Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 11:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

From crop to full frame. Did you keep your crop?

Rabid
78 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 26, 2012 11:53 |  #1

Enough of the logic, mathmatical and physics arguments when discussing crop vs. full frame. Bottom line. Did you keep your crop when you moved to FF? Why or why not?

I have 4 areas of interest with photography; landscapes, night shots, macro and birding. Birding is the reason I am thinking about keeping my T2i but I have not had my 5Diii long enough to know for sure. Next on my list is a 100-400L and a 1.4x for the 5Diii, but I keep thinking it would be even better on my T2i.

So for me, yes for now but not sure for how long. I have to see how the improved focus and other features of the 5Diii play into the equation.

If you want my expert opinion ask me about synthesizers. If you want my professional opinion ask me about computers. If you want an amateurish but enthusiastic opinion ask me about cameras.

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 26, 2012 11:58 |  #2

Yes for me. Interests are landscapes and architectural.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

mesodan
407 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 26, 2012 11:59 |  #3

Yes:). Kept the 7D for sports and wildlife.

5DIV | 16-35L f2.8 III | 24L II | 35L II | 50L | 85L II | 70-200L II | 300L II IS | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II
www.dsw-photo.com (external link)

job10
101 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 26, 2012 12:16 as a reply to  @ mesodan's post |  #4

Bought a 5D2 late last year - love it - but still have my 40D and still use it. I like the faster fps for sports shots.

5D2|40D|17-40L|24-70L|70-200L II|100-400L| more vintage cameras than I care to count

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 26, 2012 12:18 |  #5

I have 3 croppers and one full frame.

Gear List

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,663 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 26, 2012 12:20 |  #6

Use the 7D for sports and wildlife and the 5d for everything else.
BTW the 100-400 will probably not AF with a 1.4 TC as its F8 ,check it before you buy

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 26, 2012 12:21 |  #7

Yes, I have an APS-C (well actually 2), APS-H, and FF body

They all have their place and strengths

My main interests are birding and landscape/travel.

Aside:
Also, unless you already own the 1.4x, or also have a 70-200 it will work with, I wouldn't bother getting it. Make sure you realize it will not AF on either of your bodies with the 100-400 (unless you buy a third party TC and use the "tape trick" in which case the AF will work, but very slow/poorly).

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2012 12:28 |  #8

I had a 5D2 and 7D combo that I sold to get a 5D3 and was quite happy with it. I did find I missed having a second body so I decided to get a 60D for backup, the crop factor was a main element in the decision. I didn't want to limit myself to FF only on both bodies.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 26, 2012 12:50 |  #9

Yes… sort of…

At the time I was certain I didn't want my crop anymore because the "new" (used) camera was a big expense for me, and it was so much better that I'd never want anything else. So I sold it to a friend.

Afterward I regretted selling my old camera because it was nice to have a smaller, lighter body for casual use. I also realized I should have a backup. I am mostly a hobbyist but I get talked into doing a couple weddings a year for friends and I just can't do that without backup equipment, even if they aren't paying much.

So even though I didn't end up keeping my original camera, I did pick up a newer Rebel on Craigslist to replace it. I am glad I did, because even when I don't strictly "need" two cameras, if I'm going on a day trip it's handy to be able to toss both of them in the car with different lenses mounted and grab one or the other without swapping lenses all the time.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2012 12:50 |  #10

Why does everyone assume that immediately after buying a ff camera that your crop bodies are suddenly crap? Silliest notion I've seen all too often on these forums.

The 5D3 isn't so much better just because it's a FF camera, its that much better because of the improvements Canon has made to the AF system, Digic processing computers, and just general sensor quality in general. Put it against a 1D4 and you'll find pretty equal performance......diffe​rences in IQ will be, IMO, mainly subjective.

Horses for courses.....FF is not the holy grail, simply another tool to be used as appropriate.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 26, 2012 12:54 |  #11

No. I have kept my last film camera, the Eos-3 and my current 5D2. My crop 30D went in part excghange for the 5D2.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 26, 2012 13:03 |  #12

DennisW1 wrote in post #14773106 (external link)
Why does everyone assume that immediately after buying a ff camera that your crop bodies are suddenly crap? Silliest notion I've seen all too often on these forums.

The 5D3 isn't so much better just because it's a FF camera, its that much better because of the improvements Canon has made to the AF system, Digic processing computers, and just general sensor quality in general. Put it against a 1D4 and you'll find pretty equal performance......diffe​rences in IQ will be, IMO, mainly subjective.

Horses for courses.....FF is not the holy grail, simply another tool to be used as appropriate.

Indeed.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,912 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2012 13:06 |  #13

Yes.

Had 40D, then added 7D, then added 5DII, sold 7D to fund 5DIII.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2012 13:15 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Yep. I dumped mine.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 26, 2012 13:20 |  #15

I had sold my 5d3 to go to a 7d/5D2 setup (plus some pocket filler). I found that I preferred to have 2 crop bodies based on the amount of wildlife I do. Guess I really only need one body, but like the idea of a backup.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

sponsored links

7,685 views & 0 likes for this thread
From crop to full frame. Did you keep your crop?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.