Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)

this thread is locked
Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,186 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 18, 2012 16:08 |  #31

Wendelius wrote in post #14736021 (external link)
Hey everyone. Long long time no see. Photography has been far down my list for months as this has been a turbulent year. But my work has spontaneously decided to unblock POTN and summer means my camera keeps wink wink nudge nudging me to go take pictures. :)

First of all, the baby pictures in this thread and the last (I've started catching up a bit) are amazing. Special mention to the Batman one for the awww factor.

So, photography. What better photo op than the Olympics, right?

I'm just curious whether anyone here has got events booked and is planning to take advantage of it to capture some memories. If so, what photographic gear you are planning to bring with you?

With the Olympics organisers refusing to clarify photography rules ahead of Games (external link) (I tried emailing the helpline and only got a link to the generic restrictions page (external link) for my trouble), there is a bit of a risk factor to taking any long lenses with you.

However, they do accept that you can take photos as personal memories. So while I'll avoid bringing anything with an interchangeable lens to Wembley, here is what I'm thinking of taking with me for fencing, dressage and hockey:

• My Canon 7D. It's not afraid of high iso and the autofocus should be perfect for it. Also, crop = more reach.
  • A Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM I rented from LensesForHire (external link). I wasn't about to spend money on buying one as my 70-200mm lens is my least used. I'm more of a city shooter. But I thought it would be nice to have a decent telephoto lens to take with me. Also, this review (external link) mentions it fits in a Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW Case (external link). So it should fit all size restrictions, right?

• A Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake. This one (external link). It reviews very well. All the people who have posted samples in this POTN thread seem to really like it. They say that, for the price (I paid £189 for it), the quality is excellent. Also, it takes no space at all and would fit in the same small camera bag easily. :cool:

That way, I would have something for portraits and something for the event.

What do you reckon? Are you aware of any further restrictions which would make this not work? And if you are going to the games, what are you bringing?

Wendy

Hi & welcome back on the brand new thread:)

We have tickets for Rowing ~ re dSLR and lenses. According a book published by LOCOG & if I recall on their online info? no lens greater than 30cm in length!!!

I think it was Stewart & one of his colleagues that put me onto that little datum, so that in practice rules out the 100-400 in my bag :( Like you I am perhaps too late in the day thinking/planning to rent something but fear the 70-300 may be 'seen' as too long by some jobs worth especially if they realsie it extends when zoomed (I think that is what it does like its non L version???). Somewhere mention was made that any bags brought to the venues should not exceed 25litre capacity.

The other things annoys and baffles me that nowhere apparently for security reasons do they publish or provide seating plans so I have no idea in distance terms how far from the lake or the finish line where our seats are located???

In regard to lens choice I do wonder how many people going who like us are keen (amateur) photographers might/could/will get kit stopped at security because it does not meet the criteria? If that does happen I bet "security" do not have secured holding bins/lockers for detained property ~ hence why to avoid any chance of trouble getting in I acting on a risk aware basis :fingers crossed:

Edit ~ reading the BJP online article and comments just makes the whole matter a quagmire. FWIW I bought the book I mention cheaper via Amazon than LOCOG was selling it for and I will take it with a post-it note flagging the page where it says what is acceptable............​...either that and/or just use the 24-105 and live with what I get with that short a lens.

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

sponsored links
Mstar
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2006

Jul 18, 2012 17:37 |  #32

Box Brownie wrote in post #14736166 (external link)

We have tickets for Rowing ~ re dSLR and lenses. According a book published by LOCOG & if I recall on their online info? no lens greater than 30cm in length!!!

I think it was Stewart & one of his colleagues that put me onto that little datum, so that in practice rules out the 100-400 in my bag :( Like you I am perhaps too late in the day thinking/planning to rent something but fear the 70-300 may be 'seen' as too long by some jobs worth especially if they realsie it extends when zoomed (I think that is what it does like its non L version???). Somewhere mention was made that any bags brought to the venues should not exceed 25litre capacity.

