Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Jul 2012 (Friday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Possibly New Device for Time Lapse Captures

lerroy
414 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 23, 2012 22:43 |  #46

it probably just adjusts the exposure time in Bulb mode. is my guess

JLB Photography Website (external link)
5D MKII / 5D MKIII - 17-40L - 85 1.2 L - 50 1.2 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 100 L 2.8 Macro - 24-70 2.8L - Samyung 14mm 2.8 - 300mm F4 L

sponsored links
takai
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 24, 2012 00:34 |  #47

It works because the Radian itself has a microprocessor in it which triggers the camera, so you can disconnect your phone.

Bulb ramping means that they have implemented the feedback loop back to the Radian from the camera via the PC port, and hence can know how long the shutter was exactly open for.

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 24, 2012 07:16 |  #48

takai wrote in post #14760664 (external link)
Bulb ramping means that they have implemented the feedback loop back to the Radian from the camera via the PC port, and hence can know how long the shutter was exactly open for.

This is the way it should be done. But based on the specs for the Radian, it does not seem to have a second port to receive the feedback loop.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

takai
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 24, 2012 18:32 |  #49

However it does specify that its Canon only bulb ramping at the moment, and the Nikon PC port is traditionally the big limitation of bulb ramping on the Nikons.

Edit: just asked the question ont he Kickstarter as im a backer.

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 24, 2012 18:41 |  #50

If this device can really replace the Little Bramper, and add movement, that would be a good thing.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

fitshaced
442 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 25, 2012 05:49 |  #51

I've watched the video a few times now and the video just isnt as smooth as I've seen from other time lapse devices such as the dynamic perception stage zero.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/picsbykev/ (external link)

kndguy
113 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 25, 2012 13:24 |  #52

That was awesome! Thank you for the share!

Do what you like, like what you do.

sullivanrp
309 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 25, 2012 13:31 |  #53

fitshaced wrote in post #14766493 (external link)
I've watched the video a few times now and the video just isnt as smooth as I've seen from other time lapse devices such as the dynamic perception stage zero.

The dynamic perception dolly is linear motion, though, not a pan/tilt. Ya, merlin heads are used on it, but that would be the equivalent of a radian if I'm not mistaken.
When combining it with the dynamic perception the results looked good to me... see 2:45 or so during the video, the second shot, the yosemite shot, looked great.

Freelance Photographer focusing on Sports - Currently located in Spokane, WA.
Website (external link)
500px (external link)

takai
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2012 20:30 |  #54

Heath wrote in post #14761348 (external link)
This is the way it should be done. But based on the specs for the Radian, it does not seem to have a second port to receive the feedback loop.

Got a response on Kickstarter:

@Chris There won't be any feedback via a PC port - we are still building out our bulb-ramping features and testing with various brands, and knew Nikon was a huge issue, and did not want to immediately support it. We'll have more information on the bramping features soon!

Pity, will see how it goes. Its certainly not a deal breaker for me though.

wendyc
Goldmember
1,392 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 11, 2012 17:25 as a reply to  @ takai's post |  #55

Another option coming from New Zealand :) http://syrp.co.nz/ (external link)

http://www.kickstarter​.com …control-time-lapse-device (external link)

www.wendycainphotograp​hy.com (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …3235&posted=1#p​ost4633235

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 11, 2012 17:36 |  #56

I think bulb ramping needs to be fixed by Nikon only, correct me if I'm wrong.

fitshaced
442 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 13, 2012 02:35 |  #57

Obviously more expensive than the other two mentioned on this thread but more flexible in what you can do with it. What I especially like is that you can make some disposable rails for whatever the scene requires and the genie will fit to it. I think this is the better one to invest in if you have the money.

takai
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 13, 2012 02:37 |  #58

Genie is long gone though, and over five times the price of the Radian.

fitshaced
442 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 13, 2012 04:35 |  #59

Yes but it really depends on how much you want to experiment with time lapse. This one gives more options than the radian, astro and dynamic perception combined.

lerroy
414 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 13, 2012 05:30 |  #60

fitshaced wrote in post #14851292 (external link)
Yes but it really depends on how much you want to experiment with time lapse. This one gives more options than the radian, astro and dynamic perception combined.

when I looked at the genie it could do pan and linear but could not do at the same time

so not really better than dp and Radian that could do 3 axis and it weighs 1.4kg and bulky

for the price I would much rather get a emotimo or stick with radian and dp

JLB Photography Website (external link)
5D MKII / 5D MKIII - 17-40L - 85 1.2 L - 50 1.2 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 100 L 2.8 Macro - 24-70 2.8L - Samyung 14mm 2.8 - 300mm F4 L

sponsored links

16,583 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Possibly New Device for Time Lapse Captures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.