Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Aug 2012 (Monday) 08:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MKII Problem. Corrupted FIles??

Gab ­ Noziglia
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 13, 2012 08:50 |  #1

Hi there,
first post for me in the forum.
I recently bought my third 5Dmkii which I need for my wedding photography business.
I got to play with it at home for a few minutes, just to make sure it worked fine before actually taking it with me to weddings.
I sticked a SanDisc 16gb card in it and performed a in camera format and after a few dozen shots I started getting some weird looking images (corrupted I guess) with pink and white horizontal lines in it. To solve the problem I had to turn the camera on and off and the problem goes away.
I attached an image of the file in question.
After trying in for 5 minutes here and there in the past couple of days, the problem seemed gone but today I tried the camera again with the same 16gb cf card and the same problem showed up again. The camera keeps taking corrupted files until I turn it off and on again.

I was just curious to know if you guys think this might be a CF card issue or a camera flaw?
The problem doesn't occur consistently but quite randomly which makes it harder for me to identify the problem.

Thanks so much for your time.

Gabriele

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 13, 2012 09:42 |  #2

Is this starting life as a RAW or JPG?

Does it happen with a different card?

[edit]prior art on this problem: http://forums.dpreview​.com …age=41926773&ch​angemode=1 (external link). No answers though O_o[/edit]

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Gab ­ Noziglia
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 13, 2012 09:47 |  #3

Hey thanks, raw file.
I've tried with another card but not extensively... and nothing happened.
But again, it happens randomly and I haven't had the time to test the camera enough with different cards...
I just wanted to see if this happened to anybody before.

g

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 13, 2012 14:49 |  #4

Well, I was hoping someone with this problem and/or a 5D2 would chime in. I was concerned/curious that I may see this myself one day, so I searched around the web a bit. Looks like it's most likely to be a CF card problem or a copy-to-PC problem.

If you see the corruption on the camera LCD, then it's a camera problem for sure. If you don't see it, it could still be the camera. You should try different CF cards, and different PCs for the copy, maybe change from card reader to USB or USB to card reader. Change everything, but one thing at a time. If you have some corrupt images on the card, hang onto them to test the various copy-to-pc methods.

[EDIT]If the image is showing fine on the camera lcd, try rotating it 90 degrees and see if it still looks good (and rotated) on camera. Might be useful information to anyone looking to help.[/EDIT]

You could also give Canon Service a call and see if they will walk you through a diagnosis over the phone.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2012 15:15 |  #5

this problem has been happening to a lot of people apparently. don't think anyone came up with a reason.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Gab ­ Noziglia
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 14, 2012 04:57 |  #6

thanks guys,
I see the corruption on the camera LCD and once I get one of those corrupted files all the pictures I take afterwards look like that until I turn the camera off and on again....
I tried to find some info online but all 3ds don't really end up with a solution.

Thanks

g

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,170 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 14, 2012 05:23 |  #7

99% of these types of issues are either card or file transfer methods and not the camera.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

marcosphoto
80 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 14, 2012 08:06 |  #8

When you say you see the problem on the LCD, is that during the preview immediately after the shot or viewing with the play button after the fact? This small detail means everything. I owned a 5D2 for a year and a half, took easily 3000 shots. Never one corrupt file (lexar pro CF). I strongly feel it's your card, just try another for an extended period and you'll get your answer - they're cheap! It could be your camera but I say card. Besides, while SanDisk is a large reputable name, if you read all reviews (even non-photographic) you'll find a lot of comments saying they're not as fast as some others and there appear to be a lot more failures compared to say Lexar or Transend for example. Oh man, this is going to open a whole can of worms. :-) Remember, this is from info that I've read in my travels surfing and by no means scientific fact (although there was one or two official shootouts).

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 14, 2012 09:57 |  #9

If you are seeing this problem on the camera's LCD monitor, it's not a file transfer issue (such as a poor card reader-to-computer connection, something I've had similar probs with in the past).

