Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 20:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CF Card Snobs please check in!

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 02, 2012 05:47 |  #31

Go for transcend. I have one for three years now and I never had problems with it.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

sponsored links
M635_Guy
232 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 02, 2012 10:19 |  #32

I'm a big fan of Lexar - they have their own fabs and are much more vertical company than SANDisk.

If I'm not buying Lexar, I'm probably going for Transcend for bang/buck

My blog: Enthusiast Photographer (external link)
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/e24mpwr/sets/ (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 02, 2012 12:12 |  #33

I know you guys all have your favorite brands and I do also but here is a little info to chew on.
Last summer, my photo bsns covered 4 softball tournaments with 30-40 teams in each. I had 6-8 photogs covering the various fields. After each game they would bring their cards to me and I would upload them to the server feeding the viewing stations.

The cards used included Lexar, Sandisk, Adata, Transcend and maybe one or two more. The most pics shot at the largest tournament was over 50,000.

We did not have any corrupt images or any problems downloading the images. I used a Delkins USB 3 multi card reader hooked up to a laptop. Gotta love it when things go smooth.

Note: These weren't the newer high speed cards. My Transcend 400x was probably the fastest.

If you guys are shooting sports, do you really need to shoot 75 bursts in one sequence? Just asking. I never have.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,817 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2012 13:10 as a reply to  @ MT Stringer's post |  #34

I shoot wildlife where you can not have too fast or too long a frame sequence. This is especially true for shooting birds in flight.

kosin
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 02, 2012 13:25 |  #35

MT Stringer wrote in post #14804881 (external link)
If you guys are shooting sports, do you really need to shoot 75 bursts in one sequence? Just asking. I never have.

Mainly it is not about how many frames you will take in a sequence, it is all about how long you will be able to shoot that sequence and/if complete it ;)
There is no problem if a particular sequence lasts 3 seconds where the buffer keeps up. What happens when the sequence is longer than 5 seconds? Yes, you are loosing the frames due to the slower card.
And as shown in the test I quoted before, you can almost double the time with a 1000x card on a 5DIII :)

I wonder what stops Canon with releasing cameras with larger buffer sizes?

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

TheDocAUS
79 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 02, 2012 16:54 as a reply to  @ kosin's post |  #36

I also bought the Lexar 32GB 1000x cards on special, 2 packs for my new 1DX. Some serious savings with that B&H special.

Review of USB 3.0 Readers (external link)

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 02, 2012 20:49 |  #37

kosin wrote in post #14801846 (external link)
Have you seen prices of Lexar 1000x at B&H?

This should make your decision easier :D

32GB 2-pack for $238.22 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …actFlash_Memory​_Card.html (external link)

Thank you very much for posting this. Last week I bought this same 32 GB 2-pack from B&H for $434.99. Today, B&H agreed to refund me the difference between that price and their current price (almost $200)! As I told the B&H rep, that kind of service is why they are always my first stop.

Blane
Gear List

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 03, 2012 08:53 |  #38

kosin wrote in post #14801846 (external link)
Have you seen prices of Lexar 1000x at B&H?

This should make your decision easier :D

32GB 2-pack for $238.22 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …actFlash_Memory​_Card.html (external link)

Thank you SO MUCH for making me spend more money. :)

Heck, I wasn't even really looking for new cards right now, but this seemed like a good deal.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,817 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 03, 2012 10:40 |  #39

It is a good deal. I paid the old price for my pair. Tempting to order another pair for my 7D.

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2012 11:07 |  #40

MCAsan wrote in post #14809358 (external link)
It is a good deal. I paid the old price for my pair. Tempting to order another pair for my 7D.

I think the sale is good until the end of the month. I may end up with a couple more by then...

I've already spent over $10K on camera kit this year (counting stuff still on back-order) so what's another couple of hundred here or there, right?!?! :oops::p:rolleyes:

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

CrashTheDOG
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 04, 2012 10:33 |  #41

So with a 5d MIII using CF & SD storage does it make sense to spend the money on a 1000x CF card with the SD cards maxing out a 600x?

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2012 11:24 |  #42

CrashTheDOG wrote in post #14813263 (external link)
So with a 5d MIII using CF & SD storage does it make sense to spend the money on a 1000x CF card with the SD cards maxing out a 600x?

Keep in mind that the X numbers are almost completely meaningless. Look at the write speeds (Mb/Sec) to compare.

The "1000X" represents a thousand times faster than X with X representing arbitrary point in the past... :)

Also, it depends on how you set up your cards. If you go RAW to the faster card and .jpg to the slower (if it is) then you'll come closer to equal per-image performance.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

aegid
506 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 04, 2012 11:32 |  #43

The SD slot doesn't support UHS-I cards anyway so even if you did have a 600x SD card it wouldn't matter that you had a 1000x CF card. RAW to CF, JPG to SD is probably the best way to go around things. If you were to do RAW to both it simultaneously would get slowed down to that SD card's max speed.

5d3,17-40,24-105,24 1.4,85 1.4,70-200 2.8 is ii

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,829 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2012 13:32 |  #44

Yno wrote in post #14808845 (external link)
Thank you SO MUCH for making me spend more money. :)

Heck, I wasn't even really looking for new cards right now, but this seemed like a good deal.

I thought that I had enough Lexar 16GB CF cards, but, buying two (2) more will not kill me. I just hope that I do not purchase anymore before the end of the month.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 04, 2012 13:42 |  #45

Just to let you know, B&H has Lexar 1000x UDMA 7 CF Cards on sale all during the month of August.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …789+4294952451+​4294194739 (external link)

For example a 2 pack of 32 GB Lexar 1000x UDMA 7 CF cards regular price: $428.50 on sale for $238.22.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

sponsored links

10,686 views & 0 likes for this thread
CF Card Snobs please check in!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.