Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 07:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nothing but trouble with Intuos 5

aepoc
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 10, 2012 07:00 |  #1

So, within the first couple days, I was loving this Intuos 5 tablet. Since then, I've been having nothing but trouble with it (even with the newest 6.3.3-4 driver from August 7th, 2012).

First off, I'd like to start by saying my computer is not in question. I'm running an AMD Phenom II 6-core processor, 16GB of RAM, Windows 7 64-bit. With the exception of Lightroom 4.1, everything runs outstanding on it.

Ok, so the issues with the tablet itself. It will randomly stop working with the pen, but be fine with touch capabilities. Sometimes the touch will work fine, and the pen jumps around the screen like it's trying to do something. Sometimes the express keys will not show the menu when I press lightly on them. Sometimes the express keys don't even work at all. Sometimes the pen input will INVERT itself, and move incredibly slowly. And of course, sometimes the whole damn thing doesn't even work at all... no pen, no touch; nothing. All connections are secure and where they should be. It's only one USB cable, not that tough.

I have tried switching USB ports (USB 2.0 to different USB 2.0, and USB 2.0 to USB 3.0) and that has not solved the issue. I contacted Wacom using their website's contact form (as it says to do) on July 19th and they said they'd get back to me in 1-2 business days. Not only did they not get back to me in 1-2 business days, they still haven't gotten back to me at all, and it's been 22 days.

So I decided to take my tablet back to Best Buy (after 27 days of trying to fix the issue myself) and got another one, hoping the issue was with the hardware itself. Best Buy exchanged it for a new one promptly, and with no question. It worked great for a day, and now is suffering from the same issues. I thought it was the driver released in July, and was very eager to try the 6.3.3-4 driver that Wacom put out on 8/07... but I am having the same issues, with the new tablet, new driver. Changing the USB port has not helped; changing the DEVICE has not helped; and changing the driver has not helped!! All of that leads me to believe this is a driver issue. And btw, Wacom doesn't tell us what they're "fixing" in the updates... it seems to me like they know something is up, and they're not saying it. Well, to be clear, Wacom isn't saying much of anything... at least not to me.

Also, is there a way to save our settings in the Wacom Tablet Properties utility? If there is a way to do it, I certainly haven't found it, which means their entire interface isn't exactly user-friendly... and I'm savvy as hell on computers. I really dislike having to re-enter all of my settings each time they "fix" the drivers.

And speaking of drivers... on the 6.3.3-4 update, apparently all you have to do now is tap 3 fingers and the radial menu will come up. You used to have to hold 3 fingers for it to come up. This is a fantastic upgrade (seriously) and it does speed things up for me (when everything else works). My gripe with it is that they should TELL YOU that now you only have to TAP 3 fingers, instead of HOLD 3 fingers... because coming from the older drivers to the new ones... if you hold 3 fingers and expect the radial menu to come up, it will never happen.

Overall, I am extremely frustrated, and contacted Wacom again last night.. and will be calling them later today. For 350 dollars, I expect this to be tried, true, solid, and 100% reliable. As it stands, my experience with the Intuos 5 is absolutely terrible. I feel cheated.

</rant>

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
aepoc.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

sponsored links
Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 10, 2012 07:16 |  #2

I had some issues with the intous 4 refurb I bought. I found through my own trouble shooting that the cable was at fault. I called them and they had a new one at my door in a couple of days. Other than wanting me to send the old one back to them (yeah right), it was pretty painless. Just my experience, but regardless I would recommend calling any company when something like this happens, not sending an email and waiting for them to call you. Hope you get it figured out and maybe try a different cable in the mean time just for s+g's.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 10, 2012 07:36 |  #3

Very interesting that yours was due to a faulty cable. Not sure my issue will be resolved by a new cable, as I returned the first device with everything it came with, including the cable, and the new one has a different cable and is suffering the same issues. But yes, I plan on calling them today definitely.

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 10, 2012 08:32 |  #4

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I bought one a couple of months back and it seems fine other than one problem that I think you are experiencing. The touch buttons on the left hand side are almost un usable. They work when they feel like it. I have found the only way for them to work is to touch the bottom button first and move my finger up but even then it hardly ever works.

