Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 01:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Medium Format Lens and other lens for 7D

Eric_Lopotosky
68 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 05, 2012 01:36 |  #1

I just read a very interesting post on another site about a guys using Medium Format lens on his 5D MK2 for both stills and movies. I find this intriguing and would like to try it on my 7D. I am wondering what experience there is in this community with using either medium format, other manufactures and non digital canon lens. Any recommendations, suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Eric

7D Gripped, Canon 17-40 4.0L, 70-200 f2.8L, 135 2.0L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 28-135 3.5-5.6,
Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight , Essential 72MM Lens Filter Kit

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 05, 2012 12:31 |  #2

I still use some Nikkors on the 20D, & sometimes just because it's easy to adjust the f-stops on the outside of the lens. And some of them are actually sharper than the "L"s.
One general thing about MF lenses is that they're usually not as sharp as lenses designed for smaller formats (35mm) because they don't have to be.
^ ^ Note the italics above. ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Eric_Lopotosky
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 05, 2012 15:20 |  #3

PhotosGuy wrote in post #14817263 (external link)
I still use some Nikkors on the 20D, & sometimes just because it's easy to adjust the f-stops on the outside of the lens. And some of them are actually sharper than the "L"s.
One general thing about MF lenses is that they're usually not as sharp as lenses designed for smaller formats (35mm) because they don't have to be.
^ ^ Note the italics above. ;)

Thank you for the input

7D Gripped, Canon 17-40 4.0L, 70-200 f2.8L, 135 2.0L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 28-135 3.5-5.6,
Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight , Essential 72MM Lens Filter Kit

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2012 05:04 |  #4

I home-made a medium format lens adapter for my Zeiss and Kiev lenses for Kiev 60 camera.
But I didnĀ“t use the Zeiss Jena 180/2.8 and 80/2.8 often. Image quality was good with these. Older coating could probably cause more flares - could be used if you like this.

Most of my lenses are not digital optimzed - I use most time adapted or converted manual focus 24x36mm lenses: Canon FD, Minolta Rokkor, Zeiss Contax, Zeiss Jena, Meyer Goerlitz, Steinheil, Nikon,... - see my equipment list.
Most of my lenses are sharp enough for pixel peeping.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
Medium Format Lens and other lens for 7D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.