Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Portraits Sequence, Question????

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 15, 2012 11:39 |  #1

What sequence do you shoot immediately after a wedding? I have a wedding this weekend and I'm trying to organize the sequence. There will be some portrait types of the Bride and Groom saved for last, of course.

The question is whether you do the larger family/group shots first or whether you do the smaller or individuals first, such as flower girl, ring bearer, Bride/Bridesmaids, Groom/Groomsmen, etc

Thanks,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,243 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 15, 2012 11:43 |  #2

Always do things involving the kids first. I then start with the biggest most inclusive group shot, then start dismissing the people that dont fit in the mix as I go. By the time we get to the bride and groom's portraits we have fewer people milling around providing distractions.

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 15, 2012 15:26 |  #3

Shots with children and old people should be first so they can be excused. Ideally, you want to do at least the bride with bridesmaids and groom with groomsmen PRE-ceremony so you can save some time.

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 15, 2012 16:39 as a reply to  @ auroraskye's post |  #4

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd love to get the Bride with Bridesmaids prior to the wedding but don't think time will allow. Most ceremonies I've attended, the Bride is always pressed for time anyhow.

I could however get some of the Groom and Groomsmen though. That would be good.

Just as a side note, do y'all shoot "evaluative" or "center weighted"? I assume evaluative due to the typical high contrast between the Bride and Groom. This will be my first wedding since going digital so that's an option I didn't have prior...

Take care,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 15, 2012 17:56 |  #5

I shoot in evaluative, though for me, because I shoot in Manual mode, this only has relevance for how my camera is metering--and I definitely do read (and interpret) the metering from time to time.

Similar to what others above suggest, I start with the largest group, move to families (kids first); I dismiss them and do the fun shots with the bridal party; and then I have the B+G alone for a good half hour.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 15, 2012 20:22 |  #6

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you ask the couple to create a list of all the groups they'd like photos of then ask them to nominate a family member or friend who can round people up and get the group photos moving along.

And I agree, start with the kids, seniors, big groups first.

Hope that helps :)

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 15, 2012 20:38 |  #7

Grandparents first

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 15, 2012 22:22 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #8

Just as a side note, do y'all shoot "evaluative" or "center weighted"? I assume evaluative due to the typical high contrast between the Bride and Groom. This will be my first wedding since going digital so that's an option I didn't have prior...

I shoot in manual and spot meter on faces. But which metering you use is all about knowing exactly how your meter will react to different things.

But I shoot family with my Quadra, so metering is kinda moot. It is the same every time.

I do everything I can before the wedding.

After the wedding, I usually do:

B&G+Pastor [pastor dismissed unless family]
B&G
B&G+B Parents
+B siblings (spouses+kids if they exist)
+B Grand parents
+All people related to Bride
Dismiss B Family

Copy all that with the groom.

Then BM/GM shots and couple portraits.

If they want to deviate, I tell them to factor in about 3 minutes per shot.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 16, 2012 06:42 |  #9

I know I'm duplicating, but yes, kids and the elderly first as they both have the least patience for photos. Then largest groups down to smallest groups.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 16, 2012 06:50 |  #10

scorpio_e wrote in post #14863915 (external link)
Grandparents first

I agree. They are the first ones that usually get cranky at weddings. Get them done first and let them go to the reception hall.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2012 08:18 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #11

Thanks for all the input. I've got a detailed list but will now put them in desired order. I will start with children and Grandparents first and then large groups down to small groups, as suggested.

The wedding rehearsal is tonight, so wish me good luck!

God Bless

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2012 10:32 |  #12

Good Luck and post some picts!!!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 16, 2012 10:48 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #14861872 (external link)
Always do things involving the kids first. I then start with the biggest most inclusive group shot, then start dismissing the people that dont fit in the mix as I go. By the time we get to the bride and groom's portraits we have fewer people milling around providing distractions.

^^^ This.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,645 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Portraits Sequence, Question????
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.