Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 20:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CF Card Snobs please check in!

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 01, 2012 16:07 |  #16

DarthSparky wrote in post #14801025 (external link)
Erik - I also went for Sandisk Extreme Pro 32s for my 1DX (4 of them). Two of mine are branded UDMA 7, the other 2 UDMA 6.

I wish I could find the UDMA 7 ones.

I figure I'll be buying cards again so I can get the faster UDMA 7 stuff later when it's a bit cheaper.

These two new ones along with what I already have should keep the cameras happy for a while. :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,780 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 01, 2012 16:15 |  #17

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #14801255 (external link)
I wish I could find the UDMA 7 ones.

I figure I'll be buying cards again so I can get the faster UDMA 7 stuff later when it's a bit cheaper.

These two new ones along with what I already have should keep the cameras happy for a while. :)

You could well be wasting money on faster memory which cannot be exploited by the I/O of the camera! While faster memory might read/write faster with a suitable reader/writer on a fast PC, the Canon camera is fundamentally limited in I/O speeds. So on the Galbraith database for 5DII, one sees that a 1000X CF card is not 2.5x faster than 400X CF cards!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 01, 2012 16:40 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #14801295 (external link)
You could well be wasting money on faster memory which cannot be exploited by the I/O of the camera! While faster memory might read/write faster with a suitable reader/writer on a fast PC, the Canon camera is fundamentally limited in I/O speeds. So on the Galbraith database for 5DII, one sees that a 1000X CF card is not 2.5x faster than 400X CF cards!

True, within reason. The 5D3 and 1Dx are UDMA 7 compatible and can write to cards fairly quickly. That said, I think the most telling column on Galbraith's site is the one for "Burst" tests: How many images can be taken in a fixed period of time with one card versus another.

The 5D3 can take 57 images with the card I selected (SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB) and can take 75 with the Lexar Pro 1000X. This is a fairly impressive jump if burst speed is your thing. For me, the buffer rarely fills so I don't think I'll notice all that much but it does show that the camera will clear the buffer faster with a faster card, enabling more images in a given time period.

BTW, the Lexar 400x (16GB) does 39 images in this test. While it's not 2.5 times as fast, it is nearly twice as fast... and it's not all that much slower than the SanDisk card... I have a Lexar 32GB 400x and I'm tempted to test it against the SanDisks when they come... Just for grins. :D

Gear List

kosin
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 01, 2012 18:37 |  #19

Have you seen prices of Lexar 1000x at B&H?

This should make your decision easier :D

32GB 2-pack for $238.22 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …actFlash_Memory​_Card.html (external link)

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,711 posts
Gallery: 215 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 01, 2012 18:52 |  #20

I've been using the Transcend x600 and Delkin x700 on my 1D4 without issue, the Transcend does download slightly faster using my Firewire 800 reader.

As for what speed, I can see no point in the x1000 in terms of burst mode shooting, your just not going to fill the buffer fast enough that it'll stall out due to writing to the card (unless your shooting continuously at 12fps in raw)

Now for downloading I'm not so sure, yes you would need a UDMA 7 fast card reader to take advantage and I don't know of any yet, but if you can download via the ethernet connection on the 1D X, which surely is going to be much faster than any card reader, it maybe worth getting the fastest card available.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

kosin
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 01, 2012 19:03 |  #21

whiteflyer wrote in post #14801910 (external link)
I've been using the Transcend x600 and Delkin x700 on my 1D4 without issue, the Transcend does download slightly faster using my Firewire 800 reader.

As for what speed, I can see no point in the x1000 in terms of burst mode shooting, your just not going to fill the buffer fast enough that it'll stall out due to writing to the card (unless your shooting continuously at 12fps in raw)

Now for downloading I'm not so sure, yes you would need a UDMA 7 fast card reader to take advantage and I don't know of any yet, but if you can download via the ethernet connection on the 1D X, which surely is going to be much faster than any card reader, it maybe worth getting the fastest card available.

