Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 25, 2012 08:50 |  #166

i-G12 wrote in post #15167296 (external link)
I got mine just a few weeks ago. Works just fine. You don't want it sliding too easily otherwsie it won't stay where you put it. ::shrug::

Is your strap similar to my first strap or the second one ?

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

sponsored links
i-G12
Wat?
1,901 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 25, 2012 09:17 |  #167

Second one.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 25, 2012 10:02 as a reply to  @ i-G12's post |  #168

lannes wrote in post #15166622 (external link)
Disappointed , that my new Cinch is not as good as my old one.

The reason is that there is too much friction in the sliding mechanism of the new one caused by the webbing on the leather tab.

If you look at the picture, on the left is the old strap and on the right is the new strap.

You'll notice the old strap has wider webbing attached to the leather strap, this webbing is thinner and of a finer weave to the new strap webbing which is thicker and has a larger weave.
The extra thickness of the new strap webbing causes increased resistance against the main strap which has to slide underneath it, this causes it to jam when you try and pull down the tab.
In the picture you can see the new webbing squashing onto the main strap underneath it, while the old thinner, finer webbing has a lot of clearance.

The thinner original webbing doesn't rub against the main strap and allows it slide easily through, which makes it easy to cinch up the strap

Also because the webbing is thinner in width than the old strap webbing , this allows the leather tab to pivot at an angle causing it to catch and creates more resistance as the force of pulling down the tab is not directed straight along the main strap.
The old strap webbing is about the same width as the leather tab, but the new one has much narrower webbing which causes the problems

QUOTED IMAGE

GAKoenig is there someway this can be rectified, as the strap does not work as designed because of the significant extra friction from the thicker and narrower leather tab webbing
The main advantage of the Cinch design makes it quick to shorten the strap, but the extra friction causes it to jam and then the neoprene stretches when you try and pull down the tab further.

Do you have any of the older production run ?

DarthVader wrote in post #15167249 (external link)
That's a problem, where is gakoenig ? :).

Well, POTN isn't the LUMA support site. Try contacting him directly.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 25, 2012 13:19 |  #169

lannes wrote in post #15166622 (external link)
Disappointed , that my new Cinch is not as good as my old one.

The reason is that there is too much friction in the sliding mechanism of the new one caused by the webbing on the leather tab.

If you look at the picture, on the left is the old strap and on the right is the new strap.

You'll notice the old strap has wider webbing attached to the leather strap, this webbing is thinner and of a finer weave to the new strap webbing which is thicker and has a larger weave.
The extra thickness of the new strap webbing causes increased resistance against the main strap which has to slide underneath it, this causes it to jam when you try and pull down the tab.
In the picture you can see the new webbing squashing onto the main strap underneath it, while the old thinner, finer webbing has a lot of clearance.

The thinner original webbing doesn't rub against the main strap and allows it slide easily through, which makes it easy to cinch up the strap

Also because the webbing is thinner in width than the old strap webbing , this allows the leather tab to pivot at an angle causing it to catch and creates more resistance as the force of pulling down the tab is not directed straight along the main strap.
The old strap webbing is about the same width as the leather tab, but the new one has much narrower webbing which causes the problems

QUOTED IMAGE

The main advantage of the Cinch design makes it quick to shorten the strap, but the extra friction causes it to jam and then the neoprene stretches when you try and pull down the tab further.

lannes, I'm glad you brought up this issue. I hope the rectify this problem.

I'm also still waiting to hear back from Luma regarding my exchange. It's been 2 weeks since I heard back from Duncan about a different issue. Not sure why I've heard nothing form them, this has happened on more than one occasion.

Update: just heard something back from Luma today regarding my issue... will report back on the new webbing once I receive the item.

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 25, 2012 13:52 |  #170

It's obvious from the pictures they have changed the design.. I'm sure the new one will work, but if it doesn't work as well why change things? If it is to save money and it doesn't work as well I'll be disappointed. I'm still waiting for my order to ship, but this concerns me. I hope we hear something on this soon.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 25, 2012 14:37 |  #171

Looks like they want to make it stronger maybe too much.

