Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jul 2012 (Friday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The "minimalist" look - yay or nay?

MrNothing
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 20, 2012 17:44 |  #1

1 body, 1 lens.

I'm considering going for this look because as much as I know having 2 bodies and a few lenses would be better in any situation and wouldn't back fire on me, concentrating on one focal length would probably help me achieve better shots. I guess part of it also has to do with inspiration from film where the common lens would be a 35mm or 50mm. The 24-70 is probably the golden standard (imo) in today's digital photoj, but I also feel the lens like that cannot replicate the feel and look that prime lenses do. I think .....

What do you guys think? any experience with this type of setup?

Thanks!

edit - I should note that I'm in school for photoj so there is a variety of work I do.

sponsored links
Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 20, 2012 17:47 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

What in the world do you shoot?

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

MrNothing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 20, 2012 17:49 |  #3

Eight_Blade wrote in post #14746448 (external link)
What in the world do you shoot?

sorry for not noting!

I'm currently in school for photo journalism. Basically the work varies.

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 20, 2012 17:51 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

24-70 or 70-200 IMO, like me!

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 20, 2012 18:01 |  #5

From June 1977 until March this year, I've toted an SLR / FF DSLR in my shoulder bag, all day, every day. The lens had to be compact, so either 50mm or 28mm. Sometimes with a flash gun; mostly not. Now, I'm old and/or lazy, so it's currently a G10 and 270EX.

~ Wallace
Gear List

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 20, 2012 19:11 |  #6

I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. In fact, I would think that it would force you to think about your composition more. Take a step back and think about it instead of just zooming in and firing off. :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 20, 2012 19:16 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #7

There is definitely something to be said for a single lens. If youre into it, go for it. its not going to cost you anything.

My Flickr (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,254 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 20, 2012 19:24 as a reply to  @ jhayesvw's post |  #8

Pretty much just use a 50mm. About four weeks out of the year, I'll fool around with a 35mm, otherwise, happy with the 50mm.

August 2020-August 2021 (external link)
Today's Lesson: A rangefinder is not a DSLR and vice versa.

tomj
677 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 20, 2012 19:26 |  #9

My "walking around" camera is frequently an XT with a 28mm lens - not for a "look", but because it's compact, and I'm lazy. That said, I think it's worth doing if for no other reason than as an exercise in seeing and composition. Many of the great photographers from the so-called "golden-age" of photojournalism - Life magazine and all that - used a single lens (prime, this was before zooms), either normal (50mm on a 35mm camera) or wide angle, for evertything.

Flickr (external link)

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 20, 2012 19:32 |  #10

I don't think it's a "look", unless you're trying to be hipster. In that case, you may as well change your camera to a Diana with the flash bowl.

But, in any case, I agree with tomj. Lots of photojournalists did their thing with a single lens and the "f8 and be there" rule.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 20, 2012 21:16 |  #11

I shot photojournalism for a variety of newspapers and magazines for a few years after I graduated college.

My pj kit was essentially the same thing I carry today. Camera and back up, 24L, 50f1.4, 85f1.8, 70-200 and a 580ex and Vivitar 285HV. The newspaper also had a gear locker that I was able to borrow lenses from.

Your choice of lenses is a very personal choice. I preferred shooting with my prime lenses. I knew other people at the paper that only carried the 16-35, 24-27, and 70-200 plus a couple of 580s.Part of the decision comes from what type of style you want to have, and part of it will come from what type of assignments your editor gives you.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 20, 2012 23:07 |  #12

BrickR wrote in post #14746750 (external link)
I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. In fact, I would think that it would force you to think about your composition more. Take a step back and think about it instead of just zooming in and firing off. :)

Why do folks think that zoom guys (or gals) don't think at all and just fire off. :D

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 20, 2012 23:15 |  #13

MrNothing wrote in post #14746434 (external link)
1 body, 1 lens.

I'm considering going for this look because as much as I know having 2 bodies and a few lenses would be better in any situation and wouldn't back fire on me, concentrating on one focal length would probably help me achieve better shots. I guess part of it also has to do with inspiration from film where the common lens would be a 35mm or 50mm. The 24-70 is probably the golden standard (imo) in today's digital photoj, but I also feel the lens like that cannot replicate the feel and look that prime lenses do. I think .....

What do you guys think? any experience with this type of setup?

