Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Jul 2012 (Monday) 16:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yongnuo YN-622C Controller Trigger

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 07, 2012 21:37 |  #346

The YN-622C has a test button, which can test one or more groups simultaneously. The group(s) can be selected while TEST is pressed.

All transceivers on the same channel, regardless of operating mode (TX or RX), will fire a test when Test is released.

One use for this: Light-meter users can carry a 622, and use its TEST button while holding a meter in front of the subject. No need to go to a light stand or camera position.

Someone with suitable equipment might even like to test a 622 PC-sync port to Meter cable!

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 07, 2012 22:01 |  #347

macoylaroza wrote in post #14960485 (external link)
I want to see some sample photos... YN622+AB+FF/CROP :lol:

As I mentioned above. "Super Sync" or "Hyper Sync" is a hack that takes advantage of the fact that the camera pre-triggers the flash for High Speed Sync to ensure that the speedlite is "strobing" for the shutter slit travel across the sensor.

The manufacturers use this pre-trigger to fire the monolight so the peak output occurs before the shutter starts its travel. This means that the tail of the monolight flash is lighting the subject for the period that the slit travels across the sensor. A crop camera has a smaller sensor, thus the shutter slit travels across the shorter distance more rapidly than it does a full frame sensor. This means that the tail, which is a gradually diminishing light source, will deliver a more gradated illumination on a full frame sensor than on a crop sensor.

The problem is more the gradated light source over time than a particular camera model.

If one is using a monolight with a relatively flat tail, i.e. a more powerful light at a lower power setting, then the light fall off across the image is less pronounced. It also helps to have the portion of the image that received the least illumination an area that should be darker in the final image. Or an area where the background is too far away to be influenced by the flash illumination.

If you click the tutorial site below in my signature there is a page where I describe my testing with Pocket Wizard Control TL Hyper Sync. I expect that the YN-622 will deliver essentially the same results. When I get mine, I'll redo the test, using some cheap 150 Ws monolights. (I sold my ABs and the Einsteins won't work because of their IGBT power control technology.)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 08, 2012 00:08 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #348

Someone should eventually have some AB's to try. Those results should give you a pretty good indication for others too.

The may not be exactly the same because the timing even changes with the zoom on a lense.

Some cheaper monolights with longer flash duration can get better results. Theres some Jinbei Discovery 1200ws working at any shutter speed or flash power even with the 5DII here (and Pixel Kings which should be similar)- https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1175936

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 08, 2012 03:52 |  #349

I have been studying and testing what the User Guide says about the TEST button. By good chance, a question was asked this afternoon in the Strobist group that yeilded more info.

Here is my amalgam so far. Hopefully, someone can test the light meter connection.

Testing the lighting setup
The setup can be tested to ensure that all devices are powered up and that the communication is working. In addition, actual lighting outputs can be metered if manual levels are being used.
• The [Test] button can awaken the flashes and test whether they are being triggered.
• The test works through both hot-shoe and PC-sync cable.
• The flash will wake if necessary. If it does not, manually awaken it.
• Use the PC-sync port to connect a flash which does not have the awakening function.
• All transceivers (transmitter or receiver mode) on the same channel as the test unit will be accessed.
• Those flashes included in the “Testing Group” will be fired.
• An on-top flash will also fire if Group A is included in the test groups.
• All the indicators go out when flash fires.
• Testing group is different than the Firing group, which controls ratios and levels.

Testing all flashes
• Press and release [Test]. The default group is All (A+B+C).
• The group indicators will light, the flashes will awaken and fire almost immediately,

Testing selected flashes
• To select a testing group, hold down [Test] and repeatedly press [GP SET] to cycle through the seven testing groups.
• When the desired testing group is shown, release [Test]. The flashes in the selected group will fire a test flash.

Using a Light Meter
• Use Manual levels (or Multi), set either by Remote control menus or on-flash settings.
• The test fire will be at the level as it is displayed on the LCD of the flash.
• The test button will not change the setting of the flash.
• If Remote control is being used, press half-shutter to ensure that settings are propagated through to the flashes.
• E-TTL will produce a pre-flash, which may confuse the light meter.
If the transmitter is in mixed control mode, set the flash manually and trigger with any YN-622c on the same channel.

