Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help...No AF when 1/2 pressing shutter..?

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 28, 2012 11:42 |  #1

Hello everyone, I just got an immaculate pre-owned 5DMarkII camera and an immaculate pre-owned 24-105/4L lens acquired from respectable members of this forum. Before I return one or the other, or both I would like your help identifying whether this is a problem of the camera, lens, or mine. I have followed all the instructions in the manual and still does not work, so I am taking myself out of the problem. The problem is:

When focusing in a mode other than full automatic (e.g., AV, TV and even M) the camera should focus ONCE as the manual says but IT DOES NOT. Even in MF, I focus by eye and I do not get confirmation at all, even when it seems to be in focus. If I push the AF-ON button, immediately focus. However, this is just an alternative the camera offers (according to the manual). The camera should focus when half-pressed the shutter but it does not. I do hear a little sound like the camera wants to focus, but the lens does not "move" the focus. Do you think there is a menu item that needs to be checked to fix this, or is this a major problem. I put a lot of money into this set and do not want to keep something that may be faulty, when I purchased was under the assumption that it was working just fine as the post said. Both sellers seem very cooperative, responsible and concerned with my satisfaction. Just like I expected, and as I am. I hope this is not a problem at all and that the experts here can help. Thanks, Pepe :(

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

sponsored links
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,196 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 28, 2012 11:43 |  #2

Have you tried resetting the camera and all the custom functions back to defaults?

Kev

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 28, 2012 11:46 |  #3

Hehe....The previous owner has the AF ON button assigned to AF, which removes that function from the shutter button, that's all. It's a much preferred way to shoot for a lot of us, but you can go into the custom function menu and set it back to the default if that's what you're more comfortable with :)

As far as the no af confirm in manual focus, make sure the camera isn't set to AI Servo AF. You have to be in One Shot AF to get the confirmation flash/beep

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 28, 2012 11:50 |  #4

If you don't have a manual, get one... (free download from the Canon website).

If the camera is in AI Servo focus mode, there is no Focus Confirmation. AI Servo mode focuses continuously and there is no focus lock to confirm. This mode is designed to track moving subjects .

Use One Shot for slightly higher precision focus and to get Focus Confirmation. This mode is not usable with moving subjects. (Try Live View, for even higher precision focusing... though it's slow.)

This includes when using manual focus (either turning of AF at the lens or using a manual focus, vintage lens via an adapter that has the chip that allows Focus Confirmation to work). If you want Focus Confirmation when manually focusing, you need to set the camera to One Shot first. If using a vintage/adapted lens, you have to fit the camera with a standard AF lens first temporarily, to be able to change the mode to One Shot.

AI Focus isn't really a focus mode at all. The camera is supposed to decide for you, whether or not the subject is moving, then will switch to the appropriate mode (AI Servo or One Shot). I haven't tried it in years, but last time I did I found it caused a delay that cost me a lot of shots due to missed focus (and that was with a fairly sophisticated 45 AF Point focus system). The "most professional" and high end Canon models don't even have AI Focus mode... only AI Servo and One Shot.

If the camera doesn't focus when the shutter release is half-pressed, chances are the previous owner has it set up for Back Button Focusing (external link) (which you might want to try... it's helpful in a lot of situations... just takes a little practice then it's second nature to use your thumb to control focus).

It's just a matter of turing off this custom function, if you want the camera to focus when the shutter release button is half-pressed (personally, I stopped using that and switched to BBF years ago and will likely never use the "standard" setup again... I do switch BBF off if I'm lending a camera to someone, though, anyone who is unfamiliar with it and accustomed to the standard method).

The "green box" or Full Auto overrides BBF and many other Menu and Custom Function settings, limits you to only JPEGs (no RAW) and some other limitations. That's why the camera focuses as you expected it to, when set to the green box.... but not in any of the other modes.