ThreeGuysPhoto wrote in post #15168544 (external link)
It's obvious from the pictures they have changed the design.. I'm sure the new one will work, but if it doesn't work as well why change things? If it is to save money and it doesn't work as well I'll be disappointed. I'm still waiting for my order to ship, but this concerns me. I hope we hear something on this soon.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 25, 2012 15:39 as a reply to  @ DarthVader's post |  #172

Just received mine. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. I ordered the "big" size. I am 6' and 220lbs and the big strap is perfect. I cannot imagine a smaller strap on me.

2. The build quality is remarkable.

3. It's a little heavier than my Domke strap, but it's primarily due to the squishy stuff inside the neoprene shoulder pad. The fittings are all aluminum and very light.

4. I definitely need some sort of QR system with swivels because I can see the strap getting tangled without some swivel clips.

5. Once on, the pad is extremely comfortable on the shoulder. The adjustment strap is very smooth, but not loose and is very easy to use.

Looking forward to putting it to the test. I also need to QR system because I have it attached to the bottom of the grip same as lannes in a previous post. However, I often remove the grip when I go into the city or on mini-vacations to make the camera lighter to carry. I would need a QR to attach to the tripod mount or the other body mount to interchange easier and quicker. Other than that, I'm sold. Excellent product from Luma!

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 25, 2012 17:37 |  #173

xeodragon wrote in post #15168424 (external link)
lannes, I'm glad you brought up this issue. I hope the rectify this problem.

I'm also still waiting to hear back from Luma regarding my exchange. It's been 2 weeks since I heard back from Duncan about a different issue. Not sure why I've heard nothing form them, this has happened on more than one occasion.

Update: just heard something back from Luma today regarding my issue... will report back on the new webbing once I receive the item.

Yes I was a bit disappointed with cinching action on the latest strap, unfortunately I don't think it will wear in over time. The first strap is great the cinching up action is perfect, the second one gets hung up all the time.
I've sent a message to their support area, I'll report back on their response.

What was your problem ?

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 25, 2012 17:54 |  #174

I'm debating canceling my membrane connector with the quick release mechanism around the corner. Hmmm...

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 25, 2012 18:12 |  #175

lehmanncpa wrote in post #15168970 (external link)
1. I ordered the "big" size. I am 6' and 220lbs and the big strap is perfect. I cannot imagine a smaller strap on me.

Interesting, I'm 6'1" and same "slim" weight and Greg told me to order a "regular" size. Now I have doubts.

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 25, 2012 19:03 |  #176

LPMM wrote in post #15169487 (external link)
Interesting, I'm 6'1" and same "slim" weight and Greg told me to order a "regular" size. Now I have doubts.

I think you'll be fine, but you'll have to loosen the back strap. I have mine at 1/4 slack (3/4 remaining). With the normal, you might have to loosen 3/4 and have 1/4 remaining.

I also like to have it low on the hip and in Toronto winters (half the year), I wear lots of heavy jackets and coats that require me to loosen the strap even more.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

TejasPOWER
64 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 25, 2012 20:29 |  #177

328iGuy wrote in post #15157972 (external link)
Great, more money to spend on Luma! :lol:

whmeltonjr wrote in post #15163778 (external link)
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

DITTO!!!..... I want to sign up for the first run too.

danpass wrote in post #15161043 (external link)
I finally found (online I mean) what I was looking for originally as I have only one of these:

http://global.itwnexus​.com/content/structsur​e-hook (external link)

That is cool too.

Canon T3i | Luma CINCH | Motorsport fan -BMW, TOYOTA & MINI | BMWCCA (external link) | TTORA (external link)
Always looking to learn and to be better than before.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 25, 2012 22:46 |  #178

We didn't change the design. The person assembling pull-tabs may have gotten confused and put the wrong webbing on. We have some thicker 3/4" webbing around for prototype work and he must have used it instead of the thinner webbing we use on the pull-tab.

I don't know how many units went out like this, but if you've got one where the slide mechanism seems super stiff, we will be happy to swap it out for you ASAP.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 26, 2012 00:17 |  #179

Ducan from Luma labs support has contacted me to arrange a replacement for the problem strap, so thanks to Luma Labs for the prompt response.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 26, 2012 06:40 |  #180

gakoenig wrote in post #15170380 (external link)
I don't know how many units went out like this, but if you've got one where the slide mechanism seems super stiff, we will be happy to swap it out for you ASAP.

Mine works great. My Cinch was ordered on 9/26, was shipped out on 10/13 and I received it yesterday (just in case you need that information to determine what batch the faulty one may have been in).

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

sponsored links

279,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.