Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Exposure Compensation, Camera vs Flash

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 25, 2012 13:15 |  #1

Can FEC be controlled via the camera even though a flash may not come with that feature?

I mean, is FEC on a flash just a convenience in allowing you to quickly change settings versus having to go into the camera menu?

Ex) Yongnuo yn465 vs yn467 (external link)

Thanks,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 25, 2012 13:21 |  #2

FEC can be controlled on your 40D and probably your 20D without going into the camera menu, if you are using a Canon flash. I don't believe it works with the Yongnuo, but I don't own one and someone here may prove me wrong.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 25, 2012 13:46 |  #3

whuband wrote in post #14768182 (external link)
FEC can be controlled on your 40D and probably your 20D without going into the camera menu, if you are using a Canon flash. I don't believe it works with the Yongnuo, but I don't own one and someone here may prove me wrong.

Yes, I know you can hit the top ISO/flash button and then adjust the FEC.

The question is whether the camera's FEC is a feature of the camera itself and therefore capable of controlling the flash output on any compatible canon flash, irrespective of whether the flash has FEC itself?

Thanks,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

ceremus
266 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 25, 2012 14:04 |  #4

With ETTL the metering is coming from the camera in the same way ambient light is metered, so as long as ETTL communication is supported through the flash I would assume the FEC is handled the same way, through the camera's metering sensor with whatever bias happens to be set.

Though I don't have anything at the moment to back that up...

My flickriver (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 25, 2012 14:07 |  #5

Ralph III wrote in post #14768296 (external link)
The question is whether the camera's FEC is a feature of the camera itself and therefore capable of controlling the flash output on any compatible canon flash, irrespective of whether the flash has FEC itself?

The answer is yes.

Flash Exposure Compensation set on the camera will work on any E-TTL compatible flash unit.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 25, 2012 15:51 |  #6

Curtis N wrote in post #14768378 (external link)
The answer is yes.

Flash Exposure Compensation set on the camera will work on any E-TTL compatible flash unit.

Thanks Curtis. That's what I wanted to know. I'm considering a Canon compatible ettl flash but the flash itself doesn't have FEC buttons for quick adjustments on the flash itself. Just as long as I can use the camera for such then no problem.

God Bless

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

sponsored links

1,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Exposure Compensation, Camera vs Flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.