Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 21:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading from a 50D

tutwood
96 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 18, 2012 18:46 |  #16

i have both the 7d and 50d and was desperate to try out full frame ,so purchased a 5dc , the 50d has been sat on the shelf since buying the 5dc as folks are saying the af is a bit slower than 50d but it just means you have to anticipate things a little bit quicker . the quality differance between the 50d and 5dc is very noticeable (to me anyway) so much so that all cameras from now on will be full frame.
dont even look at shutter counts it just gives you another headache its immpossable to tell when a shutter will pack in , if it is working when you get it that should be good enough ,it could pack in tommorow or never. i would go 5dc definetaly

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 19, 2012 07:33 |  #17

ALPrasetio wrote in post #14736634 (external link)
Option A: $800 for a 5Dc Gripped around ~15K shutter count

Option B: $1000 for a 5D Mark II gripped with 124k shutter.

Im worried about going with option B for the fact that it's such a high shutter count. I know shutter count is one of those hit and miss type of deal so I was just wondering how much would I be spending on a replacement shutter if it were to die.

And with option A, I would probably try to go with a 50/1.4 and sell my clumsy 50/1.8, so around the same ballpark for both options.

On option A, you're getting a camera that's capable of great frames but lacks live view, video and microfocus adjustment. Since the pixels are quite big, MFA is probably not really needed for most lenses.

On option B, it's a high-miler but that doesn't mean the shutters going to fail tomorrow. The thing about heavily used cameras is that everything has been heavily used... buttons, knobs, lens connections and of course the shutter can fail. Replacement of the shutter typically costs $350. You get live view, video, MFA and considerably better low light performance. This camera also works really well if you want to use manual focusing through live view and a loupe. Battery life is ~800 frames with the lcd disabled and ~150-200 frames using live view.

You should be aware that the autofocus of the 5D2 is the same as the system on the 5D and is at least a generation older than you experienced on the 50D. It is usable but it's not that great.

One the EF 50/1.4... Optically, it's a decent lens but mechanically it's fragile. They are fine if treated carefully (in particular retract the lens before putting it away). I had one for years without difficulty but I'd be awfully cautious about a used one.

The Sigma 50/1.4 can be had for very little more - provided it's properly calibrated it's a better lens all around and competes with the 50L in image quality.

With your available budget, I'd go for the 5D classic and a 50/1.4 - preferably the Sigma.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 19, 2012 07:40 |  #18

I went from a 50D to a 5D2 and a 1D3. the 1D is great when I need really fast and accurate focus. The 5d is great for everything else. Given the three sample photos that you posted, I think the 5D would be perfect for you. No challenging focus situations, but the photos would really benefit from the full frame goodness. Think of it this way: the bigger the sensor is, the less evident the lens quality is, because you're using more of the lens, rather than just the center part. That being said, the best way to improve your photography is going to be to pony up on lenses rather than a different camera body. The best combination for the photos you posted would have been a 5D and a 35L, which you could find for about $2,000 if you looked. I don't know what other types of stuff you shoot because you didn't post anything else. If you need some extra reach, save up for a 70-200 or the 100-400.

Just my $.02.

ALPrasetio
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 19, 2012 11:32 |  #19

I pretty much shoot portraits, general life, and occasional parties and events so I think the full frame is nice in that aspect. The 35L is a dream lens for me and I'm saving for that after I get my body. And I didn't want to bombard the thread with my pictures haha.

@noisejammer: I've heard that the sigma is better granted you're one of the few that has a good copy. I hear more often tha I would like about people having focusing problem in more than one copy tht they've tried. Reluctant I purchase it just because of the hassle I'll have to go through if I do get a bad copy.

I love this forum. People are ridiculously helpful. I'm gonna go with option A and I'm gonna try to hunt for both 50mm and try them (used of course), if anyone is selling , feel free to PM me!

5Dc Gripped|Sigma 50mm 1.4 |430 EXII

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 19, 2012 12:51 |  #20

get the canon. it's awesome.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,555 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading from a 50D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.