Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold lens, buyer complaining. What to do?

this thread is locked
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 11, 2012 10:47 |  #91

Maureen Souza wrote in post #14843015 (external link)
The guy is scamming you because Canon does not diagnose problems over the phone. It usually takes a couple of days after they receive the item to send you their diagnosis plus the cost of repairs if you choose to fix it. Don't respond to him (or to MDJak ;)) & stop worrying so much. The deal is closed.

Love the new avatar, Maureen. I think Skip needs to contribute a layout of you in G&N. I'm looking forward to it. ;) :lol:

BTW, this thread has run its course. I've said all that needs to be said.

As to the comment above which invites the buyer to start litigation, first we're not talking about a 250,000 dollar home that fell down when the big bad wolf blew on it.

Second, let's just wildly imagine that he did start litigation. Imagine the time and potential money involved in defending one's self.

It's been said over and over. There is NO fault here by the seller. He has NO requirement to do anything.

But as others have said, individual professionalism, the ability to sleep comfortably at night, knowing that you replied to the individual in a nice way, asked for proof of Canon's supposed diagnosis, none of that means you're making yourself liable at all.

By the way, OP, Maureen really Luvs me, so you can respond. In fact, you may wind up with a title of world's greatest lens seller, or LensHopper, otay, Grasshopper? :lol:

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 11, 2012 10:49 |  #92

Oh, and one final thing. You guys can go have your beer break. I'm heading over to the G&N forum. It's way prettier over there than here. :lol:

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 11, 2012 10:59 |  #93
bannedPermanent ban

MDJAK wrote in post #14844249 (external link)
Oh, and one final thing. You guys can go have your beer break. I'm heading over to the G&N forum. It's way prettier over there than here. :lol:

I tried G&N. Karen from Domwolf did absolutely nothing to calm me down. I am not a professional photographer and have no official basis for this comment. Those pictures of that model made me cry. I've never seen anything so beautiful. I don't have time to look, but I believe either 1 or 4 must be in the dictionary under the listing: Drop-Dead-Gorgeous! Woops! I think I need another beer.

Thanks to all who posted. I am ignoring the complaint. It has been 24 hours with no follow-up from the purchaser.

Gear List

job10
101 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 11, 2012 12:11 |  #94

I agree that this person has no claim - buyer beware - but a worse case happened to me years ago.

I sold 4 tires at a garage sale - they were in good shape but only about a third of the tread remaining. Some woman bought them for $100 and three months later came back to me demanding her money back as they had cuts in them and wouldn't hold air. I said sorry, sold as is, and besides it's been 3 months.

She took me to small claims court and unbelievably, I lost. I went to the courthouse and asked the judge how he could rule against me when they were sold AS IS? He said that I never actually said, in court, that the cuts weren't there when I sold the tires, which was untrue, but either way I lost.

I always add 'Sold AS IS' to all my Craigslist ads.

5D2|40D|17-40L|24-70L|70-200L II|100-400L| more vintage cameras than I care to count

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 11, 2012 12:20 |  #95
bannedPermanent ban

job10 wrote in post #14844491 (external link)
I agree that this person has no claim - buyer beware - but a worse case happened to me years ago.

Good idea. But, I think it could hurt the possibility of a sale. Which is probably still better than being sued, and losing. Don't worry, I'll be more careful in the future.

Gear List

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 11, 2012 12:23 |  #96

You make a good point about the vagaries and uncertainty of the judicial system. Never know who is going to lose or win. And it's not always the good side. Ever watch Judge Judy? :lol:

Now, since retiring about 2 years ago, I work freelance. If I had to take off a day from work to fight a small claims lawsuit, it would cost me 20 times what the OP here sold the lens for. I would have rather flush it down the toilet in that instance.

job10 wrote in post #14844491 (external link)

I sold 4 tires at a garage sale - they were in good shape but only about a third of the tread remaining. Some woman bought them for $100 and three months later came back to me demanding her money back as they had cuts in them and wouldn't hold air. I said sorry, sold as is, and besides it's been 3 months.

She took me to small claims court and unbelievably, I lost. I went to the courthouse and asked the judge how he could rule against me when they were sold AS IS? He said that I never actually said, in court, that the cuts weren't there when I sold the tires, which was untrue, but either way I lost.

dfdpiper
249 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2010
Location: Geographically I'm in Southern NH, but spiritually & creatively I'm still wandering.

