Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 16:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon eTTL off-shoe cord recommendation

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 05, 2012 16:27 |  #1

Can anyone recommend an affordable ettl off-camera cord for Canon? It's not something I would use very often but build quality is still a concern. It will be used with a camera flash bracket and I prefer nothing longer than 3ft (2 ft is better).

The Zeikos ZE-OCSCC seems to be a good alternative as it has a metal foot, but the reviews are everywhere on it?

Thanks

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 05, 2012 16:32 |  #2

I have a couple of the cables from FlashZebra.com. They are good quality and work well.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 05, 2012 16:37 |  #3

dmward wrote in post #14818093 (external link)
I have a couple of the cables from FlashZebra.com. They are good quality and work well.

Thanks dmward. Can you provide a link as they have several for sale.

Is this the one your refering to as found HERE (external link)?

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 05, 2012 22:47 |  #4

Ralph III wrote in post #14818113 (external link)
Thanks dmward. Can you provide a link as they have several for sale.

Is this the one your refering to as found HERE (external link)?

That's it.
I have a couple of the 3 ft ones and one of the long ones.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

bebud
111 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2012 09:29 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #5

www.ocfgear.com/Syl (external link) Arena

7d ,6d,10-22,70-200 f4, 24 f2 is,Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 90mm macro,Tamron 18-270
simplydave.net (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,611 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 06, 2012 09:40 |  #6

I got this one from B&H. Its only $15 and works perfectly. It gets a lot of good reviews on the BH site too.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …amera_Flash_Cor​d_for.html (external link)

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 06, 2012 09:57 |  #7

After having the Canon OEM cord snap at the plastic mounting base, I switched to the Alzo...
http://www.alzodigital​.com …_accessory_ocsc​_canon.htm (external link)

I like it a lot better because of the hinged metal mounting bracket. 3 years of heavy use with no problems.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 06, 2012 12:41 |  #8

clarence wrote in post #14820888 (external link)
After having the Canon OEM cord snap at the plastic mounting base, I switched to the Alzo...
http://www.alzodigital​.com …_accessory_ocsc​_canon.htm (external link)

I like it a lot better because of the hinged metal mounting bracket. 3 years of heavy use with no problems.

I had a couple of the Alzo cables, they were less than great. That's what got me to get the Flash Zebra version. Other than the Alzo's I think most of them come from the same source in China. :-)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2012 12:52 |  #9

Thanks for the input everyone!

Tommydigi wrote in post #14820842 (external link)
I got this one from B&H. Its only $15 and works perfectly. It gets a lot of good reviews on the BH site too.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …amera_Flash_Cor​d_for.html (external link)

Wow, that cord does get good reviews and just the price range I was looking for. I think I'm going with this one.

Do you use it with a flash bracket Tommy? Is there any concern with breaking the foot when flipping the flash to vertical? One of the flash brackets I'm considering is the Bower (external link) but I'm concerned I could break the foot? If so I will get the flip type bracket whereas the camera flips and not the flash.

Thanks,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

rang
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 06, 2012 15:52 as a reply to  @ Ralph III's post |  #10

As long as you're not really wanted something really long and not coiled like the Flash Zebra ettl-II cords...try this one:

http://www.phottix.com …tl-flash-remote-cord.html (external link)

I love it. And you will be amazed if you have the Canon STE-2 and/or the Yongnuo STE-2 and other ettl-II flashes the flexibility the pass through hot shoe gives you on a flash frame cheap DotLine variety or Manfrotto flash bracket or the numerous expensive frames (Stroboframe, Custom Brakets, etc.

Added benefit is that it is pinned for *both* Canon ettl-II *and* Nikon i-ttl.

In the end to me the variable options was worth the price difference. If that's not worth it to you...there's lots of decent off shoe ettl-II cords to choose from.

Lotsa stuff, running outta room and a wife...I keep looking at her and wondering??? :lol:

nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 07, 2012 20:31 as a reply to  @ rang's post |  #11

Got a Vivitar (Sakar) brand cord from Amazon for about $15 and it works just fine. Passes all of the sync, TTL and HSS signals from flash to camera like it should. Seems to be sturdy enough for casual use and has a metal foot on the camera end. Looks identical to the one on the flashzebra site (except it might be 4' instead of 3' extended) but I'd guess most of them are made in the same factory in China with different branding and packaging.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,838 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 07, 2012 20:39 |  #12

If you want short, this one works great. I use it with my Newton FR3 rotating flash bracket.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/c/product/750439​-REG (external link)

It's the same as the one Tommy posted but half the length, i.e., half a meter so around 1.5 feet.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 07, 2012 21:35 |  #13

Phoenixkh wrote in post #14828227 (external link)
If you want short, this one works great. I use it with my Newton FR3 rotating flash bracket.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/c/product/750439​-REG (external link)

It's the same as the one Tommy posted but half the length, i.e., 1.5 meters.

Thanks Phoenixkh,
I ordered a bracket and that exact flash cord this morining from B & H. It's 1.5 feet though, as you made a typo. Another POTN member also recommended it via PM.

The reviews are very good, so I think I'm going to be quite happy with it.

God Bless

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

sponsored links

2,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon eTTL off-shoe cord recommendation
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.