Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 05 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 02:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NASL Soccer - Minnesota Stars @ Edmonton - Aug 4, 2012

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 05, 2012 02:18 |  #1

Here are some from today's game, C&C always welcome!

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7715391090_995958287b_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7715391720_c5775d3f5b_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8290/7715393856_6b6f424309_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7274/7715394536_9843b3f907_b.jpg

Joel

sponsored links
ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 05, 2012 02:53 |  #2

Hey Joel .

These would all be deletes for me.

1) Guy in the foreground kills it.
2) Timing is off. You want the foot on the ball for this type of shot.
3) Focus is off and the player in front is closed off body wise to the camera. The background players are distracting also.
4) Ball?

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 05, 2012 10:10 |  #3

very nice Joel, really like 2,3 and 4

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,268 posts
Gallery: 660 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 05, 2012 17:26 |  #4

I like #2 the best. New 7D?

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

TWayne
39 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 05, 2012 17:29 |  #5

Good shots, are you at field level?

http://500px.com/twayn​e (external link)
Canon 5D MkII, Canon 50D - Canon EFS 10-22mm F3.5 - Canon 24-70mm F2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8LIS II - Sigma 150-500mm F5.0 - Sigma 85mm EX F1.4 - 580EX II

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 05, 2012 18:25 |  #6

ajaffe wrote in post #14816042 (external link)
Hey Joel .

These would all be deletes for me.

1) Guy in the foreground kills it.
2) Timing is off. You want the foot on the ball for this type of shot.
3) Focus is off and the player in front is closed off body wise to the camera. The background players are distracting also.
4) Ball?

Thanks for the honest critique Aaron, it's not an excuse but I was shooting for the first time with the 7D that day and I didn't feel on the ball (no pun intended) for whatever reason. I think I need to spend some time tweaking the AF settings and just getting used to the body layout. Kept missing the AF-ON button and kept hitting AE lock instead...

#1 - Agreed.

#2 - I like the shot myself, but I will make a note for next time.

#3 - This one has me scratching my head, it looks backfocused on the player in the back (his face seems sharp) but if you look at the grass it would indicate that the players are inside the DOF. Their legs seem sharp too. Shutter was 1/1000 or higher so it's not motion blur. Noted about body position and background.

#4 - I know I broke a basic soccer rule... this pose was the player's follow through after a clearance and seemed more aesthetically pleasing than the pose where he had the ball on his foot. I've been following the baseball threads and the "bat on ball" vs. "batter out of the box" discussions - I guess this was my take on it. But as you say, probably not going to cut it for editorial if the ball's not in the shot.

rick_reno wrote in post #14816811 (external link)
very nice Joel, really like 2,3 and 4

Thanks Rick, have had better days at the field but I'll take the compliment. :)

Voaky999 wrote in post #14818272 (external link)
I like #2 the best. New 7D?

Thanks Don, how did you know? ;)

TWayne wrote in post #14818280 (external link)
Good shots, are you at field level?

Yes sir, I was on the sidelines.

Joel

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 05, 2012 20:04 |  #7

Seems like the focal plane is just in between the players like you noted. That might be a camera booboo if you were tracking it for long enough and the camera just blew it.

Shooting with new gear absolutely stinks the first couple of times until you get used to buttons, the files it can produce and how to run them through post.

For 4 though, shoot landscape. I honestly shoot in landscape more than in portrait because I can time things better and because the places I submit to all use a landscape format. If I submit portrait then they have to letterbox it which looks ugly. Also I find most people are used to seeing in 16:9 format since that is what they see on televisions. That is one rule I break all the time.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,268 posts
Gallery: 660 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 05, 2012 21:19 |  #8

ajaffe wrote in post #14818820 (external link)
For 4 though, shoot landscape. I honestly shoot in landscape more than in portrait because I can time things better and because the places I submit to all use a landscape format. If I submit portrait then they have to letterbox it which looks ugly. Also I find most people are used to seeing in 16:9 format since that is what they see on televisions. That is one rule I break all the time.

It funny about preferences, when I shoot tennis for the University they only use verticals. When I shoot periodically for other University Athletics they will only use horizontals. I guess it basically comes down to how the webmaster set up their news pages.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 06, 2012 18:52 |  #9

ajaffe wrote in post #14818820 (external link)
Seems like the focal plane is just in between the players like you noted. That might be a camera booboo if you were tracking it for long enough and the camera just blew it.

Shooting with new gear absolutely stinks the first couple of times until you get used to buttons, the files it can produce and how to run them through post.

I'm probably fighting the camera a bit, but I'll wear the blame for now until I'm absolutely sure I'm not to blame. :)

So far I haven't been asked to submit in a particular orientation, only to keep keep them in standard crop sizes. I find myself cropping in 8x10 ratio a lot, seems to be a good format for eliminating dead space and keeping the shots tight on players.

Voaky999 wrote in post #14819167 (external link)
It funny about preferences, when I shoot tennis for the University they only use verticals. When I shoot periodically for other University Athletics they will only use horizontals. I guess it basically comes down to how the webmaster set up their news pages.

Might very well be!

Joel

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 06, 2012 19:55 |  #10

Voaky999 wrote in post #14819167 (external link)

Exactly. I find more and more people using Demosphere and Sidearm Sports based sites that have a more horizontal layout. Like you reiterated though, it depends on what orientation the client wants.

www.csusmcougars.com (external link) has examples of this

sponsored links

2,120 views & 0 likes for this thread
NASL Soccer - Minnesota Stars @ Edmonton - Aug 4, 2012
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.