Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Jul 2012 (Monday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CF to SD adapters?

lvph2
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 23, 2012 10:54 |  #1

Are there any good ones out there to make it worth using? SD's are so cheap compared to CF, and I have a couple already. Or, I need to upgrade to at least 2 16GB CF cards for my 5DII.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

sponsored links
maatt
241 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 23, 2012 11:13 |  #2

I may be searching something wrong, but are there even adapters to turn CF into SD? You're looking at about double/triple the size of a SD. No way that CF is fitting anywhere.

Now if you're talking about SD to CF, that's a different story.

e=mc ** 2

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 23, 2012 11:23 |  #3

Sorry. Wrote that back wards. But yes. SD into a CF adapter.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 23, 2012 11:27 |  #4

I tested performance of SD cards in CF adapters vs. comparable CF cards. My advice - get the CF cards unless you're using an SD slot. The adapters mean a performance hit.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 23, 2012 11:32 |  #5

Jon wrote in post #14756989 (external link)
I tested performance of SD cards in CF adapters vs. comparable CF cards. My advice - get the CF cards unless you're using an SD slot. The adapters mean a performance hit.

I use an internal card reader on my desktop computer. Quad Core computer, overclocked, etc, etc. So, the adapter would only be for my camera and not when dumping images to the computer.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 23, 2012 11:41 |  #6

Yeah - but are you willing to sacrifice speed in the camera? A slow card combination can back up a 5D2 pretty well even if you aren't shooting in "Continuous" mode.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 23, 2012 11:49 |  #7

Jon wrote in post #14757053 (external link)
Yeah - but are you willing to sacrifice speed in the camera? A slow card combination can back up a 5D2 pretty well even if you aren't shooting in "Continuous" mode.

Ahh yes. No way, that would drive me nuts. Guess I will suck it up and get CF cards then. Time to find some deals! lol

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8

cdo221
560 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 23, 2012 12:24 |  #8

CF cards are better - for me I choose CF cards because they are easier to handle in bad climates (cold weather, gloves etc.) just because they are physically bigger. Also, if you're using 1 adapter - say you spill water on it, drop it down the stairs whatever - it breaks - you can't use any of your SD cards anymore. Drop 1 CF card, the rest still work fine.

All that being said I still own and use 2 SD to CF adapters. I have some cameras that still use SD cards and it's nice to be able to use the SD cards in a pinch. I recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com …er-Supports/dp/B000YZGCIU (external link)
Worked great on my old 7D, works great on my 5D2 right now, fails to work consistently on my 5D classic. 1080p video works sometimes - I think it depends on the SD card speed.

I personally shoot lots of portraits and landscapes - I average less than 1 shot per second. At most, I do a quick 5-10 shot burst for a jumping-portrait or other 'action-y' portrait shot. The SD to CF adapter never slowed me down.

You have to understand that the 5D2 has a 13 raw-file buffer, that is, the camera itself is can hold up to 13 raw files while writing to the memory card. The memory card will only be the bottle neck if you are doing bursts that end up with the 5D2 trying to hold more than 13 raw files. At that point, you will be waiting for the 13 raw files to write onto the memory card. Also, another thing is that the camera is constantly writing when something is in the buffer. So in the 2-3 seconds you take to shoot 13 raws, it's already clearing the buffer. So by the time you hit that 13th shot, you might have cleared enough space for 2 more shots, so your effective buffer is closer to 15 raws before the memory card bottle neck.

I think it's worth it to invest into at least 1 SD to CF adapter if you do have the SD memory and plan to keep it - CFs would still be your most optimal choice either way though. If you ever have a point and shoot, or even if you just go on a vacation and family/friends are using SD cards, it's worth it to pack an adapter just in case.

At the very least, the adapter will hold you over until you can find a good deal on CF cards.

Feedback and Gear

maatt
241 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 23, 2012 18:30 |  #9

Valencia Photography wrote in post #14757098 (external link)
Ahh yes. No way, that would drive me nuts. Guess I will suck it up and get CF cards then. Time to find some deals! lol

I tend to see Amazon is usually the cheapest for these, especially with free 2-day shipping. But I have a Sandisk Ultra 8GB SDHC if you'd like. :D

e=mc ** 2

sponsored links

1,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
CF to SD adapters?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.