The other things annoys and baffles me that nowhere apparently for security reasons do they publish or provide seating plans so I have no idea in distance terms how far from the lake or the finish line where our seats are located???

In regard to lens choice I do wonder how many people going who like us are keen (amateur) photographers might/could/will get kit stopped at security because it does not meet the criteria? If that does happen I bet "security" do not have secured holding bins/lockers for detained property ~ hence why to avoid any chance of trouble getting in I acting on a risk aware basis :fingers crossed:

Edit ~ reading the BJP online article and comments just makes the whole matter a quagmire. FWIW I bought the book I mention cheaper via Amazon than LOCOG was selling it for and I will take it with a post-it note flagging the page where it says what is acceptable............​...either that and/or just use the 24-105 and live with what I get with that short a lens.

I also have tickets for rowing. There are tickets for standing room and seating. I think if you have not been given a seating place it is because you are in the standing area? Just a thought.

I intend to take my monopod, despite what the rules say. Locog did also say they would take a practical approach, so I guess I would be testing this. It is a once in a lifetime event for me and as it is my hobby and as long as I'm sensible I hope I will get through the entrance gate. I've been to several pre-olympic events already and did not have any issues.

I could understand if I had a 500mm and if I was in a seating area could be seen as annoying for some, but, in a standing area, like at an airshow, a 500mm is common for the really really keen photogs and are they banned?

Canon 20D, 7D +grip
16-35 F2.8 MKIIL; 10-22mm f3.5-4.5
18-55 F3.5-F5.6 kit lens, 70-200 F2.8 , L; 50mm F1.8 Kenko extension tubes; 430 Flash
Various filters, Diagonal Haoda focus screen, Canon 1.4 extender

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,186 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 18, 2012 18:03 |  #33

Mstar wrote in post #14736571 (external link)
I also have tickets for rowing. There are tickets for standing room and seating. I think if you have not been given a seating place it is because you are in the standing area? Just a thought.

I intend to take my monopod, despite what the rules say. Locog did also say they would take a practical approach, so I guess I would be testing this. It is a once in a lifetime event for me and as it is my hobby and as long as I'm sensible I hope I will get through the entrance gate. I've been to several pre-olympic events already and did not have any issues.

I could understand if I had a 500mm and if I was in a seating area could be seen as annoying for some, but, in a standing area, like at an airshow, a 500mm is common for the really really keen photogs and are they banned?

Hi :)

We have seats ~ I know the stand/block/row/seat numbers but that gives no real indication just where we are. I wanted us to be at least in sight of the finish line so splashed out for "A" seats (the "AA" were IMO silly money for my pocket :( )

Re a monopod ~ on the surmise you have standing (along the lake edge) ticket then you may just get lucky with the X-ray/checker team but I think anything that the X-ray cannot penetrate will be treated as suspect. This is why the lack of definitive guidelines/instruction​s to security personnel about photographic kit/lenses is so very annoying..............​because one thing for sure common sense ain't so common, especially when it comes to "entrance" controllers :lol:

As you say a once in a lifetime event (well it is at my age ;) ) so for all visitors I do hope "they" do take a practical & pragmatic approach but all it takes is one 'jobs worth' to spoil lots of folks lovely day out. I would happily take my 100-400 if I thought I could pass without an issue but sadly I am not so sure!!!

Which day are you going? We are going on finals/last day so really wnat to not only get the atmosphere but some nice finish line action if I can???

Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)

Wendelius
773 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 18, 2012 18:07 |  #34

souporman wrote in post #14736137 (external link)
Hey Wendy, which fencing events are you going to? I've got the finals for mens foil and mens team foil.

I've got tickets to the Men's Sabre rounds and quarter finals. I don't think I've ever seen sabre, so it will be something new. :cool:

souporman wrote in post #14736137 (external link)
I'm not 100% sure on the photo rules, though I did get an email the other day with a pdf link. The pdf mentioned something about a maximum of 30cm for camera gear, but I don't know if that's total length, just the lens or what. I'll post the exact wording tomorrow, but it's not much more specific than that.

