Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 14 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 09:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24" Mointor Questions---

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 14, 2012 09:23 |  #1

Need to get a new monitor and looking for IPS screens. Been looking around on here and at reviews and it seems a bunch of people on here like the Dell U2412M. The question-- is the HP ZR2440w better for the ~$100 more or is there another monitor that may be comparable in the price range?
Or ASUS PA248Q or NEC?
Also if anyone knows about the coatings- do they cause light reflections?
Thanks in advance.

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 14, 2012 12:03 |  #2

I originally got a LG IPS235v and it was doing fine for the 190$ i spent for it.

I returned it 21ish days later and got the Dell U2412m and love it. The LG was fine but I read so many reviews that ding'd its little here and there's that i felt going with the Dell U2412m would be a safe bet so i took my LG back and picked up the Dell.

If I were on a total budget though i would of stayed with the LG. I just scared myself with seeing the repetitive recommendations of the Dell that i jumped LG ship.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 14, 2012 13:12 |  #3

Bleufire wrote in post #14857444 (external link)
I originally got a LG IPS235v and it was doing fine for the 190$ i spent for it.

I returned it 21ish days later and got the Dell U2412m and love it. The LG was fine but I read so many reviews that ding'd its little here and there's that i felt going with the Dell U2412m would be a safe bet so i took my LG back and picked up the Dell.

If I were on a total budget though i would of stayed with the LG. I just scared myself with seeing the repetitive recommendations of the Dell that i jumped LG ship.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that there is a ton of positive reviews about the U2412M.

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 14, 2012 18:59 |  #4

Haven't looked at recent models, but I have an HP ZR24w and absolutely love it. The only thing that I would consider a slight "con" would be that it seems to take about five minutes to warm up to it's full brightness. Not a big deal to me, really, and I'm not sure if it's a common issue.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

Moppie
14,837 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 14, 2012 19:38 |  #5

I'm currently sitting in front of a pair of 2412's, they are very nice and even compare well to my 2711 and 2410 I use at home.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 14, 2012 20:08 |  #6

jsvphoto wrote in post #14859127 (external link)
Haven't looked at recent models, but I have an HP ZR24w and absolutely love it. The only thing that I would consider a slight "con" would be that it seems to take about five minutes to warm up to it's full brightness. Not a big deal to me, really, and I'm not sure if it's a common issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Moppie wrote in post #14859279 (external link)
I'm currently sitting in front of a pair of 2412's, they are very nice and even compare well to my 2711 and 2410 I use at home.

Thanks and it seems that quite a few people like their 2412's and have quite high remarks on quality.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 14, 2012 23:26 |  #7

Moppie wrote in post #14859279 (external link)

I almost went 2711 but the thought of having two 2412's was much dreamier than a single 2711. The wiff would not approve 2x 2711's if I tried.

+ i would actually have to purchase a video card capable of 10 bit color output. Meh. Too much work at that point! LoL!

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

Moppie
14,837 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 14, 2012 23:35 |  #8

I've got a 2711 and 2410 in front of me now, they work very well together.
Both are running from an 8bit workflow, I've seen a 2410 on a 10bit workflow and I'll be damned if I can see the difference.

The increased resolution over the 2412s is nice, and the tonal graduations are a little bit smoother compared to the 2412s. I've yet to see banding on the 2711 or 2410, but do occasionally catch it on the 2412s.

If your on a budget, or not doing anything high end then the 2412 is fantastic.
I use it for what I call mass production photography, lots of batch editing, high volume, every things exported to JPEG and small print sizes.

The 2711 and 2410 are used for my fine art and commercial work, jobs with much higher production standards.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links

1,679 views & 0 likes for this thread
24" Mointor Questions---
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.