Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold lens, buyer complaining. What to do?

this thread is locked
TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 10, 2012 17:39 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I recently sold an EF 100mm f/2.8 macro lens on Craigslist for $400. I tested it at various focus distances and apertures a few days before listing it. I had no problems with it. The purchaser showed up to the transaction without a camera. Luckily, I brought one and let him use it to take some shots with the lens. I commented to him that I thought it was strange to buy a used lens without bringing a camera to test it with. He replied that he usually just looks at the front and rear elements and the condition of the lens. He took a few shots with it and deemed it worthy of purchase. He gave me full asking price with no attempt to quibble, which I also thought was odd. I e-mailed him later that day to ask how the lens was. He replied, "Its great." Today I get an e-mail from him stating that the lens is faulty, that Canon agrees with him, and that there will be a repair bill involved. His question to me is, "What are your thoughts on how to proceed?"

Does anyone have any comment on how to proceed with this? I do not knowingly sell equipment with undisclosed damage. I recently offered to sell a lens I don't use to another POTN member. After the buyer expressed interest, I thoroughly examined the lens, found a bit of fungus in it, called off the sale and donated it to a local high-school art department. I want to do the right thing, but I am afraid I may be getting gamed here.

Gear List

sponsored links
kboater
195 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 10, 2012 17:43 |  #2

TSchrief wrote in post #14841706 (external link)
I recently sold an EF 100mm f/2.8 macro lens on Craigslist for $400. I tested it at various focus distances and apertures a few days before listing it. I had no problems with it. The purchaser showed up to the transaction without a camera. Luckily, I brought one and let him use it to take some shots with the lens. I commented to him that I thought it was strange to buy a used lens without bringing a camera to test it with. He replied that he usually just looks at the front and rear elements and the condition of the lens. He took a few shots with it and deemed it worthy of purchase. He gave me full asking price with no attempt to quibble, which I also thought was odd. I e-mailed him later that day to ask how the lens was. He replied, "Its great." Today I get an e-mail from him stating that the lens is faulty, that Canon agrees with him, and that there will be a repair bill involved. His question to me is, "What are your thoughts on how to proceed?"

Does anyone have any comment on how to proceed with this? I do not knowingly sell equipment with undisclosed damage. I recently offered to sell a lens I don't use to another POTN member. After the buyer expressed interest, I thoroughly examined the lens, found a bit of fungus in it, called off the sale and donated it to a local high-school art department. I want to do the right thing, but I am afraid I may be getting gamed here.

I would tell the guy sorry, but you transaction and responsibility is over.
did he say how it is faulty? he bought it without even bringing a camera body, that seems weird enough. You were nice enough to let him test it on your body, or he would not have tested it at all. plus later that day he said it is great...

no responsibility on your end. for all you know, he dropped it or messed it up since buying it from you

you have no responsibility and should not feel bad or responsibile

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 10, 2012 17:44 |  #3

For Craiglist, I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do - it's more of a "he says, she says" kind of thing. No proof of payment; no record of transaction, nada. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, however ...

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 10, 2012 17:44 |  #4

What did Canon say is wrong with the lens? Do you know the seriel number of yours?

TSchrief wrote in post #14841706 (external link)

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

PG1
163 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 10, 2012 17:46 |  #5

He checked it out and bought it. It was working at the time and later according to his email. I don't think you are responsible for what has happened since. For all you know he may have damaged it...

Too much gear, not enough skill or time!
5DIII, 6D & 7D; 16-35 L, 24-70 II L, 70-200 f/2.8 II L, 100-400 L, 135 L, 35 L, 24 TSE L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8
Extender 1.4 II. 580 EX. Gitzo 1541T, 3541LS, Markins Q3T, Q20.

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 10, 2012 17:46 |  #6

What does faulty mean and did canon look at the lens or is this just from a phone conversation?

