Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saving camera settings to computer?

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 07, 2012 21:29 |  #1

Is there any kind of utility that will allow you to list/print/save/restor​e the settings on Canon cameras? I know you can save/recall them using the custom mode dial settings, but is there any to save/document them externally?

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links
kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2012 22:17 |  #2

In the canon world the eos utility is the interface to the camera. I checked the eos utility manual and while there are options for setting shooting preferences there does not seem to be any way to save or restore camera settings and defaults.

Maybe there is a third-party utility out there, but I don't know of it.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 07, 2012 22:53 |  #3

Thanks. The EOS Utility was my first thought as well, but I didn't see the kind of functionality I was wondering about. And Canon may not even expose enough of their cameras' object models for a 3rd party to write such a program. IDK

Blane
Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,374 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 07, 2012 23:46 |  #4

You can on the 1d series, at least the last few models.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,124 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 08, 2012 03:13 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #5

Yes, but only them.
With a 7D, for example, you can save the flash settings to the computer and you can do the same with settings for the WFT-E5, but that's all.

Anders

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,590 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 08, 2012 07:31 |  #6

The Canon 1DMkIV has the ability to save its settings to the memory card. Go to http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=DoVCSCjSKl8 (external link) for the Canon tutorial that covers how-to-do. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any other models that havethe capability.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 09, 2012 05:25 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

If the process of writing them to the card, then putting them on the computer for storage, then having to take the card back to the computer at a later date to retrieve them, then having the camera read them off the card is not too much trouble, why not just use a pencil and a piece of paper? At least that way you can carry them in your bag, without the need of a computer.

In the early days of the space race several American test pilots were injured during super-sonic ejections because the sudden blast of a 600+ MPH wind snapped their heads backwards. The US Government spent HUGE sums of money developing a more aerodynamic helmet. The Soviets drilled a few holes in the back of the helmet.

The race to put a man on the moon occurred before portable computers came along. Astronauts had to write things down. During the race to get a man on the moon, NASA spent millions of tax-payer's dollars trying to develop a ball-point pen that would write in a zero-G environment. The Soviets gave their cosmonauts a pencil.

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box.

Gear List

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,124 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 09, 2012 05:51 as a reply to  @ TSchrief's post |  #8

Or not have an abundance of money.

Personally I think the value of saving camera settings to the memory card is there only as long as you use that storage to read them back from the memory card again, not if you take the tour over to the computer as well.
I use the method myself to save network setups for my WFT-E5B, since the WFT can hold five setups internally, but sometimes I move around among more locations than that. Then it's good to have a previous setup stored under a file name on the card.

Anders

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 09, 2012 06:53 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

apersson850 wrote in post #14834704 (external link)
Or not have an abundance of money.

Personally I think the value of saving camera settings to the memory card is there only as long as you use that storage to read them back from the memory card again, not if you take the tour over to the computer as well.
I use the method myself to save network setups for my WFT-E5B, since the WFT can hold five setups internally, but sometimes I move around among more locations than that. Then it's good to have a previous setup stored under a file name on the card.

I agree. Storing them on the card would be very convenient on my 60D, it only has 1 C setting. Moving everything to the computer seems a bridge too far.

Gear List

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,935 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 09, 2012 09:17 |  #10

TSchrief wrote in post #14834674 (external link)
If the process of writing them to the card, then putting them on the computer for storage, then having to take the card back to the computer at a later date to retrieve them, then having the camera read them off the card is not too much trouble, why not just use a pencil and a piece of paper? At least that way you can carry them in your bag, without the need of a computer.

Or you could copy settings to all your memory cards and never be without them, and never have to enter them manually again.

The race to put a man on the moon occurred before portable computers came along. Astronauts had to write things down. During the race to get a man on the moon, NASA spent millions of tax-payer's dollars trying to develop a ball-point pen that would write in a zero-G environment. The Soviets gave their cosmonauts a pencil.

Sometimes you don't want graphite floating around inside your spaceship or flammable tools being used. But you use them anyway until Fisher Pen Co. funds their own AG-7 pen research and provides it to NASA at retail prices.

Classic Internet mythology.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Ephur
618 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 09, 2012 09:32 |  #11

Interestingly, the Focal software saves camera settings before setting it how it wants, then restores them. It leads me to believe that through the SDK you could probably access and store a lot of settings. I wonder how complete the list is? No idea, but food for thought.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 09, 2012 09:59 |  #12

I created tables in a Word document to save the settings in C1, C2, and C3 in both my 7D and 5DIII. Filling out the table really makes you think about some of the AF settings. For me C1 is landscape defaults with mirror lockup and 2 second timer (assumes camera is on tripod), C1 is wildlife, and C3 is fast wildlife such as birds in flight. I am very glad we can save those use cases.

jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 09, 2012 10:19 |  #13

.....In the early days of the space race several American test pilots were injured during super-sonic ejections because the sudden blast of a 600+ MPH wind snapped their heads backwards. The US Government spent HUGE sums of money developing a more aerodynamic helmet. The Soviets drilled a few holes in the back of the helmet.

True or not these are great stories... going to remember these for a office staff meeting sometime.....

Thanks!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,374 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 09, 2012 10:49 |  #14

I always try to use false historical accounts to prove points in meetings, it does so much for general corporate direction! :)

For reference though so we are a bit more educated on this: http://www.snopes.com/​business/genius/spacep​en.asp (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 09, 2012 12:08 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

A good story, true or not, makes a point. That is all I was trying to do. I can see saving settings to the card. That makes sense. If you have to go through the trek back and forth to the computer, it would be easier to write them down. Setting up a camera is not - wait for it... - rocket science. Sometimes it pays to think about WHAT you want to accomplish. Default is not always the best option.

Gear List

sponsored links

4,325 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saving camera settings to computer?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.