Lexar has UDMA7 card reader: http://www.lexar.com …l-usb-30-dual-slot-reader (external link)

As for hitting the buffer limit it all depends on your style of shooting... :)

Here is a test done by FM member using various cards and cameras (no 1DX I believe): http://www.fredmiranda​.com …/topic/1117210/​0#10668111 (external link)

"Test 1 (lens cap on or super underexposed near black frames (i.e. with requiring minimum for storage) at ISO100 on 5D3):

14 shots with a slow Lexar 16GB 200x card
17 shots with a 30MB/s SanDisk Extreme III 8GB card
20 shots (3.3s) with a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 90GB/s card
35 shots (5.8s) with a 32GB Lexar 1000x card (whoa! 35! vs 20! 5.8s of continuous shooting vs only 3.3s!)

(so the Lexar 1000x makes a surprisingly large difference on the 5D3 and is well worth the $ if you seriously shoot action with the 5D3, do note that the 16GB 1000x card is said to be slower than the 32GB and larger 1000x cards so the advantage may be less if you go for the 16GB size; with this speed card the 5D3 continuous shooting time easily beats the 5D2 and 7D)"

Greg Gard
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 01, 2012 19:48 |  #22

kosin wrote in post #14801846 (external link)
Have you seen prices of Lexar 1000x at B&H?

This should make your decision easier :D

32GB 2-pack for $238.22 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …actFlash_Memory​_Card.html (external link)

That's not funny. :(

I checked this morning and that price was $434 so I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards for $149 each.

/sigh.

Gear List

kosin
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 01, 2012 19:54 |  #23

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #14802095 (external link)
That's not funny. :(

I checked this morning and that price was $434 so I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards for $149 each.

/sigh.

Ooops, I'm sorry!
I didn't know you bought them already :oops: (Obviously, I didn't read all your posts :o )

Maybe you can cancel the other order and buy Lexar 1000x ;)

Greg Gard

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 01, 2012 19:58 |  #24

http://www.calumetphot​o.com …flash_memory_ca​rd/cm62932 (external link)

you can get 625x 64 gigs from Calumet (which is very good IMO) for $150 a piece on sale from $220

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 01, 2012 20:15 |  #25

kosin wrote in post #14802116 (external link)
Ooops, I'm sorry!
I didn't know you bought them already :oops: (Obviously, I didn't read all your posts :o )

Maybe you can cancel the other order and buy Lexar 1000x ;)

Hehe. It's all good.

I still had the B&H page up from shopping last night:

7/31/12:

IMAGE: http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/misc/7-31-12.jpg

I placed my order just before lunch today (PST) for the SanDisk cards. I got the shipping notice just before I left work...

I got home to see the link you posted above from today, 8-1-12:

IMAGE: http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/misc/8-1-12.jpg

So I ordered the Lexar cards.

I'll RMA the Sandisk ones tomorrow and just drop their packaging in a return box...

Too funny... this is just how the rest of my week is going also.

Gear List

kosin
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 01, 2012 21:20 |  #26

Thank you for posting these screen shots! I had a feeling that I saw these cards for much more a week ago :D

Greg Gard

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 01, 2012 21:26 |  #27

kosin wrote in post #14802452 (external link)
Thank you for posting these screen shots! I had a feeling that I saw these cards for much more a week ago :D

You're welcome for the screenshots and the price drop. Nothing makes a retailer drop a price faster than me buying another product. In this case the turnaround time was an hour or two. I'm proud of that. Yes I am.

This trick works with stocks, too. If anyone plans to short something just let me know and I'll buy 1,000 shares to ensure it goes down... :rolleyes:

Gear List

aegid
506 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 01, 2012 22:29 |  #28

Adorama and Amazon still have the two pack for $435. The price for one 32GB card is $224/232 respectively. The two pack at B&H is an incredible deal and one I've been waiting for for practically the whole year (and makes me feel better I didn't keep the 32GB Extreme Pro for $130 earlier).

I'm putting this deal up there with the 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF card deal for $100 last year. Even better given the speed increase.

5d3,17-40,24-105,24 1.4,85 1.4,70-200 2.8 is ii

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 01, 2012 22:52 |  #29

Be careful....you are becoming card snobs. ;)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 01, 2012 22:58 |  #30

Erik, could you work your magic on the 16GBs as well. I've been looking to pick up a couple of those too. Anything helps.

:)

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links

10,870 views & 0 likes for this thread
CF Card Snobs please check in!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.