Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Feedback on Lensmaster RH-1, RH-2 or Wimberley SideKick Gimbals

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 11, 2012 11:15 |  #1

To all, like everyone else with a new longer telephoto lens I am considering buying some kind of gimbal. While I know the Wimberley is suppost to be best in class I came upon the Lensmaster products in the UK based on the recommendation of another POTN member.

I plan to use it with a Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS Mark I with either a 1.4x or a 2.0x teleconverter on a 1D Mark IV or 5D Mark III with BG-E11 grip. The tripod would be a Gitzo GT2531 (unless someone thinks that's not stable enough and I should move to a Series 3)

The reviews they post and the prices they offer are very compelling but before I pull the trigger I was wondering if anyone else has experience with either of these. I think I will pick one of these or the Wimberley Sidekick. Of course if you have experience with the Sidekick with a Markins Q-10 ball head please let me know as well.

Here are links to the Lensmaster and Wimberley products I am considering for fairness.

http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/ (external link)

http://www.tripodhead.​com/products/sidekick-main.cfm (external link)

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,526 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 11, 2012 13:19 |  #2

I've used gimbals with 500s before - both Sidekick style and full gimbal - and am currently using a Sidekick with my Sigma 120-300 on a Vanguard ball head. For the 300 range super tele, I am comfortable with a Sidekick and would recommend it as a lower cost/lower weight option.

However, anything bigger gets a full gimbal as I am not a fan of side mounting 8+ lb lenses.

As for the tripod, I have read great things about the 2531 and I think it would suffice for your needs.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,279 views & 0 likes for this thread
Feedback on Lensmaster RH-1, RH-2 or Wimberley SideKick Gimbals
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.