That sounds like the same PDF document they sent me and which I linked in my message: http://www.london2012.​com …teditemslists_N​eutral.pdf (external link)

Prohibited items

– More than one soft-sided bag of
25 litre capacity (you must be able
to fit your bag under your seat)

Restricted items

– Large photographic and broadcast
equipment over 30cm in length,
including tripods and monopods.
You cannot use photographic
or broadcast equipment for
commercial purposes unless you
hold media accreditation

It also mentions that:

The prohibited items are different for
Football venues – please check the
Olympic Football venue pages for
more details.

Now what this says to me is that, with a printed version of these rules, I should be OK. There is nothing about not bringing a DSLR. But it's annoying to have to take a gamble with this kind of opportunity...

I'm not sure I would risk a monopod though as it's specifically listed.

Wendy

Wendelius
773 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 18, 2012 18:17 |  #35

Thanks! :)

Yep. That matches what the PDF they sent me as a generic reply said. Although, as you mentioned, there is the whole muddle of LOCOG not wanting to give precise guidelines and telling us that different venues have different rules. Also, a pragmatic approach sounds very much like "at the whim" of security. :confused:

Yeah. I didn't rent the 100-400 because I thought that would be pushing my luck. The 70-300 is "only" 14cm in length retracted.

The 70-300mm is still available for hire at the company I used though, if anyone wants to try a smaller lens: http://www.lensesforhi​re.co.uk …-f4-56-l-is-usm-232-p.asp (external link)

I think I might get that trekker bag just to have as unthreatening a bag as possible. Not sure how big 25L is for a bag... Apparenlty, I suck at volumes. :)

Wendy

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,186 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 18, 2012 18:34 |  #36

The more I think about it on the surmise it is sunny/good light then the 70-200mm f4 plus a 1.4 TC in the jacket pocket may fit the bill...............the​re is the 70-300DO but for image quality is maybe too risky??? The f2.8 if the weather is going to be dull..............but what a weight to hold for >4.5 hours!!!

As for the 70-300mm changing length.......just not sure but certainly a good choice?

A toploader bag looks just perfect...............​agh!!!!! another bag :lol:

Kaben
Cream of the Crop
6,408 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 18, 2012 18:45 |  #37

Just make sure when you get to the inspection gate that your lens is not attached to your camera. That way none of it is individually over 30cm.

I dont see why you cant take a 100-400. When packed up its only 20cm. I highly doubt the people on the gate will know to extend it. Just lock the extension ring down tight and reverse the hood so it covers it up as well.

Rob
My Gear []
My 500px [] (external link) My Flickr [] (external link)
BridgensPhotography.co​.uk (external link)WorldWar2Photography.c​o.uk (external link)
At Least Dreams Are Free

Neal
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 19, 2012 01:30 |  #38

I have Olympic Basketball tickets, so was planning to use the 70-200

Neal EOS 7D, EOS 40D, EOS 650, 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200mm f/4.0 L, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.8 I
website (external link) Flickr (external link) UK SE thread

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 19, 2012 01:55 |  #39

Morning all, just checking in on new thread and must remember to update my sig when I get home.

@Pete thanks for picture of the day :)

Now where are all those spiders ;)

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

Dr ­ D
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2012 02:13 |  #40

Morning chaps. Nice day for the Olympic torch to pass by the window between 9-9:30.

Dennis
5D2 ▪ 17-40L ▪ 24-70L ▪ 35L ▪ 70-200 2.8L
Flickr (external link)5∞px (external link)photosbydenn.is (external link) [Under construction] ▪ urbex.photosbydenn.is (external link)

Wendelius
773 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 19, 2012 03:15 |  #41

Kaben wrote in post #14736824 (external link)
Just make sure when you get to the inspection gate that your lens is not attached to your camera. That way none of it is individually over 30cm.

