Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 16 Dec 2005 (Friday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sunflower

Mattyj
73 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 16, 2005 14:47 |  #1

This is my very first time posting a picture..I hope I do it right! :o

I took this using my Canon Powersot G2 a couple of months ago. Yesterday I got a 20D! I can't wait to start using it!!

I am posting this picture because I sold my very first print today...someone purchased this shot in a 16x20! I only wish I hadn't cut off the very tips of the top petals... There was no post-processing on this (well, except sticking my name on there).

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i2.photobucket.​com …y36/Mattyj9/sun​flower.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon 20D
EFS 18-55mm
75-300mm
430EX

sponsored links
Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 16, 2005 15:02 |  #2

That is one fan-tas-tic shot! How did you get such a deep blue sky - surely there was some playing around in PS in order to get that?

The composition is excellent. That foreground leaf looks so real - it's as you can reach out an grab it separately. The lighting on that leaf is what does it. Either you spent a lot of time composing that shot, or you got awfully lucky !

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

cholmes75
148 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 16, 2005 15:05 |  #3

Excellent shot!

The Gear
Canon Rebel X Si
Photoshop CS4 and lots of luck!
The Site (external link)

Mattyj
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 16, 2005 17:25 as a reply to  @ cholmes75's post |  #4

Thank you so much for the nice comments! I did get a little bit lucky with this shot - it was hand held standing on the railing of my deck. :) It took about 15 shots to get the effect I wanted...but I finally did.

I didn't PS it at all. The sky is often that deep blue color here in the fall time. I have a similar picture of fall leaves that I'll try to post soon - it shows the same bright blue sky.

thanks again! :D

Canon 20D
EFS 18-55mm
75-300mm
430EX

dancinec
Cream of the Crop
8,035 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 16, 2005 17:27 |  #5

Welcome to the forum and an excellent start this is. Nicely done in your framing and focus. Keep on sharing your captures.

Dennis
Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, Canon 100 mm Macro, Canon 100-400mm, Canon 400mm 5.6L, Canon TC 1.4X, Tamron 28-75 mm, Bogen 3221 Tripod, Kirk BH-1 ballhead, Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash, Canon 580 II Flash, Better Beamers, Whimberly Plamp.
My galleries (external link)

KaplanMultimedia
Goldmember
2,775 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 16, 2005 17:42 as a reply to  @ dancinec's post |  #6

Nice capture. The image seems to have a 3D quality to it. I think a lot of that has to do with the angle you used as opposed to shooting it head on. Thanks for posting, I'll be looking for more. :D

EOS 5D MIII - EOS 7D - 70-200 f2.8L IS - EF 1.4X - [COLOR=#333333]24-105mm f/4L IS - Bowens Gemini 400 2-Light Kit - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens - Tokina 11-16 f2.8mm - (2) Canon 580EX flashes

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 16, 2005 20:26 |  #7

Matty - beautiful shot. I really like the light shining thru the frontmost leaf, captured from the underside. It looks like it's glowing. Colors and crispness are excellent. welcome to the forum.

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

Mattyj
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 16, 2005 20:40 as a reply to  @ DavidEB's post |  #8

Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome and all your compliments! I was nervous about posting my first shot - you all made me feel very good! :)

Canon 20D
EFS 18-55mm
75-300mm
430EX

HJMinard
Goldmember
2,319 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 16, 2005 20:49 |  #9

Very nice. Sharp, with excellent colors.

~ Jay ~
Canon EOS 20D ... lenses and stuff
Without the Way, there is no going; Without the Truth, there is no knowing; Without the Life, there is no living. <><
Help remove children from poverty: Compassion (external link)

sponsored links

1,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sunflower
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.