Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jul 2012 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 15:46 |  #31

As if I could afford to attend the olympics but just one more reason NOT to go to see them.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

sponsored links
Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 16, 2012 16:07 |  #32

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #14723855 (external link)
I think security is in the uppermost thought of officials.

I guarantee that in relation to the restrictions on cameras/photography, security has not factored in to the thoughts of a single official.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14724258 (external link)
It can't possibly work Vs the general public but it can be a precondition of media accreditation.

I suspect we're not getting the whole picture with this 'ban', but this sounds closer to reality.

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 16, 2012 16:43 |  #33

Echo Johnson wrote in post #14725425 (external link)
I guarantee that in relation to the restrictions on cameras/photography, security has not factored in to the thoughts of a single official.

It better have factored into it for at least a few if even a single one of them is worth their salt. Do you know how much damage one can do with a few 'minor' modifications to something like a 600mm lens? There are lots of methods that someone could use an object like a large camera lens to inflict serious damage, and several can even be done in such a way that the lens would remain basically functional!

An inability to think of ways something as innocent as a camera could be used for something terrible is simply an issue of a lack of imagination. (I wrote security training scenarios to help pay for University.)

These days, security is an absolute nightmare. I'm sure more than a few officials will develop medical conditions due to stress before the games are finished.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 16, 2012 17:01 |  #34

The rules over what camera you can and can't use are just another in the long line of cock-ups, from tickets sales to security.

Today was the first day for security to start at venues in Manchester and only 18 of the 59 contracted workers bothered to turn up.

The ban at football grounds is to be expected as Dataco have the whole of football in the UK sewn up, with cameras not allowed for spectators at ANY league game and very strict rules for the media too..

If you really must take olympic photos then it's the Marathon, Walk or Cycle Road out on the public streets option only.

Gear List

windpig
Chopped liver
15,636 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 16, 2012 17:44 |  #35

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14725055 (external link)
:)

Did someone really tell me to go FYS?

I don't think POTN has a thread for that kind of photography. ;)

They better not have. You've got connections, hell, they named an Alaska town after you.:lol::lol:

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,393 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 16, 2012 18:43 |  #36

Why are people acting surprised?

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 16, 2012 18:55 as a reply to  @ photoguy6405's post |  #37

What's next, tax on TEA?

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 16, 2012 19:03 |  #38

Wait..........that was terrible of me.....using a contraction......

What is next, a tax on TEA?

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2012 19:06 |  #39

You-by-Lou wrote in post #14726303 (external link)
Wait..........that was terrible of me.....using a contraction......

What is next, a tax on TEA?

royalist... :p

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 16, 2012 19:09 |  #40

Luckless wrote in post #14725621 (external link)
It better have factored into it for at least a few if even a single one of them is worth their salt. Do you know how much damage one can do with a few 'minor' modifications to something like a 600mm lens? There are lots of methods that someone could use an object like a large camera lens to inflict serious damage, and several can even be done in such a way that the lens would remain basically functional!

An inability to think of ways something as innocent as a camera could be used for something terrible is simply an issue of a lack of imagination. (I wrote security training scenarios to help pay for University.)

These days, security is an absolute nightmare. I'm sure more than a few officials will develop medical conditions due to stress before the games are finished.

I think I know exactly the sorts of modifications you speak of. I've also been involved with security in some form or another my entire working life..and even before then.

My comment was more aimed at the mindset of the officials (£££ - from the top, at least, and as we all know, sh!t rolls downhill) than at cameras not potentially posing a security threat.

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 16, 2012 20:10 |  #41

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14723481 (external link)
They are, indeed, being ridiculous. Ah, the English (or more likely the Americans) and their stuffy rules on anything that might stifle the money exchange.

Whatever.

I love watching the Olympics and admire the work the athletes put into their craft, but in the end it's just games that people play against each other for fun. To take it so seriously is silly, in my opinion, and aside from what the athletes may do later in life, the pursuit of Olympic gold is not what most would consider a selfless pursuit.

Amazing how worked up people get over recreational activities.

My point being that they shouldn't care one flip if people take all the photos they want (provided they aren't standing up in front of fellow spectators).

Stuff em. Just put a 100-400L (extended and locked) in your jeans (the tightest ones you can find) and saunter in there with the smallest point and shoot you can find hanging around your neck.

