Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jul 2012 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,625 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 19, 2012 11:59 |  #121

hollis_f wrote in post #14739778 (external link)
Unfortunately it is a popular pastime amongst many of the English to complain about everything around them. If their dire predictions fail to come true then they just invent things to complain about.

We don't need to invent things to complain about, we have Americans giving us more than enough to complain about;)

For these people not only is the glass half empty....

....and the remaining half is filled with warm beer :( - even I can't stomach that I am a Brit!

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 19, 2012 12:08 |  #122

Dan Marchant wrote in post #14740206 (external link)
We don't need to invent things to complain about, we have Americans giving us more than enough to complain about;)

just sharing the surplus!

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 19, 2012 12:11 |  #123

scatterbrained, private means non commercial. Social media photos are generally non commercial in nature. The IOC is worried about commercial use of photos. In fact, what you posted is actually a cut and paste of the actual words, which makes it read different than it is.

19.6.3 Images, video and sound recordings of the Games taken by a Ticket Holder cannot be used for any purpose other than for private and domestic purposes and a Ticket Holder may not license, broadcast or publish video and/or sound recordings, including on social networking websites and the internet more generally, and may not exploit images, video and/or sound recordings for commercial purposes under any circumstances, whether on the internet or otherwise, or make them available to third parties for commercial purposes

the actual quote clearly states no VIDEO OR SOUND on social sites, but it does NOT mention photos.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 19, 2012 12:55 |  #124

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14739931 (external link)
As far as the Ticket conditions, it does say Images, video and sound, i.e. photos; can only be used for private and domestic purposes. This precludes social media, which is neither private nor domestic.

Really? You don't think that posting to my Facebook page is 'domestic use'. I would disagree. And if LOCOG thought that that first clause

Images, video and sound recordings of the Games taken by a Ticket Holder cannot be used for any purpose other than for private and domestic purposes

did cover social networking sites, why does the second clause

a Ticket Holder may not license, broadcast or publish video and/or sound recordings, including on social networking websites

specifically mention them? The only reason I can think of is that the first clause refers to images, video and sound; while the second clause refers only to the latter two - images are not included.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 19, 2012 12:59 |  #125

Why would they be more restrictive of sound and video than of images? And, since MJPEG is a succession of independent still images, are MJPEG files OK to upload to facebook? After all, they're just a lot of still images put into one file! :twisted:

Tom

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 19, 2012 13:09 |  #126

RTPVid wrote in post #14740432 (external link)
Why would they be more restrictive of sound and video than of images? And, since MJPEG is a succession of independent still images, are MJPEG files OK to upload to facebook? After all, they're just a lot of still images put into one file! :twisted:

like i said earlier , they dont really care if you are "sharing" images with your buddies on facebook or a forum.

they do however care if people are going to youtube to see the video of an event you uploaded instead of watching it on the television station that paid for the broadcast rights.

there is a big, big difference.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 19, 2012 15:06 |  #127

They need to serve free cheese at the Olympics.

........ to go with everyone's whine. ;)

Thank you. bw!

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 19, 2012 18:15 |  #128

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14727354 (external link)
McDonald's fries are tasty, but are they even made from potatoes? I'm afraid to eat them anymore. They lost our business after the whole pink slime affair.

Every company and every person makes mistakes. If you stop buying from a company once they've made any sort of mistake you'll soon be out of companies to buy from.

Pink slime meat? Never heard of it. Just where do you live?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,511 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 19, 2012 18:22 |  #129

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14741656 (external link)
Every company and every person makes mistakes. If you stop buying from a company once they've made any sort of mistake you'll soon be out of companies to buy from.

This is the "pink slime" fiasco he's referencing.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=RBkwUt-bqIo (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 20, 2012 10:05 |  #130

Well out of all this I will be happy to take a used 1D mk X from the Olympics. Read somewhere that they are using heaps of 1D mk X

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 20, 2012 11:13 as a reply to  @ lensfreak's post |  #131

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14741656 (external link)

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14741684 (external link)
This is the "pink slime" fiasco he's referencing.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=RBkwUt-bqIo (external link)

Some people need to do some research and exploring for themselves before overreacting. Not saying the quoted specifically but I already posted this link below.

http://www.snopes.com/​food/prepare/msm.asp (external link)

McDonald's specifically has used white breast meat since 2003... almost a decade before this "Pink Slime" was a hot topic issue.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 20, 2012 11:56 |  #132

also the slime isnt limited to McDonald's, some supermarkets use it too.

sponsored links

18,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.