wrote in post #14715000 (external link)
Anyone know if they are considered an "office supply" by Amex for the 5% cash back? :)

Probably because of the vast range of stuff they sell under one roof. You get a lot of electronics like radio shack basics to computers to cameras. On top of that there are office materials as well as fridges and washing machines.

If you can read this, you don't need a macro | 7D + 5DIII + Waaaay too much spent....

shinksma
709 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 15, 2012 15:16 |  #7

Amazon.com has price-matched the Fry's offers for the Body only and the Body+lens kit. Need to ship from Amazon, not a third-party. Not in stock - ships in 2-4 weeks or 1-3 months, respectively, I believe.

I wonder whether these will be temporary price cuts that will return to higher prices after a week or so until the BlackFriday-Christmas sales? Or is this the start of the discounts, and the prices will slowly creep down from now on?

Hmm, need to research 5DII pricing history...

shinksma

5DII | T3i | EF 17-40 L | EF 24-105 L | EF 24 1.4 L II | EF 28 1.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II | EF 100-400 L | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 10-22 USM | EF 100 2.8 Macro USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF 35-80 III | EF-S 55-250 IS | Rokinon 8mm FE | EF 75-300 non-USM III | SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-210 | 430EX II | Kenko 2x MC4 and 1.4x Pro300DGX TC

baj2k
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 16, 2012 11:58 |  #8

shinksma wrote in post #14720248 (external link)
Amazon.com has price-matched the Fry's offers for the Body only and the Body+lens kit. Need to ship from Amazon, not a third-party. Not in stock - ships in 2-4 weeks or 1-3 months, respectively, I believe.

I wonder whether these will be temporary price cuts that will return to higher prices after a week or so until the BlackFriday-Christmas sales? Or is this the start of the discounts, and the prices will slowly creep down from now on?

Hmm, need to research 5DII pricing history...

shinksma

Amazon is already back up to $3484. I just happened to see the offer last night on canonpricewatch.com just before 10pm PST on Amazon and jumped on it. I got it for $3199 no tax, free expedited shipping, and 12 months no interest financing. I noticed Abe's of Maine pulled their $3199 price down too, last time I checked they were offering $50 off at $3449.

The trend appears to be when the 2nd Tier authorized Canon retailers get down to their last few in stock they drop to $3199 to drum up interest and to sell out. Then they go back to close to the normal $3499. Meanwhile for a very short time other Tier 1 authorized Canon retailers price match at $3199 until they realize whoever started the "price wars" has gone back up in price and they too pull the plug.

So have your money ready, husband, wife, SO, and/or all three in-line and "ok" with the deal (very important :cool:), then camp on Canon Price Watch (external link) and wait for another $3199 deal from a authorized Canon retailer to pop up and then you pounce on it, or if you don't like that seller have your preferred "price matching" authorized Canon retailer warming up in the bull-pen.

Worked for me... :)

Storage
327 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 16, 2012 17:03 |  #9

baj2k wrote in post #14724184 (external link)
Amazon is already back up to $3484. I just happened to see the offer last night on canonpricewatch.com just before 10pm PST on Amazon and jumped on it. I got it for $3199 no tax, free expedited shipping, and 12 months no interest financing. I noticed Abe's of Maine pulled their $3199 price down too, last time I checked they were offering $50 off at $3449.

The trend appears to be when the 2nd Tier authorized Canon retailers get down to their last few in stock they drop to $3199 to drum up interest and to sell out. Then they go back to close to the normal $3499. Meanwhile for a very short time other Tier 1 authorized Canon retailers price match at $3199 until they realize whoever started the "price wars" has gone back up in price and they too pull the plug.

So have your money ready, husband, wife, SO, and/or all three in-line and "ok" with the deal (very important :cool:), then camp on Canon Price Watch (external link) and wait for another $3199 deal from a authorized Canon retailer to pop up and then you pounce on it, or if you don't like that seller have your preferred "price matching" authorized Canon retailer warming up in the bull-pen.