And make sure your top three shirt buttons are undone/ add mascara to your chest hair.

Works every time.

Not sure why you think it is the Americans causing this issue. Bottom line it is a business and the business is to make money. So they do not want people in there with dSLR cameras... so what?

Turner Field, your local stadium(and mine) has a rule and will enforce it. No lenses past 5 inches. There is more to the end photos than just restricting the dSLR. Your big lens can interfere with me enjoying the game. You could use it as a weapon. You could throw it onto the field. It could prevent you from quickly leaving your seat area if required. The list goes on.

And the money... this is the Olympics. It will bring in a lot of money and is a big deal. They don't want people in the stands taking photos and giving them away. Sharing for free. Etc.

I think it's dumb but understand it.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14724180 (external link)
For those who are experiencing their first Olympics under the veil of being a "photographer," understand that the IOC owns the rights to the "pictures, descriptions and accounts" of the games.

EXACTLY.

I don't think people fully understand how all of this works. The same is true if you go to a local race track. They do not prevent you from taking a photo but Grand-Am, ALMS and NASCAR still owns their photos. And the track might have their own rules.

Teams that employ photographers, media outlets and others have their own agreements in place. The same goes for the Olympics. They just want to protect their images more than others.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,388 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 16, 2012 20:26 |  #42

Im more shocked that McDonalds and Coca Cola sponsor the Olympics. But seriously thats crazy. Great Britain eh!! Sigh.

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 16, 2012 20:28 |  #43

dexy101 wrote in post #14726625 (external link)
Im more shocked that McDonalds and Coca Cola sponsor the Olympics. But seriously thats crazy. Great Britain eh!! Sigh.

The fry thing is pretty lame. However when you go to your local professional sporting event you don't see Pepe and Coke served side by side. Turner Field is sponsored by Coke and there is no Pepsi in sight. Just how it goes.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 16, 2012 20:35 |  #44

dinanm3atl wrote in post #14726629 (external link)
The fry thing is pretty lame. However when you go to your local professional sporting event you don't see Pepe and Coke served side by side. Turner Field is sponsored by Coke and there is no Pepsi in sight. Just how it goes.

Heck, the Coke/Pepsi thing has seeped into schools and universities. All hail the almighty dollar!

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 16, 2012 23:22 |  #45

McDonald's fries are tasty, but are they even made from potatoes? I'm afraid to eat them anymore. They lost our business after the whole pink slime affair. We generally eat organic meat anyway, along with organic everything else (as much as we can).

I was able to bring "pro" gear to Turner field and shoot pictures of the Braves. I ended up deleting all the photos anyway as they were pretty crappy photos.

But in the end, that's why I like professional surfing. It's the only sport in the world in which attendance is free, you mingle with the professionals (although they do get a VIP area to escape the autograph-seeking kids and girls), and you can actually surf with them before and after each day's competition. Nobody stops you from shooting using any gear you want and you can do whatever you want with the photos.

And guess what: The tour is still growing in sponsorship dollars.

Very few people can actually say, "I know what it's like to play in the Superbowl," but anybody with a surfboard can paddle out at twelve-foot Pipeline and find out exactly what it's like to ride those waves.

Which is why it's my favorite sport.

Eleven-Time World Champion Ke11y Slater before and after his heat (as I sat on the beach with my pops, enjoying the competition).

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/921099012_nFpn8-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/884066272_PL65D-XL.jpg

And even cooler is the fact that these guys never say no to a kid's autograph or a geek like myself asking to take a photo.

Tim Reyes, California pro.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

And one of my personal favorites, Taylor Knox.

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/Portraits/Portraits/Knox/883757079_EXoHZ-XL.jpg

These guys get paid (and paid well these days) to travel the world and surf in eleven events a year: Australia, Fiji, Tahiti, Japan, California, France, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Hawaii. My dream is to someday grab a journal, some nice camera gear, and hit each event along the way. It's like no other sport in the world. Takes years to master and before you know it, you're hooked for life and part of a brotherhood that transcends all money, etc. Once you're a true surfer it's for life. You can take a surfer out of the ocean, but you can't take the ocean out of the surfer.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links

17,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.