Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Singh-Ray polarizers for Cokin P, ring or sprocket mount?

koffikapp
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 28, 2012 17:40 |  #1

I made a similar thread in Nature & Landscapes Talk but haven't got any replies yet, and this subforum seem to have more traffic...

Anyway, I recently bought a set of Singh-Ray ND grads for use with Cokin P, of which I have both the wide-angle and standard holders. I originally wanted to use a screw-in circular polarizer on the lens and then mount the holder to the filter, but found it was a bit of hassle turning the polarizer while trying to keep the holder stationary. I'm therefore looking into getting a polarizer from SR for use with the grads, I'm thinking either a LB Warming or Color Combo, and maybe a Gold'n'Blue.

My question is, for those who've used this system, if it's better to get the sprocket rather than ring mount? I will probably use the polarizers in combination with the grads for the most part, and I guess I could just handhold the grads, but I might want to use the polarizer + two grads on the standard P holder. As for the wide holder, would mounting a sprocket polarizer result in the filter edges being visible on 17mm on FF? I'm using a 5D II with a 17-40, and the holder itself doesn't vignette @17mm.

Also, if anyone who've used the SR LB Warming/Color Combo, I'd love to see some shots with/without the filter if you happen to have some.

Cheers!

sponsored links
koffikapp
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 29, 2012 14:58 |  #2

No one has any opinions on sprocket type polarizers?

PG1
163 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 29, 2012 17:29 |  #3

I use sprocket mount SR LB warming polarizer on the Lee kit. Tried it out recently - worked well. I put it in the closest slot (to lens) and grad ND in the 3rd spot (second spot is not usable with the sprocket mount in the first spot) - no vignetting with the 17-40 at 17 on 5DII.

Too much gear, not enough skill or time!
5DIII, 6D & 7D; 16-35 L, 24-70 II L, 70-200 f/2.8 II L, 100-400 L, 135 L, 35 L, 24 TSE L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8
Extender 1.4 II. 580 EX. Gitzo 1541T, 3541LS, Markins Q3T, Q20.

koffikapp
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 29, 2012 18:37 |  #4

Nice to hear there's no vignetting, but kind of a bummer if you can only use one grad together with the polarizer. Wonder if it applies to the Cokin holder as well? The Lee kit is larger than Cokin P though, equivalent to Cokin Z-Pro, or have I misunderstood?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 29, 2012 18:38 |  #5

Right - the Cokin P filters are only 85 mm; the Z-Pro and Lee are 100 mm (4"), so less vignetting especially at wide angles and with round filters in the equation.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

koffikapp
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 29, 2012 18:43 |  #6

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that means vignetting could be present with the P sized filters.

PG1
163 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 29, 2012 18:53 |  #7

Correct - Lee is Z-pro equivalent.

I have not tried it, and not sure it will work, but you could put the sprocket mount polarizer in the 3rd spot and use the first 2 for square filters.

FWIW, the setup I mentioned first is what Darwin Wiggett uses and recommends...

koffikapp wrote in post #14787215 (external link)
Nice to hear there's no vignetting, but kind of a bummer if you can only use one grad together with the polarizer. Wonder if it applies to the Cokin holder as well? The Lee kit is larger than Cokin P though, equivalent to Cokin Z-Pro, or have I misunderstood?

Too much gear, not enough skill or time!
5DIII, 6D & 7D; 16-35 L, 24-70 II L, 70-200 f/2.8 II L, 100-400 L, 135 L, 35 L, 24 TSE L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8
Extender 1.4 II. 580 EX. Gitzo 1541T, 3541LS, Markins Q3T, Q20.

sponsored links

3,068 views & 0 likes for this thread
Singh-Ray polarizers for Cokin P, ring or sprocket mount?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.