So try using just the AF/On button (can also be swapped to use the * button to focus instead). If that works, while the half-press of the shutter release doesn't, I bet the camera is set up for BBF.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

TLN
284 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 28, 2012 12:00 |  #5

keep in mind that there's cutom function that can make it function that way.
AF is not working by pressing shupper button, but works when you press AF-ON.

and.. check the posiion of a switch on your lens )

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 28, 2012 12:12 |  #6

Thank, I knew I was going to be able to get some answer. Both sellers are really concerned and want me to be satisfied. I have some more to the original question: I do have the manual and on page 22 of the manual the MF process is described and I followed, that does not work either. Step 2, moving the magnifying frame and step 3, magnifying teh image do not work. Unless there is complete number of items taht need to be reset. I welcome your advise.
PS: I am a Pentaxian who is just trying to convert to Canon, so bear with me. Many things are different in this new world.

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 28, 2012 12:13 |  #7

NinetyEight wrote in post #14781656 (external link)
Have you tried resetting the camera and all the custom functions back to defaults?

The seller told me that he reset all the functions to defaults before sending the camera. So, I am going to check the advice of others here.
----
Well, he didn't do it. I just reset all the custom settings and it works now. Thanks.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 28, 2012 12:26 |  #8

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #14781734 (external link)
Thank, I knew I was going to be able to get some answer. Both sellers are really concerned and want me to be satisfied. I have some more to the original question: I do have the manual and on page 22 of the manual the MF process is described and I followed, that does not work either. Step 2, moving the magnifying frame and step 3, magnifying teh image do not work. Unless there is complete number of items taht need to be reset. I welcome your advise.
PS: I am a Pentaxian who is just trying to convert to Canon, so bear with me. Many things are different in this new world.

This sounds like you're trying get the focus confirmation while manually focusing in Live View. At least, on the 7D, that does not work; you only get the confirmation flash/beep when shooting through the viewfinder. In LV, you just magnify the image and use your eyes to verify focus.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,196 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 28, 2012 12:37 |  #9

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #14781739 (external link)
The seller told me that he reset all the functions to defaults before sending the camera. So, I am going to check the advice of others here.
----
Well, he didn't do it. I just reset all the custom settings and it works now. Thanks.

I believe the custom settings is a seperate reset to the main camera settings - Glad all is OK :D

Kev

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 28, 2012 12:56 |  #10

amfoto1 wrote in post #14781673 (external link)
If you don't have a manual, get one... (free download from the Canon website).

If the camera is in AI Servo focus mode, there is no Focus Confirmation. AI Servo mode focuses continuously and there is no focus lock to confirm. This mode is designed to track moving subjects .

Use One Shot for slightly higher precision focus and to get Focus Confirmation. This mode is not usable with moving subjects. (Try Live View, for even higher precision focusing... though it's slow.)

This includes when using manual focus (either turning of AF at the lens or using a manual focus, vintage lens via an adapter that has the chip that allows Focus Confirmation to work). If you want Focus Confirmation when manually focusing, you need to set the camera to One Shot first. If using a vintage/adapted lens, you have to fit the camera with a standard AF lens first temporarily, to be able to change the mode to One Shot.

AI Focus isn't really a focus mode at all. The camera is supposed to decide for you, whether or not the subject is moving, then will switch to the appropriate mode (AI Servo or One Shot). I haven't tried it in years, but last time I did I found it caused a delay that cost me a lot of shots due to missed focus (and that was with a fairly sophisticated 45 AF Point focus system). The "most professional" and high end Canon models don't even have AI Focus mode... only AI Servo and One Shot.

If the camera doesn't focus when the shutter release is half-pressed, chances are the previous owner has it set up for Back Button Focusing (external link) (which you might want to try... it's helpful in a lot of situations... just takes a little practice then it's second nature to use your thumb to control focus).

It's just a matter of turing off this custom function, if you want the camera to focus when the shutter release button is half-pressed (personally, I stopped using that and switched to BBF years ago and will likely never use the "standard" setup again... I do switch BBF off if I'm lending a camera to someone, though, anyone who is unfamiliar with it and accustomed to the standard method).

The "green box" or Full Auto overrides BBF and many other Menu and Custom Function settings, limits you to only JPEGs (no RAW) and some other limitations. That's why the camera focuses as you expected it to, when set to the green box.... but not in any of the other modes.

So try using just the AF/On button (can also be swapped to use the * button to focus instead). If that works, while the half-press of the shutter release doesn't, I bet the camera is set up for BBF.

Thank you, very much. bw!

sponsored links

1,445 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help...No AF when 1/2 pressing shutter..?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.