50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 08, 2012 06:43 |  #350

Thanks for all the answers to my question much appreciated as its difficult to evaluate some kit one doesn't really understand. So reassuring to know experts give it the heads up.
Nothing worse than buying new kit only to find its got a fundamental failing to do something critical for you.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 08, 2012 14:59 |  #351

Just received my 622's today. (Ordered 8/20 - Delivered 9/8)
I started reading through the manual and very overwhelmed
w/ everything that it can do!

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 08, 2012 15:33 |  #352

I"m just thinking this will be a nice way to not walk to each light when I"m adjusting settings in the beginning. the softbox that encloses the speedlight will now be a better option since I can change it's power level without opening it up

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 08, 2012 22:24 |  #353

I am messing around w/ my 622's and ran into an issue w/ my 5d2 & 580II.
- when the flash goes to sleep and I either press shutter or test button, it does not wake my 580II. I have to manually wake the unit. Is this by design or is there an issue w/ the 622 unit?

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2012 00:47 |  #354

itsmejson wrote in post #14966016 (external link)
- when the flash goes to sleep and I either press shutter or test button, it does not wake my 580II. I have to manually wake the unit. Is this by design or is there an issue w/ the 622 unit?

Set the flash to not go to sleep. If it alread is, then
>one or more batteries are needing recharging/replacing. or
>the hotshoe and hotfoot have a poor contact.

The 622 will wake your 580II with the [Test] button, or half-shutter, if everything is good.

lianggc
97 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 09, 2012 01:20 |  #355

itsmejson wrote in post #14966016 (external link)

YN-622 will wake up compatible flash when testing or half pressing shutter. Check:

1. When pressing the test button of 622c tx, do all 3 group leds (A, B, C) keep lighting? If not, press the gp button several times while keep pressing test button until all 3 leds keep lighting. (refer to manual)

2. Press the test button of 622c rx, if it's installed properly, the flash will display information (aperture/range etc) and emit a flash after you release test button.

3. Check if the channel is the same on both tx and rx. When pressing the test button of tx, the leds of rx should be blinking if the channel is the same.

4. make sure the group of rx isn't c and the tx group is A:B.

You can do a factory reset on all 622c and test again. (refer to quick start guide).

This post is intended to be read on photography-on-the.net only. Please don't repost/quote it on other websites without permession.
Yongnuo Products Support: service@hkyongnuo.com (external link)

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2012 01:43 |  #356

The 622 Reset is: hold CH SET and GP Set until the Status indicator has flashes red/green three times, then release.

The 580EX II settings for C.Fn 01, 10 and 11 should be checked.

If your camera has suitable menus, then instal the Speedlite directly on the camera, and use "Clear Speedlite Settings", which reset most main and C.Fn settings.

innerimages
45 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 03:46 as a reply to  @ CliveyBoy's post |  #357

@ lianggc: Previously I had Kings, I experienced with (580EX II + original CP-E4 battery pack) that the flash's C.Fn. 12 (power source) sets automatically to "external power source only" despite my manual setting "both power sources". I hope the 622s are not producing this forced settings. I'm photographing weddings and dance events mostly, so I need the faster recycle times on my speedlites.

lianggc
97 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 09, 2012 04:48 |  #358

innerimages wrote in post #14966733 (external link)
@ lianggc: Previously I had Kings, I experienced with (580EX II + original CP-E4 battery pack) that the flash's C.Fn. 12 (power source) sets automatically to "external power source only" despite my manual setting "both power sources". I hope the 622s are not producing this forced settings. I'm photographing weddings and dance events mostly, so I need the faster recycle times on my speedlites.

YN-622C won't impact/change custom functions of flashes.

This post is intended to be read on photography-on-the.net only. Please don't repost/quote it on other websites without permession.
Yongnuo Products Support: service@hkyongnuo.com (external link)

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2012 05:05 |  #359

50D/622 and 622/580EX II with Pixel battery pack - C.Fn 12 stays as set on-flash.

innerimages
45 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 09:10 as a reply to  @ CliveyBoy's post |  #360

@ lianggc & CliveyBoy: Thanks to both of you!

sponsored links

732,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yongnuo YN-622C Controller Trigger
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.