Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding with a G12...any tips?

Fenka856
68 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 14, 2012 08:21 |  #1

Tried the 430EX on the G12 and holy moly, it's huge lol. Don't have the funds for a 270 yet. Was just thinking that I should shoot it like an P&S. As much as I would like to be creative, I just want to have a higher number of good shots. No, it's not a professional shoot lol. It's just for my cousin and having good times.:lol: Mainly concerned with what ISO in a church so I guess it's more a basic photography question than anything.

Canon 350d / Tokina 11-16mm / 28-135mm 3.5 IS / 100-300mm f3.5-5.0 / *NEW* Canon Powershot G12 / 430 ex II /Canon 40mm 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
James33
539 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 14, 2012 10:26 |  #2

Find out if the church allows flash - most do not. If it doesn't, give up using the G12 to get any decent shots of the ceremony. At higher ISOs it will be very noisy to the point of being useless. I have a G12 and it's a nice point and shoot but it doesn't do that well in low light. Also, see about some triggers to get the flash off the camera. Grab an umbrella and a stand. It will be light years better. Just because it's for your cousin doesn't mean the photos can't be as good as possible. Good luck!

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​om (external link)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 14, 2012 10:56 |  #3

use the camera for candids. It will pretty much fall flat for anything else unless the venue is outdoors. Other than that, just enjoy the wedding.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 14, 2012 15:47 |  #4

Why not use your 350D?

I would check if the church allows flash. If so, have at it! Not too much, though. ;)

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

Fenka856
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 14, 2012 16:57 |  #5

^^^might go that route after all.

Canon 350d / Tokina 11-16mm / 28-135mm 3.5 IS / 100-300mm f3.5-5.0 / *NEW* Canon Powershot G12 / 430 ex II /Canon 40mm 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8

Motor ­ On
940 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 14, 2012 17:11 |  #6

Smaller camera may work out better if you're able to get close and get that emotion instead of people rushing to pose or stick on a fake smile, less big camera intimidation, if it's noticed at all before the flash pops off. If you can use your flash, set the ISO, flash power and shutter accordingly for how much background you want to include or black out. If you can't use the flash I'd crank the ISO (as much as you personally can tolerate) and go black and white with everything to help the noise you get look better, and still make sure you do indeed get the shot of those moments.

Here's an interesting seminar from someone that prefers to use smaller cameras for weddings, so if you use the G12, perhaps it'll provide some inspiration.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ojdHsMqGJz8 (external link)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 14, 2012 18:01 |  #7

Wedding photos are for life. Don't do it! Lol :D

Just rent a 5D

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 14, 2012 18:04 |  #8

I dunno if I agree completely with some of those guys' tips from that seminar video...

WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

Motor ­ On
940 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 14, 2012 21:17 |  #9

Simplistic wrote in post #14858948 (external link)
I dunno if I agree completely with some of those guys' tips from that seminar video...

Same here, but one style, one method and as far as using a smaller camera, I thought it may inspire and as he's been sought out by those who've seen his work, it clearly is effective for him. It was even more a shift for me as when the camera comes out around family and friends as I tend to grab and make the most use of the 70-200 for candids, and I tend to leave it wide open and have the blurred backgrounds. So for me, next time I'll be grabbing one of my wide zooms stopping it down and seeing what I can do to make everything else around my subject tell a story. I'm pretty sure every photographer out there is willing to offer me advice that I won't agree with, but almost every photographer out there that's willing to talk about their work has something to offer than I can learn from and try, experiment with, do and to otherwise improve my own minds eye or technical ability to make what is in my minds eye show on screen or in a print. I love those B&H seminars though, some are way better than others, but I'm yet to sit through one in my spare time that I haven't gotten something helpful out of.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Eiro
Goldmember
1,342 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 14, 2012 21:52 |  #10

Are there going to be other photographers there ? or just you ?

Get out and shoot

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 14, 2012 21:57 |  #11

if it is anything like the comparabale Nikon P7000 in terms of focus speed ........... don't bother, even if using the flash.

almost fast enough to catch the moment therefore not fast enough to catch it in focus lol

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 15, 2012 01:10 |  #12

@Motor On Yeah! It's the same with me and the audio industry. I'm a film sound designer/mixer by trade and I have the same exact viewpoint as you when going to seminars or chatting with colleagues. I guess I should treat photog similar and look for the good things and discard the things I don't want to use. ;) /foot in mouth

~Q~
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 22, 2012 18:39 |  #13

the shutter lag would be your big drama when photographing a wedding where the split seconds counts for getting or not getting the photo.

I love my G12 but not for wedding photography unfortunately

Love the junior member badge; it's a long time sine I called a junior LOL

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 22, 2012 21:27 as a reply to  @ ~Q~'s post |  #14

I shot a wedding for friends a couple of years ago with my G11, not a pro shoot, just to help them capture more photos of the event in our church. Lighting was pretty low, and I had to use ISO 3200 most of the time. It was pretty grainy, and I still had to use fairly slow shutter speeds (like 1/25 sec), especially for zoomed shots (about 130 mm equiv with f/4.5). You would be better off with your 350D at ISO 1600.

Dennis

sponsored links

2,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding with a G12...any tips?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.