Thanks!

edit - I should note that I'm in school for photoj so there is a variety of work I do.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on the shooting situation, really. If you have time to move around, take your time, etc, then sure a prime may force you to "work it out" until it's right. But if you're trying to cover any sort of event/action where you have just one chance at getting the shot, you may not have time to get closer or further away to frame the shot perfectly. So in those situations a zoom will help.

I recently took the family to Disney World in Orlando. I took a lot of gear, but most days I had the 5D II with the 24-105mm and the EOS 3 (film camera) with the Voigtlander 40mm in a small bag. I shot over 1,000 photos on the 5D II. Some were multiple shots of the same scene trying to get better framing at times. I only shot one roll of 36 exposures on transparency (slide) film with the EOS 3/40mm. With the film camera/prime, I found that either the shot was going to work or it wasn't. Sometimes I didn't bother with it because I could not get physically close enough to make pressing the shutter worth while. Other times the problem was the ISO 100 being a limiting factor (I'll try out some ISO 400 once I'm through my stock of 100 rolls). But yet I find a little more emotional attachment to shots from the EOS 3/40mm combo. Now if I were not with the family (wife and 4 young kids), it would have been more fun from a photography perspective to only use the EOS 3 with the 40mm and 85mm (and probably would have purchased the 28mm f1.8 too). But trying to shoot while paying attention to the kids and sometimes taking a quick shot while walking to the next destination by quickly stopping and snapping, the 24-105mm and adjustable ISO on the 5D II came in handy.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

MrNothing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 21, 2012 01:29 |  #14

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Paolo.Leviste wrote in post #14746825 (external link)
I don't think it's a "look", unless you're trying to be hipster. In that case, you may as well change your camera to a Diana with the flash bowl.

But, in any case, I agree with tomj. Lots of photojournalists did their thing with a single lens and the "f8 and be there" rule.

bad wording on my part! definitely not intended to be for looks. might as well carry a toy camera if i wanted to pull off a hipster look :)

Bumgardnern wrote in post #14747212 (external link)
I shot photojournalism for a variety of newspapers and magazines for a few years after I graduated college.

My pj kit was essentially the same thing I carry today. Camera and back up, 24L, 50f1.4, 85f1.8, 70-200 and a 580ex and Vivitar 285HV. The newspaper also had a gear locker that I was able to borrow lenses from.

Your choice of lenses is a very personal choice. I preferred shooting with my prime lenses. I knew other people at the paper that only carried the 16-35, 24-27, and 70-200 plus a couple of 580s.Part of the decision comes from what type of style you want to have, and part of it will come from what type of assignments your editor gives you.

I've also noticed that while many still do use zoom lenses, there are also probably just as much pj's using prime lenses only. Good to know it works out well for others!

sjones wrote in post #14746795 (external link)
Pretty much just use a 50mm. About four weeks out of the year, I'll fool around with a 35mm, otherwise, happy with the 50mm.

I'm having a mental battle between the 35 L and 50 L :D I've tried both lenses on my 1D3 and darn, it would take me quite some time to come down to one decision!

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 21, 2012 07:18 |  #15

Being a photojournalist - as you state- don't you think that you would be cutting your own throat by limiting your equipment to 1 body 1 lens ? That's akin to a mechanic saying that he will work on your car using just a 5/8" wrench. Lenses are tools, just like a 5/8" wrench. If the job calls for a 7/8" wrench, would you still insist upon using the 5/8" ?

There is value in varying your experience; Long time ago- sitting in a very long diesel engine course. We had months of training, months of exercises intended to get us into the guts of the engine. The course sheets were pretty specific- and counted lightly to the grade- with the final exam counting extremely heavy. Some took the exercises lightly, followed them to the letter, and learned the very basics- and that was it. I routinely took each and, well, saw what happened when I did this or that - often intentionally sabotaging my results- in order to learn what if it's not so clean or not already in perfect working order. Came final exam time- those that followed the exercises precisely- had troubles- because the instructors threw in monkey wrenches to screw them up. I more or less aced it- why- because I was already used to the monkey wrenches...

Your education is similar; learn with one tool- and that's all you know. Vary it- learn with more tools at your disposal- and learn each - the in's and out's- and you will be more rounded!

One more thing: At the time, I worked on Gas Turbines mostly. Most of the class was actively working on diesels only. They were upset because the turbine guy managed to get the high score for the class- while screwing up most of the practical exercises- yet managed the highest score in the final exams ( and the final score overall ). Some of these guys had 5 to 10 years practical experience in the field at lower levels- almost all exclusively on Diesels.. Go figure.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

sponsored links

4,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
The "minimalist" look - yay or nay?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.