Worked for me... :)

Directly from Amazon.com or other merchants. You got a good deal. i want to get the same deal too

baj2k
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 16, 2012 17:08 |  #10

Storage wrote in post #14725729 (external link)
Directly from Amazon.com or other merchants. You got a good deal. i want to get the same deal too

I'll PM you if I see it come back... the credit approval took about 30 seconds during check-out. We have to stick together... it's us against them... :cool:

Storage
327 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 16, 2012 19:01 |  #11

baj2k wrote in post #14725750 (external link)
I'll PM you if I see it come back... the credit approval took about 30 seconds during check-out. We have to stick together... it's us against them... :cool:

Thanks, that would be great. Where would I have to frequently check for updates? I notice you said you saw this from Canon Price Watch and is it under deals? I want to make sure I get a hold of this deal and also, would I be taxed if I order this to be shipped to NYC?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 16, 2012 19:25 |  #12

Good friend in New Mexico emailed this am that he'd just ordered a 5D3 from Adorama this am - he's heading for the Olympics and needed one asap. I sent him the links to Frys showing those prices, he rang up Adorama a couple of hours ago and they're matching the price and giving him a credit for the difference.
That's great service.

baj2k
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 16, 2012 19:43 |  #13

Yes Rick, somebody did something (and I thank them profusely) because the price was only up for a short time. I don't know exactly when it started or ended but I checked at 10pm PST on Canon Price Watch and when I saw Amazon had it for $3199 I about s#!t myself and I was over there ordering it lickety-split and was out the virtual sales door in less than 5 minutes flat. I had already got the CFO (my lovely wife's) go ahead earlier to buy it at Abe's but I hate their "upsell calls" so I hesitated overnight thinking I'd ask someone to else price match in the morning and bam it was gone overnight. So when it came up on Amazon, one of my three preferred Canon authorized dealers, I was all over it in an instant. The moral of the story is if you see that $3199 price at a reputable "no hassle" Canon authorized dealer jump on it quick cause it won't last.

Anyway... "Storage" bookmark this link for an instant Canon Price Watch search for Canon 5D's... Canon Price Watch 5Dx search... (external link) As far as taxes, it depends. California doesn't tax on Amazon and I don't think NY does either. General rule is if the retailer has any physical presence in your state then they will tax you. Abe's of Maine is in NJ (go figure) so if they do the $3199 again they shouldn't tax you. For me Newegg is in CA so they tax me which is why I never buy from them. I don't think Newegg taxes in NY <shrug>. So the answer to your tax questions is "it depends on where you live relative to the Canon authorized dealer you buy from". Good luck...

Storage
327 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 16, 2012 19:54 |  #14

baj2k wrote in post #14726459 (external link)
Anyway "Storage" bookmark this link for an instant Canon Price Watch search for Canon 5D's... Canon Price Watch 5Dx search... (external link) As far as taxes it depends. California doesn't tax for Amazon and I don't think NY does either. General rule is if the retailer has any physical presence in your state then they will tax you. Abe's of Maine is in NJ (go figure) so if they do the $3199 they shouldn't. For me Newegg.com is in CA so they tax which is why I never buy from them. I don't think they tax in NY. So the answer to your tax questions is "it depends on where you live relative to the Canon authorized dealer you buy from". Good luck...

Oh my gosh thank you. You know what? I just checked with Amazon and I believe there's tax with New York and there's no tax with New Egg. I guess I will have to go with New Egg as I am leaving myself with no choice, $3.2K * 1.08 = close to $3.5K

I can also get cash rebate with New Egg like $50 so all in for $3450

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 16, 2012 21:28 |  #15

baj2k wrote in post #14726459 (external link)
As far as taxes, it depends. California doesn't tax on Amazon and I don't think NY does either. General rule is if the retailer has any physical presence in your state then they will tax you. Abe's of Maine is in NJ (go figure) so if they do the $3199 again they shouldn't tax you. For me Newegg is in CA so they tax me which is why I never buy from them. I don't think Newegg taxes in NY <shrug>. So the answer to your tax questions is "it depends on where you live relative to the Canon authorized dealer you buy from". Good luck...

Enjoy it while you can. Soon Amazon will begin collecting taxes in California.

From Forbes Online. "Late Friday, the California Assembly gave final legislative approval to a deal that requires Amazon.com to begin collecting sales tax from state residents on Sept. 15th 2012, unless Congress passes by July 31 of next year a federal law authorizing states to collect taxes from Internet sellers. An earlier California law, which the just-passed legislation repeals, had required certain Internet sellers, including Amazon, to begin collecting the state’s sales tax on July 1, 2011."

According to another site they are now collecting taxes in New York.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

sponsored links

1,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Brand new 5D3 for $3199 + 5D3 kit for $3999 + FS at Frys.com
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.