Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 01:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

black and white with camera raw

silma
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 16, 2012 01:55 |  #1

I Tried the b&w conversion via camera raw...suggestions needed

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6142/6011636025_2c825a1cb4_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lucasano/601163​6025/  (external link)
aigues mortes 2 (external link) di LucaSano (external link), su Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6124/6011636227_ac15043f8c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lucasano/601163​6227/  (external link)
saint remy de provence (external link) di LucaSano (external link), su Flickr

my flickr (external link)

my dreamstime (external link)

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Aug 16, 2012 02:01 |  #2

Both seem to be underexposed and low in contrast...Not sure what you were going for here, but I think you need to try again.

Mark

erikfig
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 16, 2012 05:48 |  #3

De-saturating a photo is not the same as converting to B&W. As mentioned above, Underexposed and low contrast. For better results, use "Convert to Gray Scale" in Camera Raw and play with the sliders.

A quick edit of the jpeg:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 16, 2012 21:20 |  #4

Erik is on the right path with this. The only issue with this method is you end up with little midrange contrast.

Sometimes desaturating colors works. But often enough, it doesn't work. So you have a couple of options. You can still do the desaturate and apply color filters to them to manage contrast. Or what I like to use is the mid-range contrast adjustments in aperture. Plus there are a ton of third party B?W plugins that work wonders at keeping the full tonal range in conversions.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

fotoray
39 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 17, 2012 16:54 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #5

If B&W result is all you want, is there any difference in achievable end result if shooting B&W in the camera (Monchrome picture Style for Canon), rather than shooting color in camera and converting to B&W in PP?

Found some answers to my questions already posted on POTN at

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=933874

The consensus seem to be that converting to B&W in PP is preferred, as you have more control.

Canon 5D MkIII | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF 17-40L | EF-S 17-85 | EF 24-105L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60mm macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

silma
THREAD ­ STARTER
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 20, 2012 04:34 |  #6

thanks everybody, sorry for this late answer, I was away from home for a few days.
Alle the shots were taken in full sunlight in summer in southern France, so it was hard to expose correctly for both the subject and the sky. I preffered to underexpose the shots and then tried b&w conversion to reduce the effect of strong sunlight a bit more. I'm only a beginner, so every comment is more than welcome

my flickr (external link)

my dreamstime (external link)

sponsored links

1,591 views & 0 likes for this thread
black and white with camera raw
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.