In that case, it's either a problem with the camera or the card.

I'd remove the card and closely inspect the pins down in the camera's CF memory slot with a flashlight. Look for any bent pins or signs of an electrical short. Also inspect the problem card, the socket end of it, to see if there is any damage such as a pin broken off in one of the sockets or damage around any of the sockets. It is possible for memory cards to work partially, even with a damaged slot in the camera or sockets on the card. Not all those 40 or so pins are used and there are multiple paths for data to record to the card. But under certain conditions, a damaged slot or socket causes image issues. Particularly during heavier usage. Unfortunately, these also can be symptoms of other components in the camera starting to fail.

It also might be a "mystery fault" with the card that only shows up on this particular card. Try formatting the card in your computer, then again in the camera before using it. I've had "issues" with a card that a friend borrowed and used in her Nikon, after she returned it. Formatting in computer and again in camera solved the problem.

There are some memory card test apps available. One I have is part of a Lexar image recovery software. It's an applet within that software that tests and repairs memory cards. It's not uncommon for cards to have bad sectors... occasionally right from new, sometimes developed over time. Nearly all manufacturers test cards when they come off the assembly line and "map out" any bad sectors, flagging them so the camera won't use them. All cards have enough extra "head room" in them that a few bad sectors mapped off in this manner don't reduce the size at all. So you never know they are there.

If one of those sector flags fails or a camera doesn't recognize it for some reason, it's possible the bad sector might be used, giving problems. That's where the testing and repair app comes in handy.

You mentioned it was a Sandisk memory card. Those are usually quite reliable.

I'd be trying a different memory card extensively to see if it gives similar problems. If it does, there's a fault in the camera.

You might try rebooting the camera.... detailed instructions about doing that here in this other post.

You also might try a firmware update. Neither the reboot or the update are likely to solve the problem, but they are free and easy to try yourself.

If those don't help, then it's most likely a component in the camera failed.

Was the camera bought new or used? If new, I'd be sending it to Canon to have it checked under warranty. If used, well it depends.... if bought cheap it might be worth paying for a repair. If not, I might be talking with the seller about returning it for a refund, if that's an option.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,170 posts
Joined May 2002

Aug 14, 2012 09:59 |  #10

Take pictures without a card and see if you ever see a corrupted image on screen, might be another way to test. Once you hit a point where you see this with the card in the camera, just pop the card out, and take another shot.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Gab ­ Noziglia
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 16, 2012 08:08 |  #11

Thanks you so much for your replies! Lots of interesting inputs here.
I've been testing the camera with a different card and so far I'm not seeing any issue but I haven't been shooting extensively..
TeamSpeed, that's reassuring =)
Marco, I have my camera set up not to automatically show the picture after it's taken, it's when I press play that I see the problem and when it happens the problem persists until I turn the camera off.
Amfoto, thanks for such detailed reply, the camera is brand new, I checked all the pins closely and compared them to my other 5d bodies and I don't see anything strange.
It's weird because the camera seems to work perfectly and the problem just happened randomly (always with the same 16gb cf card).
I'll keep shooting with a lexar card I have and see how it goes.

I just hope it is a card issue, fingers crossed!

g

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,170 posts
Joined May 2002

Aug 16, 2012 08:54 |  #12

Lexar makes a great card, I am sure you have solved your issue. :)

Gab ­ Noziglia
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 16, 2012 09:00 |  #13

thanks for the encouragement!!!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 16, 2012 09:57 |  #14

As the owner of a 5D2, I'd really like to know if you ever track down the problem. Would you mind reporting back if and when you do?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Gab ­ Noziglia
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 16, 2012 11:11 |  #15

Absolutely! Hopefully someone with a similar experience will show up in this post at some point. If I ever find out I will update the post.
I've been googleing around but there's not much out there regarding this particular issue...

g

sponsored links

8,720 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MKII Problem. Corrupted FIles??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.