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 10, 2012 17:46 as a reply to  @ emelvee's post |  #7

"caveat emptor" - once the transaction has taken place, both offer and compromise, if any is completed.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,113 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 10, 2012 17:49 |  #8

If buyer tested it, bought it, said it was great 1 day later, no implied warranty or return policy = completely up to the seller as to what to do

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

jkru617
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 10, 2012 18:04 |  #9

Sounds like he is trying to scam you

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2012 18:05 |  #10

Could be a scammer having a broken 100/2.8 and trying to get his own, broken, copy repaired. Canon will obviously agree that the lens they see is malfunctioning.

So if Canon have given some information about the lens - make sure there is a documented serial number there.

On the other hand - I can't right now see what hidden error there should have been that didn't show up when the lens was demonstrated. Something breaking after he got the lens home isn't your problem. There is only an issue if it can be shown that there was a hidden problem with the lens, and that you should have known about it but decided to not tell.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 10, 2012 18:09 |  #11

Tell him to go away. Don't worry about it. If he is not tryin to scam you, and something really is wrong....tough luck to him.

I

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 10, 2012 18:13 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

OP here. I have the serial number from the lens I sold.

My question this time is: Will Canon diagnose a lens over the phone? In one day? And tell you to send it in? What could possibly be wrong with a lens we both shot and agreed was in fine condition, and now is faulty? He just got this lens yesterday.

My first inclination is not to respond at all. But that seems improper, too. I believe I should tell him that:
1.) He was going to buy it WITHOUT TESTING IT!
2.) He had the opportunity to test it. It passed his inspection.
3.) He replied 12 hours later that it was fine.
4.) How am I supposed to know he did not damage it after he got it?

I am a nervous wreck here.

Gear List

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 10, 2012 18:15 |  #13

duane0524 wrote in post #14841717 (external link)
What did Canon say is wrong with the lens? Do you know the seriel number of yours?

Agreed, if you know your SN check it against what he brings (assuming you would go that route - I wouldn't). He may be trying to switch out a bad one with a good one. In one day he got it to Canon and they know something is wrong with it? It all seems kind of shady. He didn't come with a camera to test it out is very odd? Paying your asking price is not, haggling(if any) on price should be done before you meet.

I assume when buying off CL you are going to test the equipment. Once done, it is done! So if you feel the need go with your conscience but also your gut. But something does not seem right here - at least to me.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,113 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 10, 2012 18:21 |  #14

TSchrief wrote in post #14841803 (external link)
OP here. I have the serial number from the lens I sold.

My question this time is: Will Canon diagnose a lens over the phone? In one day? And tell you to send it in? What could possibly be wrong with a lens we both shot and agreed was in fine condition, and now is faulty? He just got this lens yesterday.

My first inclination is not to respond at all. But that seems improper, too. I believe I should tell him that:
1.) He was going to buy it WITHOUT TESTING IT!
2.) He had the opportunity to test it. It passed his inspection.
3.) He replied 12 hours later that it was fine.
4.) How am I supposed to know he did not damage it after he got it?

I am a nervous wreck here.

Tell him it was an as-is sale, he tested the lens on your camera since he didn't bring one with him, he validated it worked himself, and he paid for it.

Just like if you buy something from a garage sale, you get no warranty or guarantee of longevity.

No, Canon will not diagnose over the phone, all they will ever say is "send it in, and we will check it over, and tell you what the cost is going to be to fix it".

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 10, 2012 18:21 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

OP again. I just bought a Sigma 70-200 OS HSM from Craigslist. I showed up with a camera, a flash and a laptop computer. I shot the lens 3 ways to Sunday and looked at the shots in LR4 before committing to the purchase. I feel that once we exchanged cash for lens, that the cash was his and the lens was mine, come what may. Is that how this is supposed to be done? I would never buy a used car, or a used toaster for that matter, without testing it first. This smells funny to me.

Edit: Would it be improper to just send him a link to this thread?

Gear List

sponsored links

9,564 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold lens, buyer complaining. What to do?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.