I dont see why you cant take a 100-400. When packed up its only 20cm. I highly doubt the people on the gate will know to extend it. Just lock the extension ring down tight and reverse the hood so it covers it up as well.

Good tip on locking the extension ring. I'll measure the height of my camera with the lens on it. If worse comes to worse, I'll indeed leave it unattached and put the 40mm on. That will make my 7D look tiny. :)

EDIT: I was also curious about bag volumes and what the toploader bags would come to if I decided to get one.

I went to check the Lowepro site for the dimensions of the Lowepro bags in the category I was considering.

• The Toploader Pro 70 AW (external link) mentioned in the 70-300 review comes to 20.5 X 20.3 X 26.3 cm. That's 10,945 cubic centimetres or 10.945 litres.
  • Its slightly bigger brother, the Toploader Pro 75 AW (external link) comes to 20.3 X 20.3 X 32.5 cm. That's 13,393 cubic centimetres or 13.393 litres.

It seems to me both should pass with flying colours, if you can fit your camera and lens inside.

Wendy

Mstar
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2006

Jul 19, 2012 03:17 |  #42

Box Brownie wrote in post #14736669 (external link)
Hi :)

We have seats ~ I know the stand/block/row/seat numbers but that gives no real indication just where we are. I wanted us to be at least in sight of the finish line so splashed out for "A" seats (the "AA" were IMO silly money for my pocket :( )

Re a monopod ~ on the surmise you have standing (along the lake edge) ticket then you may just get lucky with the X-ray/checker team but I think anything that the X-ray cannot penetrate will be treated as suspect. This is why the lack of definitive guidelines/instruction​s to security personnel about photographic kit/lenses is so very annoying..............​because one thing for sure common sense ain't so common, especially when it comes to "entrance" controllers :lol:

As you say a once in a lifetime event (well it is at my age ;) ) so for all visitors I do hope "they" do take a practical & pragmatic approach but all it takes is one 'jobs worth' to spoil lots of folks lovely day out. I would happily take my 100-400 if I thought I could pass without an issue but sadly I am not so sure!!!

Which day are you going? We are going on finals/last day so really wnat to not only get the atmosphere but some nice finish line action if I can???

I will be in the standing area, among the riff-raff ;) and I've added a map showing where your seating area will be- sure it's a better spot than mine! ;). I will be there on the 1st Aug. 09:30am and I have to park by 7am! I will be watching the men's 8 final, amongst others.

I used my monopod when taking photos during the gymnastics at the O2 and I was seated and it was great.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 20D, 7D +grip
16-35 F2.8 MKIIL; 10-22mm f3.5-4.5
18-55 F3.5-F5.6 kit lens, 70-200 F2.8 , L; 50mm F1.8 Kenko extension tubes; 430 Flash
Various filters, Diagonal Haoda focus screen, Canon 1.4 extender

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,186 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 19, 2012 03:27 |  #43

:lol: :lol: ~ yup that is in its unmodified form the official pfd "maps"...............w​hat I am staggered by is that those stands take 20,000. I have been to Dorney Lake when helping Ian shoot a Triathlon a good while back and even now I find it hard to visualise just how big and extended along the lake (far away from the finish line???) they will be to seat that many people.

As for the parking we got the Park & Ride arranged and like you selected the 7 to 7:30am slot just to get seated by 9:30am...............s​till now looking forward to it :) Amongst others we will see the mens coxless 4's :D

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 19, 2012 03:45 |  #44

Morning all, just seen the torch go by in Sandwich, quite a buzz in town so that was nice.

Then I saw this on Fb which made me laugh:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 19, 2012 04:09 |  #45

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7602402852_8462a76fd2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …egphotography/7​602402852/  (external link)
Olympic Torch Relay-0001 (external link) by mikegreen78 (external link), on Flickr

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

sponsored links

866,748 views & 2 likes for this thread
The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.