Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jul 2012 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 11:25 |  #61

diableri wrote in post #14729580 (external link)
That may be for racing (I know nothing about pro racing) but it's honestly not like that for surfing (at least in CA and HI). It's just not that interesting for enough people to come just for a meet and greet. The same number of folks would attend whether or not you could talk to the surfers minus a tiny %. Talking to them is just an added bonus. Much smaller community I think than racing.

I'm struggling to understand the concept of car racing being more interesting than, say, paint drying.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

sponsored links
diableri
148 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 17, 2012 11:29 |  #62

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14729591 (external link)
I'm struggling to understand the concept of car racing being more interesting than, say, paint drying.

It's pretty huge, not my thing; but I can't deny there's a lot of people out there that love it. I also can't deny that I really enjoy driving fast on both two and four wheels myself. Watching other folks do it just makes me jealous though. :D

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2012 11:42 |  #63

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14729591 (external link)

Really?

Car related stuff is for 'car people' but the crowds present at a race might lead one to assume it is very popular. And the amount of sponsor dollars and TV coverage says it is worth it. Definitely recommend going out to an event and bring your camera. It is one of the most exciting things to shoot.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 11:44 |  #64

dinanm3atl wrote in post #14729667 (external link)
Really?

Car related stuff is for 'car people' but the crowds present at a race might lead one to assume it is very popular. And the amount of sponsor dollars and TV coverage says it is worth it. Definitely recommend going out to an event and bring your camera. It is one of the most exciting things to shoot.

Still really struggling.

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2012 11:45 |  #65

To each their own. What do you shoot that you find more interesting?

A good motorsports photo just evokes a story.

1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 11:47 |  #66

dinanm3atl wrote in post #14729688 (external link)
To each their own. What do you shoot that you find more interesting?

Paint drying, clearly.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …Simon_Gardner/S​amauri.gif (external link)

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 17, 2012 12:05 |  #67

I'm not into cars or car racing but if I had a chance at shooting a car race or another car event, I'd probably go for it just for the experience points ;)

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 12:14 |  #68

AvailableLight wrote in post #14729789 (external link)
I'm not into cars or car racing but if I had a chance at shooting a car race or another car event, I'd probably go for it just for the experience points ;)

My best friend follows Formula 1 assiduously. She goes whenever she can. Camps out for days and everything. I still don't get it.

I'd go if I was offered a 5-star hotel for free but I still wouldn't actually leave the hotel to watch those brain-bendingly tedious cars go round.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …imon_Gardner/sa​murai3.gif (external link)

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 17, 2012 12:39 |  #69

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14729822 (external link)
My best friend follows Formula 1 assiduously. She goes whenever she can. Camps out for days and everything. I still don't get it.

I'd go if I was offered a 5-star hotel for free but I still wouldn't actually leave the hotel to watch those brain-bendingly tedious cars go round.
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

You WILL like car racing, dammit!

Just kidding, you've made it pretty clear that you don't get it. I still think you need to mention it one more time, with feeling :p

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 17, 2012 13:16 |  #70

mikeinctown wrote in post #14724953 (external link)
There have been quotes from the IOC posted in the past few weeks that say this is simply not the case. People can post tpo FB etc. What they cannot do is use their phone as a mobile hotspot in order to upload photos.

Hmmm maybe I'm not understanding this. So:

1. Someone could take a picture with their phone.
2. But are then not allowed to post it to facebook from their phone?

If it's a restriction on running a mobile hotspot because they don't want people copying photos from their real cameras to the internet quickly at the event, couldn't one just say...take pics to a micro sd card in a cf or sd to micro sd adapter, then simply put the micro sd card into the phone and upload it, taking all of 2 seconds longer? This makes no sense to me...then again, most of the restrictions don't...I haven't watched the olympics in probably 10 years, though. Gotta laugh at all the attempts to region lock various official sites that broadcast it (and how brainless it would be to get around if one cared), and other sports, online--we want a free market and free trade, but but---only one way, if you're an end user, you can't use content from outside your own country damnit, that's stealing from the people who bought the broadcast rights!!!

It's like they try to monetize everything as much as possible, and simply don't realize everyone else is laughing at them.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2012 13:22 |  #71

You hit the nail on the head. Monetize it... and don't care.

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 13:27 |  #72

AvailableLight wrote in post #14729927 (external link)
I still think you need to mention it one more time, with feeling :p

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …r/2_original_ic​on_lol.gif (external link)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 17, 2012 13:43 |  #73

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #14728050 (external link)
Wrong in some sense, you need a model release if you are going to use it for commercial reasons. And if the model is under 18, a parent or guardian has to sign the release regardless if used for non-/commercial reasons

Sorry but in the UK there is just no legal requirement what so ever for model release forms.

It maybe good practise to obtain one, just in case you wish to use the image commercially overseas, this is the reason stock agencies require them so as not to limit their market, but for sole UK use not needed.

You need parent or guardian consent for paid work of a child model,but not for unpaid work, also there are no age limits on photographing children in the UK ( apart from the obvious indecency laws )

Gear List

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 17, 2012 14:03 |  #74

woos wrote in post #14730105 (external link)
Hmmm maybe I'm not understanding this. So:

1. Someone could take a picture with their phone.
2. But are then not allowed to post it to facebook from their phone?

If it's a restriction on running a mobile hotspot because they don't want people copying photos from their real cameras to the internet quickly at the event, couldn't one just say...take pics to a micro sd card in a cf or sd to micro sd adapter, then simply put the micro sd card into the phone and upload it, taking all of 2 seconds longer? This makes no sense to me...then again, most of the restrictions don't...I haven't watched the olympics in probably 10 years, though. Gotta laugh at all the attempts to region lock various official sites that broadcast it (and how brainless it would be to get around if one cared), and other sports, online--we want a free market and free trade, but but---only one way, if you're an end user, you can't use content from outside your own country damnit, that's stealing from the people who bought the broadcast rights!!!

It's like they try to monetize everything as much as possible, and simply don't realize everyone else is laughing at them.

Facebook is not in question. there have been statements saying this is not a problem, and the ticket agreement says nothing about posting images to the site, only sound and video. MHO is that the hotspot means you don't take 12 gigs of photos and use your phone to upload high res images to your site or to a newspaper or tv station for media use. You are using it as a computer/wireless access point and not as a basic smartphone that can take photos.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,771 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 17, 2012 15:06 |  #75

Wait ... no chips?

I'm out.

sponsored links

17,897 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.