Aug 11, 2012 12:31 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #97

I know that this thread has been replied to for awhile now, but something just came to me (and my apologies if it's already been stated):

If you still have the images you took during the test-clean period before you posted the sale as well as the tested-during-purchase period and they do not indicate any obvious flaws, you should have at least the peace of mind knowing that there is some proof that the lens functioned normally during that period. If nothing else, you have the exif data to prove (if it ever comes to that) when & under what conditions those shots were taken.

Just a thought......

Bob
If it isn't fun, why bother?
flickr (external link) http://www.bobpragoff.​com (external link)

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 11, 2012 13:44 |  #98
bannedPermanent ban

dfdpiper wrote in post #14844562 (external link)
I know that this thread has been replied to for awhile now, but something just came to me (and my apologies if it's already been stated):

If you still have the images you took during the test-clean period before you posted the sale as well as the tested-during-purchase period and they do not indicate any obvious flaws, you should have at least the peace of mind knowing that there is some proof that the lens functioned normally during that period. If nothing else, you have the exif data to prove (if it ever comes to that) when & under what conditions those shots were taken.

Just a thought......

I wish I had kept them. I just looked at them on the rear LCD, then deleted them. I will most definitely take photos and store them prior to selling any other piece of equipment. I currently have to old lenses for sale on e-bay, 28-105 II, and 70-210 f/3.5-4.5. I guess I should get busy. Still no second contact from purchaser.

Gear List

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 11, 2012 13:55 |  #99
bannedPermanent ban

Ignore it.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 11, 2012 17:27 |  #100

1) It was a used lens that tested fine in front of the buyer.
2) The buyer also confirmed of it's working fine afterwards.

From these two info, it seems you did you job fair and what the buyer stated afterwards just doen't seem right or honest.....

hmmm..... I would just email him and tell him these info, what else can you do?

kwando
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 11, 2012 18:14 |  #101

Like everyone else said he's SOL!!

Don't use your main email for CL.

Use a google voice number so you can block him if he constantly calls.

~Simon~
My Gear | My Feedback | Smugmug (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1213134

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 11, 2012 18:18 |  #102
bannedPermanent ban

kwando wrote in post #14845614 (external link)
Like everyone else said he's SOL!!

Don't use your main email for CL.

Use a google voice number so you can block him if he constantly calls.

Good ideas. What is Google voice? Can I use it with a cell phone?

Gear List

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 11, 2012 19:58 |  #103

OP - Try to find out what is wrong with the lens? If it is something you hadn't checked before selling then listen to your inner voice. In any case, you have no obligations. I try to be reasonable even when I sell on CL and people have been reasonable to me the same way. I bought a 17-40mm on CL at a reasonable price. I came home and noticed that EXIF says 19mm even though the lens was at 17mm. I tried it with 5D II and 1D III and both showed the same. I wrote back to seller and he said he didn't have this problem but agreed to pay for that. I sent it to Canon and they wanted more than $200 to which seller agreed. I was feeling bad about the whole thing so I asked him to refund me just $50 and be done with it and this is what he did. I would have done the exact same thing and sleep with peace.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 11, 2012 20:07 |  #104

I sold a 50mm f1.8 lens on FM that was in my closet for several years with no use but it was like new one. I took some wide open shots which were beautiful and sold it. About 45 days after the sale, I got an e-mail from buyer saying lens is defective as aperture blades get stuck and pics are overexposed if you go down to 4.5 or higher. I asked him why it took him so long - he told he bought it for someone else who was away and when she tried this is when she noticed. I checked the pictures that I had taken - all wide open. So, problem might have been there when I sold it. I refunded him immediately although even the buyer was saying that it was too late and he doesn't really expect at least full refund but I did refund him in full including what he spent on shipping. So just ask him and see what he says and then decide.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 11, 2012 20:21 |  #105

TSchrief wrote in post #14845625 (external link)
Good ideas. What is Google voice? Can I use it with a cell phone?

Do you have either an android or iphone? You should be able to go to voice.google.com, or just google, "google voice" and then sign up for a free number. You can even pick the number and local area code.

You can make/receive texts AND calls to that other number, on your personal cell phone as long as it's either running Android or it's an iphone.

I've been using it for years. I never use my personal email or cell number for CL stuff.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

sponsored links

9,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold lens, buyer complaining. What to do?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.