Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Australian Shepherd and a German Pinscher

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 15, 2012 09:46 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Would love a little C+C on these shots please. It was taken at a "Dog-B-Q" after the Doggies on Parade event for the 4th of July, so the background setting is going to have clutter. Not sure how you could avoid that at a barbecue so keep that in mind when commenting please :P Mainly want to know how I did on capturing the dog in the photo.

Both were taken with my 60D, and the old 18-55 kit lens from my Xti

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

sponsored links
Shutterwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 15, 2012 20:20 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

some critique or comments would be very much appreciated please :P

Josh
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

Croasdail
making stuff up
8,002 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 15, 2012 21:42 |  #3

Cute dog in the first shot, but the background is killing it for me. Not a bad "picture" but not show quality because of the issues with the background.

2nd shot the background is n to as much of an issue for me, and technically the processing is fine. I am not sure if the crop is the best... I am not a fan of overused vignetting BUT in the case, it might work to help isolate the dog more. Not sure... it is again one of those things is dog looks fine, and technical processing is fine, but crop and to some extent background hurt the image.

Now would the owner of either dog be happy with these shots.... sure. They are in the realm of snap shots plus. Much better than an average joe\jane's shot. But to me, they come up short of wall hangers. More screen savers - if that makes any sense.

Shutterwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 16, 2012 02:31 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Nods. Well considering the event, the background was what it was. No way around it. It was a huge gathering of people with their dogs for a bbq after being in a 4th of July parade. Also, only the top picture is cropped. the bottom one was just how it was. If I knew my stuff in photoshop, I could put a new background and make it look like that's where I was, but that's far beyond my skill level.

Edit: My bad, I did crop the second one as well, but only the bottom and right side of the picture. Wasted space with nothing that added to the picture.

Josh

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,213 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 16, 2012 05:43 |  #5

Very beautiful dogs that are nice and sharp. We all struggle with distracting backgrounds!

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
8,002 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 16, 2012 17:22 |  #6

So I get that the background is what it is.... but in the first shot, you had the dogs attention. Had you elevated up just a bit, the dog would have followed you up... and you would be shooting at a deeper angle, making the legs disappear. Second shot... granted, don't see much of any way around that one.

moden1223
39 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 17, 2012 18:06 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #7

Watch your backgrounds. Distracting ones kill great moments.

sponsored links

1,297 views & 0 likes for this thread
Australian Shepherd and a German Pinscher
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.