Sorry I can't be of any help other than letting you know your not the only one frustrated. But you are obviously having way more troubles :(

5D Mark II | 7D
24L II | 50L | 100L Macro
Some other stuff
Can't find a Lee filter holder? - Cokin Modification for wide angle lenses

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 10, 2012 08:41 |  #5

Matt, thanks for the post. I'm glad I'm not the only one having the issue, to be honest... makes me feel like less of an idiot. It seems pretty apparent that Wacom released this thing prior to fully testing it all. I don't get it.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 10, 2012 08:46 |  #6

You are in a good position with one thing - you are able to take it back to best buy for replacement. That is one thing I envy so much from the states- it seems if anything is ever faulty it is simple for you guys to exchange it. It is not that easy in Australia. I would take it back again if it's easy and hope you got unlucky twice

5D Mark II | 7D
Some other stuff

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 10, 2012 08:52 |  #7

That's entirely possible, maybe I will take it back again, we'll see what Wacom recommends. Good point, I often forget how lucky I am that I am able to simply return things when they don't work as promised/advertised. It should be that way everywhere.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 10, 2012 09:09 |  #8

To be fair(ish), if I pay retail price from a major chain store here in Australia I would be able to return it without much trouble too. But I don't think any major stores like that here sell the Intuous and if they did it would be at LEAST double what you pay. And that's why I buy most of my stuff from the US

5D Mark II | 7D
Some other stuff

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 10, 2012 09:22 |  #9

Makes sense. Damn mark-up! :)

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 10, 2012 11:19 |  #10

Dustin Mustangs wrote in post #14839451 (external link)
I had some issues with the intous 4 refurb I bought. I found through my own trouble shooting that the cable was at fault. I called them and they had a new one at my door in a couple of days. Other than wanting me to send the old one back to them (yeah right), it was pretty painless. Just my experience, but regardless I would recommend calling any company when something like this happens, not sending an email and waiting for them to call you. Hope you get it figured out and maybe try a different cable in the mean time just for s+g's.

In a stroke of irony, mine stopped working all together today. The LED stays lit but none of the buttons, the mouse, or the pen do anything. I have no choice but to blame you aepoc, as this condition is obviously contagious, so I will be sending you the bill.  :p

Seriously tho, I would be returning this thing if I was not past the allowed time period. The minor benefit of having one just doesn't seem worth the hassle of dealing with the issues I have had. I guess I will just have Wacom send me a replacement and hope for the best.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 10, 2012 11:47 |  #11

Oh man! Sorry to hear that Dustin, that's no good. I suppose all you can do there is contact Wacom and see if they'll replace the unit, as you said. Heh, sorry to hear the issue is contagious. You can send me the bill... but I can't promise you I'll do anything about it :) If I'm able to get in contact with Wacom today I'll keep you posted.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 13, 2012 09:47 |  #12

Okay so, Wacom called me and they've sent me instructions on how to fix the issue (so they believe). They consisted of removing the drivers, uninstalling any remnants of any tablet files, rebooting in diagnostic mode, installing their newest driver, rebooting into normal mode. It worked fine for a couple days, and now is back to the exact same way it was, with all the issues.

Resting my finger over any of the express keys does not bring up the express key display. However, pressing the keys themselves DOES activate the desired action. Also, the tap 3 fingers for Radial Menu is not working. I changed the setting to have tap 3 fingers "Show Desktop", and it paused a few seconds, and then showed the desktop. I changed the setting back to Radial Menu, and it is not working. Basically what I can derive from all of this is that something is inherently wrong with the driver for displaying things on-screen. Pressing the express keys DOES do the desired action, but resting a finger on it does not show the express key display as it should.

And then, something interesting happens. When I press the toggle button that's in the middle of the touch ring, it moves from the upper left option, to the upper right option... and then the express keys no longer work at all, and pen function also ceases... while touch features work just fine. I recall this happening with my old device (before I returned it to Best Buy) and any versions of the driver that I have tried.

I am in the exact same spot as I was before, with the old device and drivers, except that another week has passed. This is still not working for me as it should be, and I really do not understand what's going on. I have sent my contact at Wacom an email on it, and we'll see what he says. After work I will be on the phone with him again.

*sigh*

Just wanted to update everyone.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 13, 2012 10:12 |  #13

Wacom has gotten back to me (promptly) and here's their suggestion:

"At this point I will need you to test the tablet on another computer to verify the driver and tablet work on another computer, please let me know if the tablet is working or if you get the same results"

I do not see this as a viable solution. Anyone else think this is absurd? These issues do not always happen, and sometimes, it's after working for hours on end.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 13, 2012 10:36 |  #14

I realise it's annoying for you but it's not really absurd for them to ask you to try it, since it's the only way to ascertain that the fault doesn't lie with your computer.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 13, 2012 10:38 |  #15

I understand that, but if it is my computer, then what? Get a new one? I don't think so.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

sponsored links

12,689 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nothing but trouble with Intuos 5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.