Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 23 Jul 2012 (Monday) 10:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First attempt at swimming

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2012 10:14 |  #1

Here are some shots from the Swimming Canada Summer Nationals that finished up yesterday. C&C welcome! :D

I could not wrap my head around how to identify the swimmers since none of the results or meet guides mentioned any lane numbers (unless I just missed them). Can anyone chime in there?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Joel

sponsored links
Voaky999
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Gallery: 763 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 23, 2012 11:14 |  #2

Boy Joel, those are really nice. I have no idea about the protocol for swim meets. What lens were you using?

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2012 11:31 |  #3

^ Thanks Don, I was shooting as accredited media so I had poolside access. I'll post the link to the story when it's up. There were two other photographers, one was shooting for Swimming Canada and one for the host club.

Combo for the day was a (borrowed) 60D + 80-200/2.8. It sure handles nicer than my T3i!

Joel

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 23, 2012 11:53 |  #4

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14757007 (external link)
^ Thanks Don, I was shooting as accredited media so I had poolside access. I'll post the link to the story when it's up. There were two other photographers, one was shooting for Swimming Canada and one for the host club.

Combo for the day was a (borrowed) 60D + 80-200/2.8. It sure handles nicer than my T3i!

Great that you had access, you really need to get low to capture swimming effectively. My crystal ball is showing a body upgrade in your future.

Don

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2012 13:22 |  #5

Voaky999 wrote in post #14757114 (external link)
My crystal ball is showing a body upgrade in your future.

Not if the wife has anything to say about it..! :p

Article is here (external link).

Joel

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,804 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 23, 2012 17:56 |  #6

same here :(

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 23, 2012 18:58 |  #7

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14757604 (external link)
Not if the wife has anything to say about it..! :p

Article is here (external link).

burnet44 wrote in post #14758993 (external link)
same here :(

One of those little known advantages to being divorced.

Don

dogface
153 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 23, 2012 20:23 |  #8

I shoot a lot of outdoor swimming in the summer (something like 2500-3000 shots in a four-hour meet). Here are some of my hints:

1. Rapid fire (duh).
2. Shoot in aperture mode selecting the depth of field to give you just the focus (depth of field) you need. This will automatically use the highest possible shutter speed better freezing the action.
3. Any of my Canon bodies (5D, 40D, 7D) shooting when there is shady over the pool always come out with a cool white balance (and sometimes when it's cloudy) . I usually have to adjust these manually.
4. Similar, when shady or overcast, auto-exposure usually underexposes (I usually over expose by 1/3 or 2/3).
5. Shoot in raw mode so white balance or exposure issues aren't as much an issue.
6. Shooting swimmers in water is often a back-lit scenario. Again, shoot in raw mode so you can use shadow-highlight adjustment to correct exposure issues. The exposure brush in Lightroom 4 is very useful for this.

A bunch of stuff.

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 23, 2012 20:57 as a reply to  @ dogface's post |  #9

The one time I shoot swimmers (on media assignment) I only shot the one in the center lane and then the one to the right. One of the two of them usually won the heat because they were the top seeds and by staying disciplined, I could back track through the program.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

dogface
153 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 23, 2012 20:59 as a reply to  @ Voaky999's post |  #10

You have image editing OK on so here's an example of bumping up shadows to compensate for the back lighting. Because the face was so dark, bumping up the shadows makes the face look rather pale. I used the exposure brush on it to adjust the color balance to warm it up and bumping up the saturation enough to blend in.

Edited

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A bunch of stuff.

p3av8or
226 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 24, 2012 07:14 |  #11

Did anyone answer your original question?? At a swim meet, you need to ask for a "heat sheet". At least that is the way they do it for youth athletics. It will list Event, Heat, and Lane assignments.

BTW, I agree with most of dogface's input. I shoot on Manual, though. In Av or Tv, the camera will still try to compensate for the harsh reflections and underexpose a lot of shots. Meter to the right while the water is still, then shoot. You will blow out a few highlights, but the athlete should be really close. For HS age swimmers, I shoot about 1/500th at f/4, then adjust ISO for exposure.

Another tip... reduce the sensitivity of your autofocus and use back button focus. Otherwise, the autofocus will shift on a splash as the swimmer moves. Catch the top of the cap as they rise, and fire away!!

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude." John Wayne, (Rio Bravo)
Lot's o' Canon gear with a couple Sigma lenses to boot
Oly EM5 Mk II and EM1 mk II and a handful of lenses.
www.tweddlephoto.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …raphy-LLC/211181952284213 (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 24, 2012 09:33 as a reply to  @ p3av8or's post |  #12

Dogface - Appreciate the input and the example edit, I will definitely keep that in mind for the future!

TheBrick3 - So those lanes are reserved for the top two seeds?

p3av8or - Got it, "heat sheet" will be on my checklist next time! I was shooting in manual and noticed in post that I needed to bump exposure about 1/3 of a stop. I was using BBF, but I have to try that tip about locking onto their cap, I was trying to lock onto their face but as you already know half the time there's water in the way...

Thanks everyone! :D

Joel

p3av8or
226 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 25, 2012 10:59 |  #13

The seeds are from the inside out, with the top two swimmers in the middle lane. Slowest swimmers are in the outside lanes. You may also hear of a "Psych Sheet". This is the list of competitors seeded from 1st to last, NOT their lanes.

The majority of the fundraising from our local meets comes from the heat sheet sales. Throw them some love in the form of a collage or a couple of poster size prints of athlete's(release signed, of course) and you would be surprised of the access you can get to the pool!! Also, officials cannot cheer for their children. You may want to offer to photograph their athlete gratis. Sucks to have to work when your child competes, eh?

Keep up the good work!

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude." John Wayne, (Rio Bravo)
Lot's o' Canon gear with a couple Sigma lenses to boot
Oly EM5 Mk II and EM1 mk II and a handful of lenses.
www.tweddlephoto.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …raphy-LLC/211181952284213 (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 25, 2012 15:43 |  #14

Thanks, I'll keep my eye on those middle lanes the next time! Appreciate all the other tidbits too. :)

p3av8or wrote in post #14767579 (external link)
Sucks to have to work when your child competes, eh?

One of the other photogs there has a son who competes and it sounds like he got roped in that way..!

Joel

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 26, 2012 14:02 |  #15

I think you did really well, first attempt or not. Very nice.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links

5,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
First attempt at swimming
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.