Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Aug 2012 (Monday) 06:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe Camera Raw/Lightroom4 giving hot spots and noise?

takai
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 06, 2012 06:53 |  #1

Having a bit of a tiff [hah] with ACR at the moment. Took some shots on the weekend, not technically brilliant or even aesthetically that good, but meh, it was the presence of big red hotspots which was annoying me. Someone else suggested it might have been because of the RAW processor in Lightroom 4, rather than anything in camera. So i popped out my copy of Aperture 3 and just opened the file and reset the WB settings.

This is the difference:

IMAGE: http://gallery2.plebeians.net/d/34055-2/Screen+Shot+2012-08-06+at+9_36_01+PM.png
(Edit, changed picture res. Good luck seeing the chroma noise there).

To me thats a pretty huge difference from the same file, and has me wondering about the ACR plugin and how it works with the files from the 7D.

Anyone else had similar issues?

sponsored links
armis
905 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 06, 2012 07:22 |  #2

Constrast seems way higher in the LR screenshot, so you're not really comparing the outputs. Any NR in Aperture? Occasionally ACR (6.something for me) shows some noise in the preview screen, but when I open it in CS5 it disappears; I'm not sure why, but try exporting the LR pic to jpg and see if it's all somehow magically fixed?

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,287 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 06, 2012 09:39 |  #3

Are we looking at the default processing options for LR? You will need to adjust the image to get the look you want - this will include adding some noise reduction (in this case chroma NR) to suppress the color noise in your image.

Also - the exposure info on the LR screen shot says that the shutter speed (exposure time) was 66 seconds. Is this correct?! No wonder you have noise. What are Aperture's default NR settings versus LR? Can you provide the same screenshot from LR with some NR applied? My hunch is, that if you turn NR off in both applications and then make some basic tonal adjustments so that the WB, exposure and contrast are similar, you will probably see similar noise artifacts in both previews.

It may be useful to post a link to download the raw file (yousendit.com or similar free FTP service) so we can take a look without having to pester you with a ton of questions.

Also - you might get a finger wagging from the mods for posting an image greater than 1024 px on the longest edge - resize and repost your image. And while you are at it, the screenshot has your display profile embedded in it (Spyder 3 Express) - it may be helpful to convert to sRGB and repost for folks who do not have color managed browsers so they can see what you are seeing.

kirk

Kirk
---

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2012 15:06 |  #4

Good thoughts from kirkt. It looks like you might even have one or two "hot" pixels in the LR image because of the long exposure. Check your chroma/color NR settings for sure, and proceed from there.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 06, 2012 15:17 |  #5

Yes, please resize/repost your image to comply with POTN "rules"!

As to the "red hotspots", are you referring to the bright red pixels in your shot? Those are "camera hot pixels", which is quite common and normal with long exposures. Sometimes software can "catch" these and map them out, but if not you just need to use your software "spot removal"/clone feature. It looks like Aperture with its lower contrast and "toned-down" processing may have in the process mapped out spots that Lightroom didn't get to. And as was said it looks like Aperture applied a bit more noise reduction. The Lightroom/Camera Raw defaults are designed to apply a "lighter touch" to things. The don't create the noise, you just have to learn to work with the defaults or create your own new preset perhaps for your longer exposures.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 06, 2012 16:30 |  #6

i dunno if this is the case still for LR4 (ihavnt upgraded yet), but for a more accurate representation of noise reduction, you need to view the photo in "library" module. in the "develop" module, some times the noise reduction is not apparent until you zoom in. its a rendering compromise that Adobe made to speed up editing by not fully rendering all the adjustments when youre zoomed out.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

takai
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 06, 2012 17:04 |  #7

armis wrote in post #14820429 (external link)
Constrast seems way higher in the LR screenshot, so you're not really comparing the outputs. Any NR in Aperture? Occasionally ACR (6.something for me) shows some noise in the preview screen, but when I open it in CS5 it disappears; I'm not sure why, but try exporting the LR pic to jpg and see if it's all somehow magically fixed?

Same in both LR4 and CS5 and 6 on different machines. Contrast is higher in LR, but even with the contrast dialled back severely it still has the red blotches.

kirkt wrote in post #14820839 (external link)
Are we looking at the default processing options for LR? You will need to adjust the image to get the look you want - this will include adding some noise reduction (in this case chroma NR) to suppress the color noise in your image.

Also - the exposure info on the LR screen shot says that the shutter speed (exposure time) was 66 seconds. Is this correct?! No wonder you have noise. What are Aperture's default NR settings versus LR? Can you provide the same screenshot from LR with some NR applied? My hunch is, that if you turn NR off in both applications and then make some basic tonal adjustments so that the WB, exposure and contrast are similar, you will probably see similar noise artifacts in both previews.

Even cranking the chroma reduction to 100 doesn't remove these spots, they are still there in the LR renders.
In comparison the default settings with no NR in Aperture doesn't have them at all.

Yes its a 66 second shot, it is likely to have some noise, but of the other long exposure shots I've taken over the last few months none have had these red blotches.

stsva wrote in post #14822124 (external link)
Good thoughts from kirkt. It looks like you might even have one or two "hot" pixels in the LR image because of the long exposure. Check your chroma/color NR settings for sure, and proceed from there.

Its not hot pixels, the red blotchy spots are clusters of 10-20 pixels together.

imjason wrote in post #14822476 (external link)
i dunno if this is the case still for LR4 (ihavnt upgraded yet), but for a more accurate representation of noise reduction, you need to view the photo in "library" module. in the "develop" module, some times the noise reduction is not apparent until you zoom in. its a rendering compromise that Adobe made to speed up editing by not fully rendering all the adjustments when youre zoomed out.

That is zoomed in, both at 100%.

Have resized the original image, but you lose the ability to see the blotches clearly.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 06, 2012 17:10 |  #8

My understanding is LR removes these pixels, but I don't know if it does it on display or on output.

Please report your image as two images within the POTN image guidelines. Also post like for like please, not a 100% crop and a full view.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

takai
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 06, 2012 17:43 |  #9

tim wrote in post #14822653 (external link)
My understanding is LR removes these pixels, but I don't know if it does it on display or on output.

Please report your image as two images within the POTN image guidelines. Also post like for like please, not a 100% crop and a full view.

Doesn't do it on either, even with chroma noise slider to 100%.

In the OP its 1 image, and both apps are set to 100% crops.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,287 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 06, 2012 18:23 |  #10

So is the red channel clipped in the current LR develop settings?

I think, if you don't mind, it would be a good idea to put this raw file up for download. Amongst the POTN members we can run it through probably 10 different raw converters.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

2,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe Camera Raw/Lightroom4 giving hot spots and noise?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.